Do you eat what you kill?

Starling, jacks, yotes do not get eaten but everything else does from doves to moose and everything in between.
Yes, I hunt for the sake of hunting and the meat and trophy are both on my mind.
I guess I'm neither a meat hunter nor a trophy hunter. I'm just a hunter!
Remember: if you don't mount it, it's just a meat animal anyways and damn few critters get mounted compared to all the ones killed and eaten.
Zeke

The vermin are left for the buzzards and the worms, the rest take the long way to my septic system.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-08-15 AT 05:09PM (MST)[p]I try to get as much meat off the animal that I harvest and use it all for me and my family. We're not big eaters, so I trophy hunt when we still have meat in the freezer.

I eat everything I kill. I rarely kill anything I don't intend to eat. I also like to kill larger than average specimens.

I eat a lot more tag soup than I did 20 years ago...

I like wild game; so does the wife.

my family and I love eating game(Rabbit, squirrels, game birds, deer, antelope, elk, etc.). I probably wouldn't kill if I wasn't going to eat it. I understand that some don't eat or like game and I'm ok with that as long as the meat is salvaged and given to someone who will eat it. I never ate a varmint and don't plan on doing it. Some things are edible and some aren't. I guess if you were crazy and or hungry enough you could eat the soles of your boots too.

I Kill what I eat!

We laugh, we cry, we love
Go hard when the going's tough
Push back, come push and shove
Knock us down, we'll get back up again and again
We are Members of the Huntin Crowd!

I eat a helluva lot of tag soup! Gotta add a lot of seasonings and veggies to choke it down but I've been eating tag soup for many decades. Every now and then I get some fresh meat in the freezer to supplement my tag soup diet...

I have not bought burger in over 20 years. the only store meat I buy is chicken, pork if I run out before I can get one from a neighbor to butcher and ribeyes for the grill.

I love to eat wild game but I do not eat everything I kill. I eat all the antelope I can get. They are one of my favorite right now. I like muleys a lot more than whitetail, I think becuase of the higher fat content. I kill a lot of coyotes for management purposes and I ain't gonna break down and start eating those vermin. I have been at war with pigs on family property since I was 16. I have killed literally so many it can not be calculated and there is no way I can eat that much. Not in a hundred lifetimes. Plus the rate at which I kill them doesn't leave enough hours in the day to skin them some days. I. Tried eating one of the mountain Lions I killed. I doubt I will try that again. I ate on a mountian goat once. Flavor wasn't bad but I could have eaten a shoe faster. I like to eat ducks. I love quail but I don't get those much anymore. Love to eat salt water species and bass. Haven't ever liked catfish. Right now the only animal I think I would kill strictly for meat and not care about the trophy or the challenge of hunt would be an elk. Never was impressed by them but sure liked eating it when I could.

If You'll Eat a Quacker Tri!

You'll eat any Damn thing!

We laugh, we cry, we love
Go hard when the going's tough
Push back, come push and shove
Knock us down, we'll get back up again and again
We are Members of the Huntin Crowd!

I don't trophy hunt but eat almost everything we kill. Have tried lion had it smoked wasn't to bad deer,elk,bear,if and when I kill any of those creatures I Trap coons have not tried that always tell my wife to make coon soup she hasn't yet might be a little bit nasty tasting.
I do have a coonskin had tanned, and a wood duck mounted,and a lion rugged out

I used to tell people "I'll try anything once, twice if it feels or tastes good!". That's pretty much true for all game too. Some I like, some others like more than I do, and I provide for them. Nothing ever gets left except varmints tho; I rather not do it than waste it.

I eat it or I don't shoot it.
More of a trophy mule deer hunter. Only shot 2 bucks in the last ten years.
Avid water fowler. Eat them all.
Really disagree with those in the waterfowl community that shoot ducks, but won't eat them.
Very poor form!

"Really disagree with those in the waterfowl community that shoot ducks, but won't eat them. Very poor form!"

I couldn't agree more. Sad to say, but there are a bunch of DBs in the waterfowl hunting community. Probably why I do 99% of my waterfowl hunting alone. Not to mention I find it's easier to get permission to hunt private property when you're by yourself.

We (the family) are vegetarians if we don't get elk each year. We used to hunt everything under the sun, and ate most of what we shot. I say no to bear, cougar and of course all in the marmot family and squirrel family. In fact the last bear I shot was in the 80's in Idaho when they changed the rule that stated you have to salvage the meat. I see they rescinded that rule. With bears being a huge predator on deer and elk youngons, I might go back to taking a few of them, but not eating them. We still shoot some upland game birds and rarely do they get froze. We love to fish and only keep what we want to eat. I have to admit that I am just a meat hunter. Last year I had two bulls standing in front of me at first light on opening day. I shot the smaller one (5X5) as he gave me the better shot. The last deer I shot, I held out for a better buck and will pass up smaller Antelope too. But once they are on the ground it is all about making it the best table fare I can.

DZ

I eat big game and small game. Not squirrels though. Used to shoot "Pot Guts" when I was a teenager. Never ate those. But I have eaten rabbit and pheasant and lots of other upland game as well as waterfowl. And of course all big game animals my family has harvested.

I hunt for a trophy, but usually end up killing for meat. :)

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Pretty much.
Been on full elk diet last 5yrs,haven't found a buck I'd shoot here in NM with a tag in my pocket.
Killed a few yotes that were a problem,but never eaten one.
Had just about everything else at Wild Game cookouts. Coon,possum,bear,wildcat,
Best proccutto ham I ever had was Mtn Lion,dry cured. Have a package of meat from butcher I'll make Chile Verde with.
Damn cottontails are thick this year,might need to make some stew.
Haven't eaten one in many years tho.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-12-15 AT 04:05PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-12-15 AT 04:02?PM (MST)

I hunt for the enrichment of the hunting experience and for the meat. I do not hunt for trophies, although I keep antlers when I kill a buck or a bull. I have killed does or cows nearly as often as bucks or bulls. The experience of hunting is unique and highly satisfying to me. My main hunting experience now is do-it-yourself elk hunting in high Colorado mountain country (we camp at 11,500 feet elevation and hunt between 12,000 feet and 10,800 feet). The challenge of finding the elk, shooting the elk, gutting it, cutting it into transportable pieces, and bringing the elk meat out ourselves is very demanding. We camp in a canvas wall tent heated by a wood burning stove. We do all the camp set-up and chores ourselves. It is an incredible way to be a part of nature and to see nature. I'm walking in the dark in the cold morning (say 25 degrees) to my appointed hunting spot. I sit in the cold waiting for the light to grow and reveal the world and more importantly hopefully reveal elk to me. I like to backpack, but this elk hunting is an even more complete and fulfilling an experience.

And I love the meat. I take the big chunks (two 56 LBS hams, two 30 LBS shoulders, two backstraps, two tenderloins, meat taken off the ribs, etc.) of elk meat back home from Colorado to Texas where I butcher it myself. I then cook the elk meat myself. I have different highly prized recipes for (1) elk backstrap and tenderloin, (2) elk roasts, (3) elk stew, (4) elk scalopini, and (5)elk terrines (a kind of meat pie with seasonings that is cooked in a mold in a bath of water and then cooled and served chilled in slices 1/4" thick). I serve these preparations with very good wines. I love elk meat, and my family and dinner guests love it too. It is interesting that I have never served elk meat (or venison for that matter) to anyone at my table who did not like it a lot. Some people don't like lamb. Some people don't like fish. EVERYONE likes elk!

As a final note. I would not hunt an animal that I didn't want to eat. I have taken some pot shots at coyotes on a deer hunting ground, because my host said the coyotes were a nuisance to him and had killed a cow that was down giving birth. I didn't feel real comfortable (I missed in any case) shooting at an animal I wasn't going to eat, but that was something of an exception.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-13-15 AT 11:23AM (MST)[p]I'm another in the category of shoot it=eat it. So prairie dogs, cats and coyotes are safe from me. That's how I roll, I'm not saying that's what others should do.

Quackers are delicious CAT!!

"The State of Utah has not given BGF anything.
They have invested in BGF to protect their
interests."
Birdman 4/15/15

i eat elk,deer,moose,turkey,quail,grouse,chucker,phesant,dove,fish.but i won't eat any of the predators that i kill.tried cooking coyote once [stinks]just like when they are alive.bobcat and cougar have very lite meat that looks like chicken but i would need to be in survival mode to eat along with bear.never killed wild hog but i would try a little.

I really miss the wild turkey and pig from CA.
But the big tuskers are usually too strong.
Same with bears from coastal areas,taste like rank fish.Others eating berries and acorns are good roasted or grilled.
Course nothing beats fresh Sierra trout,cept maybe a salmon or halibut and rockfish.

The wife and I eat what we shoot. She's very particular about making sure that we get as much meat as we can from whatever we take.

We have a freezer in the garage for the meat, there's about 50 pounds of bear and 250 pounds of wild hog. The meat was prepared at a processor, so it's a lot of sausage and all vacuum packed. I just cooked up some bear for dinner tonight. A little rich, but pretty good.

As for trophies, if a hog either of us shoots has a nice set of cutters, we'll get a Euro mount. We both have our first hogs in a traditional mount, and we're getting one from our last hunt done in a traditional because it was a special hog. The bear I shot is being turned into a rug because it was my first bear and was in a nice color phase. Haven't had the chance to hunt anything with antlers yet.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom