Do you hunt for more than meat or trophy?

Is hunting a spiritual experience for you?

• 1. Never

Votes: 14 15.9%
  • 2. Sometimes

Votes: 29 33.0%
  • 3. Every time

Votes: 45 51.1%

• Total voters

Tristate

Long Time Member
Fell free to post up hunting pictures that provoke spiritual feelings.
IMG_20231001_085713.jpg

I like to keep spirituality and deities out of everyday life. Especially when I am hunting. I would rather enjoy my time and live in the moment rather than looking to place a spirituality or a greater meaning into that moment.

You Forgot One Tri!

O I Hunt Because I Need The Meat!

I Shake My Head Everytime When Somebody Spouts That BS Off!

And How Much Did You Spend To Get That 40 Lbs of Deer Meat In The Finished Form?

View attachment 122608
Some people do hunt for meat and sometimes it is more economical to do so than purchasing meat at a store.

3 different times in my life I have even eaten a road killed deer and was happy to have it. One time I ate a deer that I saw a coyote kill and leave.

Some people do hunt for meat and sometimes it is more economical to do so than purchasing meat at a store.

3 different times in my life I have even eaten a road killed deer and was happy to have it. One time I ate a deer that I saw a coyote kill and leave.
I threw the doe I hit in the back of the truck on my way to help haul out a couple cow elk.

I'll eat roadkill. No shame here.

I enjoy hunting, and time outdoors, I definitely hunt for meat, and the experience. Just because it is more expensive than buying it in the market doesn't mean that some of us don't do it for that reason, My kids grew up not eating store-bought meat for the most part, unless it was at a restaurant. I also enjoy growing my own food, which doesn't seem to be cheaper either, but I like to be able to do it. I also taught my son to give thanks when he takes an animal, not to thank the animal itself. If you don't believe in a creator then I am sure it would seem foolish, but even if you don't believe, I think we should just be thankful, for the experience, the ability to be outside and able to do the work it takes to secure your own food. Not everyone can, I called a friend of mine yesterday, he has been bedridden for years and had so many surgeries to try and fix his back, every time I talk to him, and let him know what hunts I have been on lately, he just says, man that sounds so good, he would do anything to be able to get out again, but it doesn't look like that will happen, so be thankful, and enjoy it while you can, you never know what is coming to you.
Sun rise ID.jpg
Sun set .jpg

Last edited:
Depends on species. I really enjoy elk, moose and Oryx meat. They can make great trophies too. I love bison meat but have not had a chance to hunt them yet.

Antelope and WTD I hunt for the experience and the meat is secondary.

I love pheasant hunting for the experience and we eat them year around.

I enjoy turkey hunting and enjoy the meat.

I have not hunted mountain goat or sheep, but I suspect that is a trophy hunt first where you also eat the meat.

I stopped waterfowl hunting because I cannot eat them; I know avid waterfowl hunters that do not eat one ounce of that meat.

I can say this much about myself, if I don’t very much enjoy eating the animal, I don’t kill them. The only exception is problem animals around the property. I spend a lot of time in the woods with my son so he can take photos. I enjoy that almost as much as hunting. But, in the end my family eats a lot of game meat and we love it. So we hunt for meat, and generally the trophy animals have more meat on them. So I guess I’m a trophy/meat hunter. ??

I haven't bought beef, besides a brisket to smoke, for 18 years. During that time my family has lived on elk, deer, antelope, moose, turkey and bison. My kids complain about eating dinner anywhere else because the meat tastes funny. It is true that it is expensive, but the time with family and friends is worth the cost.

Elkass, I can put 40 lbs of finished venison in my freezer for the price of my resident deer tag, 19.75$. One bullet, 2.00$. 1 gal of gas, 3.89$,. Butcher paper and tape, 2.00$. Total, 27.64$, =about 69cents a lb. I do it every year.
Where do you sign up to get the free rifle, optics, clothes, gear, and perpetual motion vehicle? Asking for a friend!

Hey Moe?

Can you Post Pic's Of Your:

Long Range Rifle?

SmokePole?

StickFlipper?

Your Wheeler?

Your Side X Side?

Your 1 Ton Pick-Up?

Your Bino's?

Your Spotter?

Your Scope on Your Gun!

Your Hunting Boots?

Your Hunting Clothing?

Your Camp Trailer?

And All The Camping BS That Goes With It!

1 Gallon Of Gas Huh?

.69 Cents A Pound Huh?

Yup!

You've Got It Figured Out!

Elkass, I can put 40 lbs of finished venison in my freezer for the price of my resident deer tag, 19.75$. One bullet, 2.00$. 1 gal of gas, 3.89$,. Butcher paper and tape, 2.00$. Total, 27.64$, =about 69cents a lb. I do it every year.

The actual hunt and the kill are not spiritual events for me but being out in true wilderness is.

I remember camping out under the stars at Tule Lake about the first of November on a full moon when I was a teenager. The waterfowl migration was in full swing and all you could hear was ducks and geese flying over all night long. That was one of the most spiritual events of my life. I knew right then that there is a God. Nothing that beautiful just happens. To this day when I hear a flock of geese I give thanks to the creator.

You Forgot One Tri!

O I Hunt Because I Need The Meat!

I Shake My Head Everytime When Somebody Spouts That BS Off!

And How Much Did You Spend To Get That 40 Lbs of Deer Meat In The Finished Form?

View attachment 122608
And I shake my head every time I hear someone say, "I needed another set of antlers on my wall"! And how much did you pay for those antlers? Counting license and application fees for 15-25 years, the LE/Prem LE/OIL tag, your weapon, the guide fees and tips, the taxidermist fees and shipping costs for the mount as well as your costs to get to the hunting spot and back AND your time off work?

Oh, you DIY'ed it? Good for you, then all you have to count besides the same license and tag fees, the weapon, the cost of getting to and from the hunting spot, your time off work and the taxidermist fees, is your truck, the ATV and trailer, the binoculars, the spotting scope, the gas for 10 or so scouting trips, your camping gear, field dressing gear, coolers, ice and butchering costs (You have to do something with the meat! ) And, finally, you'll have to go to the store to buy meat afterall. :)

Hey efa?

You Ever Heard Me Say I Got My Wild Game Meat For .69 cents a Pound?

You'd Have To Move The decimal Point A Few Places!:D

I've Said This All My Life:

You NEVER F'N EVER Add Up What A PISSCUTTER Will Cost You In The Finished Form!:D

And I shake my head every time I hear someone say, "I needed another set of antlers on my wall"! And how much did you pay for those antlers? Counting license and application fees for 15-25 years, the LE/Prem LE/OIL tag, your weapon, the guide fees and tips, the taxidermist fees and shipping costs for the mount as well as your costs to get to the hunting spot and back AND your time off work?

Oh, you DIY'ed it? Good for you, then all you have to count besides the same license and tag fees, the weapon, the cost of getting to and from the hunting spot, your time off work and the taxidermist fees, is your truck, the ATV and trailer, the binoculars, the spotting scope, the gas for 10 or so scouting trips, your camping gear, field dressing gear, coolers, ice and butchering costs (You have to do something with the meat! ) And, finally, you'll have to go to the store to buy meat afterall. :)

Elkass, it's true. All my gear, I use year round, not just to put venison in my freezer. My truck I drive everyday to go places. My couple rifles I shoot because it's darn fun. Never owned a rv?Camping gear(minimal) I only use it on a few of my hunts, as I can walk to areas if I really wanted too from my residence. If your life revolves around everything outdoors, your gear is multipurpose.Putting venison( not nasty ass beef) in my freezer is mandatory.....and cheap. Now trophy hunting, for OIL, Africa or record books ect, spiritual experience or whatever we can talk about too, but that chit cost a Lotta money.

I start out the season hunting for a trophy . If I have not found a trophy by the last couple of days I become a meat hunter.

Just like back in my younger days, I would go to the bar about 10PM looking for the hottest thing there.....by 145am I was just hoping for a warm body:ROFLMAO:

Amen, my time in the woods is special. I've had amazing time with the Lord as I am silent enjoying His creation. He said He will give us the desires of our hearts, He knows my heart, Super blessed right now as I am in AZ scouting new country. God is So Good.
So happy to see JB that you sir are in the minority of those on MM. Most folks I run into in the woods respect and acknowledge His creation. He actually said that we will see Him in His creation. Praying that happens for you and SS. He is real ....He loves you and if you make the Decision to follow Him , He will change your life forever as He did for me in 1997.

So happy to see JB that you sir are in the minority of those on MM. Most folks I run into in the woods respect and acknowledge His creation. He actually said that we will see Him in His creation. Praying that happens for you and SS. He is real ....He loves you and if you make the Decision to follow Him , He will change your life forever as He did for me in 1997.
I bet that little boy in 1997 has a different view point than you.

Time is short, our life is but a vapor...quickly vanished. But our eternal being lives forever as we are/ were created in God's image hence we do live forever. It's just a matter of where you make the choice to live in the afterlife. I choose to live in heaven, your call on where you choose to be.

Bro, I was not raised in a Christian home, wasn't taught what the gospel meant. I was 37 years old when He moved in my life.I praise Him for His mercy and grace when He chose to reveal Himself to me. Transformation in my life !!!! Thank you Jesus
we know you were not. The little boy I was referring to was not you…

Hunting has been a part of my life since I was a kid and the fall season of the year has always been something to look forward to. It's a time when I get away from the everyday grind and enjoy God's creation. Hunting is more than shooting something,...the harvest of a animal is only a small part of the Hunting experience for me. Many of the favorite memories from my life are the many Hunting trips I have been on over the past 45 years. The mounts on the wall all have great stories behind them. I feel blessed that I've able hunt many wilderness areas in our country on horseback or backpacking. Now that I'm getting older I'm still out there having fun making new memories.......minus the horse's and backpack.

Hey efa?

You Ever Heard Me Say I Got My Wild Game Meat For .69 cents a Pound?

You'd Have To Move The decimal Point A Few Places!:D

I've Said This All My Life:

You NEVER F'N EVER Add Up What A PISSCUTTER Will Cost You In The Finished Form!:D
And you never ever add up what a trophy will cost you in the finished form! But I guarantee that my price per pound of wild meat is a whole lot less than your price per pound of antlers or wild meat.

This year I drew zero (0) big game tags out of 6 applications (buck deer, moose, antlerless) and my grandson, who hunts with me, also drew zero (0) out of 7 applications, all of which I paid for. So to go hunting together, I bought 2 archery elk tags over the counter and 1 depredation doe deer tag. All of that cost me $190. Then we made 4 trips to the neighbors farm in my camo Blazer @ 3 miles per trip (about $3). My grandson shot the doe and we drove 22 miles to drop it off at a friend's house for butchering (about $5 for gas, $0 for butchering). My grandson wanted some hamburger, but the friend didn't have a working grinder, so I bought 5 lbs of beef fat ($6) and hand-ground it at home ($0). The rifle was a Winchester 100 that I bought for $450 ($450 divided by 10 years=$45 this year) and refurbished and re-blued and gave it to my grandson for an early Christmas present. We ate and slept at home ($0). That adds up to about $249 to hunt the deer. I don't count my '94 Blazer ($300 plus the normal repairs and maintenance) because it's the only car I own and I would of had to buy something anyway just to get around town. I bought one car to do both!

To hunt the elk, which we didn't get, it was about 6 gallons of gas ($30), a used bow and set-up for my grandson ($45 per year), a blind ($10 per year) = $85. Add $200 for clothing, some snacks, drinks, game bags, etc. Grand total both deer & elk=about $534. Divide that by 40 lbs of deer meat=$13.35 per pound. A little pricier than Walmart, but well worth the time we spent together. Now, what's your price per pound of antlers or meat?

I've Told You A Thousand Times!

You Don't Add That Stuff Up!

And you never ever add up what a trophy will cost you in the finished form! But I guarantee that my price per pound of wild meat is a whole lot less than your price per pound of antlers or wild meat.

This year I drew zero (0) big game tags out of 6 applications (buck deer, moose, antlerless) and my grandson, who hunts with me, also drew zero (0) out of 7 applications, all of which I paid for. So to go hunting together, I bought 2 archery elk tags over the counter and 1 depredation doe deer tag. All of that cost me $190. Then we made 4 trips to the neighbors farm in my camo Blazer @ 3 miles per trip (about $3). My grandson shot the doe and we drove 22 miles to drop it off at a friend's house for butchering (about $5 for gas, $0 for butchering). My grandson wanted some hamburger, but the friend didn't have a working grinder, so I bought 5 lbs of beef fat ($6) and hand-ground it at home ($0). The rifle was a Winchester 100 that I bought for $450 ($450 divided by 10 years=$45 this year) and refurbished and re-blued and gave it to my grandson for an early Christmas present. We ate and slept at home ($0). That adds up to about $249 to hunt the deer. I don't count my '94 Blazer ($300 plus the normal repairs and maintenance) because it's the only car I own and I would of had to buy something anyway just to get around town. I bought one car to do both!

To hunt the elk, which we didn't get, it was about 6 gallons of gas ($30), a used bow and set-up for my grandson ($45 per year), a blind ($10 per year) = $85. Add $200 for clothing, some snacks, drinks, game bags, etc. Grand total both deer & elk=about $534. Divide that by 40 lbs of deer meat=$13.35 per pound. A little pricier than Walmart, but well worth the time we spent together. Now, what's your price per pound of antlers or meat?

I live in the unit I hunt. I can do a hunt for less that $100. The gun and gear were paid for decades ago.

A bull elk gives a little less that 250lbs of boned meat. Have you priced the cost of prime cuts of elk meat? It's not like beef.

I love to hunt. I hunt fair chase and love the challenge. Antlers are given away. I have no use for them. I hunt for the experience and meat. I started doing it as a kid in 1950 and still love it.

I haven't bought beef, besides a brisket to smoke, for 18 years. During that time my family has lived on elk, deer, antelope, moose, turkey and bison. My kids complain about eating dinner anywhere else because the meat tastes funny. It is true that it is expensive, but the time with family and friends is worth the cost.
AND it’s a lot healthier for you. That’s the biggest plus of eating wild game. Who knows what they put in store bought meat now.

I was invited to help a friend on a deer hunt in eastern Oregon last week. I was at about 9,000' feet glassing off a ridge. I heard a jet, look to see an F-35 fly over the top of the ridge about 300 yards away. It did a barrel roll and flew down ridge toward the desert floor and gone. My brother saw it from a different ridge and could not stop talking about it.

Depends, what species , where and what can I expect.

On deer if it's not big I'm not shooting it, deer meat doesn't do much for me anymore. I'll trophy hunt elk until later in the season then I'll meat hunt. I like elk .

Other species it's trophy only.

Two questions, not necessarily related, but in the big picture, maybe they are.

First answer: I used to hunt because I loved hunting and I also wanted meat. I was will to spend extra money on the wild meat to satisfy my love for the hunt. Now, I only eat the meat if I kill, and I only kill mature big game and that doesn’t happen very often anymore.

Second answer: A wise man once told me, “Age will do for a man, what religion never could”.

I’ve come to believe he is right.

As I’ve aged, I seem to find the wonders of the creation more and more everyday, regardless of whether I’m hunting or not. Driving down the freeway, across seemingly unimpressive grasslands, I marvel at the variety of colors given off by the fall grasses and brush. Dozens of different hues of yellow and brown, mixed in the most amazing blend of nature. The sounds of the different migrating birds. The variety of spring green. The variety of life, from insects to mammals. The consistency of physics, the perfect positioning and wonder of the moon and sun, the tides, the rotational winds, gravity, that hold everything in place, eye sight, kidney function, the nervous system, cell division, molecular and atom composition. Ocean temperatures, ocean currents, magnetic forces, radio frequencies, etc. etc. I can’t wait to wake up every morning to see what humans have learned, that we never knew or understood yesterday…… seemingly endless knowledge that make up the creation. And yet, as much we know, I suspect humans are just getting started.

I know I’m a weird dude, but I can’t see, hear, smell, feel, taste the world around me everyday and not have a continual spiritual experience. It’s all spiritual to me.

I hope there is a life after death, I have read that Heaven will be an amazing reward for some, I can’t imagine a place better than the current creation. If I am blessed enough to spend eternity in a place as wonderful as this earth, that will be an eternal Heaven for me.

So, yes, hunting is a spiritual experience for me.

Deer wise I've always hunted for the biggest buck I could find. I always eat the meat though. Elk I have been a opportunist. I love elk meat and basically 90% of the time we are eating something with elk meat in it. I've always gave my thanks whenever I've shot something.

I always thought I was a "trophy hunter" but I dont think I understood what the real meaning of that word was until I went to New Zealand. After going on a "trophy hunt" I learned it definitely isn't for me. The adrenaline rush wasn't there on the stag and I then learned the true definition of trophy hunting. The stag I said thanks and sorry at the same time....

It opened my eyes to realize though that what I always thought was just the big horns that I got a adrenaline rush from was far from that. The work that went into actually getting those horns is what caused the adrenaline rush when it all came together.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom