Do bears smell?

huntn30inchers

I was out hunting yesterday and as I was walking through a thinned patch of trees there was a really overwhelming musky/poop smell that I have no idea what it could have been. I figured it was either a bear or sasquatch and i was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on what it might have been.

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!

They roll in some aweful stinky stuff, not too mention they eat rotten meat.
Lions smell as well....yuck!!!!!!

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

Guess that answers the age old question:

"DO BEARS CRAP IN THE WOODS?"

RUS

Haha, well I found lots of evidence that they do in fact crap in the woods. I guess I'm just going to assume that it was a bear that I smelled. I dont like that at all, cats dont worry me but I dont know what I think about bears.

Does the smell linger or does the fact that I could smell it mean it was close?

He was probably there within the day if you could smell him that strong. No worries though, anywhere you hunt around here there's always going to be black bears in the area, and they wanna stay away from you alot more than you wanna stay away from them.

lmao. smell them. wait till you can taist one in the wind. if you didnt like smelling one your realy gona freak when you get that close. brings up a good question. not to sidetrack the post. how many use your taist to find elk or deer. i know most use smell for elk?

LAST EDITED ON Oct-31-08 AT 09:54PM (MST)[p]I don't remember the term for when an elk licks the air to help identify what is in the immediate vicinity. I've observed it in cow elk, twice, in windy conditions, during which the wind was shifting directions rapidly. The theory is that when the scent is strong enough to get the animal's attention, but not enough to clearly identify, they will taste the air currents, as well as smell them. I thought it was a "flemming response" but found nothing when I googled it...

I often smell elk, occasionally deer, very rarely other more rank things that may be predators. It never occurred to me to try and get a taste.

I have a pair of scentlock hunting gloves I wore when skinning my Prince of Wales black bear two years ago. When I bury my nose in them I can still smell that bear and they have been washed several times. Needless to say, I wouldn't wear them again for hunting anything but bear.

Nothing worse ? after pack?in out a POW bear, I passed on shooting one the next day just because they smell so bad it wasn?t worth skinning another one. After 3 years I could still smell it on my knife.

Maybe it was a meet eating orange animal that left the smell out while out rifle hunting. Did you see anything white laying around?

Archery is a year round commitment!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom