DIY Caribou

S

Spome

Considering and at begining stage of planning a general tag Caribou hunt. Considering Kodiak Island area. Anyone with any experience there or with this hunt have any pointers??

I am currently planning a DIY caribou hunt as well. So far I havent had a lot of luck. Ive sent emails to probably 10 different air service companies and haven't got one reply and that was a week ago. If im not mistaken I dont believe there are any caribou on kodiak island. From my research it seems that northern alaska is the place to go right now. Good luck with your search. Just spend some time scouring the internet and you can find plenty of companies out there that offer DIY caribou hunts.

I've hunted northern alaska in the brooks range for DIY caribou and my party did really well. 5 caribou for 4 guys. It was expensive due to the flight from fairbanks North but if you are looking for less expensive then get to Anchorage for the herds around there or go to Fairbanks and hunt the Toll Road (Pipeline).

Hunted Kodiak twice for deer. Southern end is 'supposed' to have a small herd, we never saw any and covered a lot of ground but were looking for deer. Might be a needle in a haystack trying to find them.

Kodiak Island is not the place to hunt caribou. There is a small number on a huge island. You should contact air services in Kotzebou or call 40-mile air in Tok, Alaska.

Have you guys looked at going to Adak, I have heard there is a great herd of Caribou there, just google it and see.
OMB

There's room for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potato's and gravy.

Adak did have a reputation for producing huge bulls but it now apprears the number of bulls is down. Adak can also be a difficult place to get in & out of. It is also an expensive place to fly to. If you go you can rent trucks or 4-wheelers to get around.

checkout Alsakaoutdoorsforums.com there is enough info there to put together almost any Alaska DIY hunt. Probably wouldn't hurt to pay one of the DIY consultants you find there a few hundred dollars, I hear it's worth every penny.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom