Do you Hunt with Video?

comes a time to leave most of todays technology at the truck/house and just enjoy life..................................
find the off button on the cell phone & push it................
never hunted with video & never will.....................
i'm already packin more counterweight than i need............

soon the love in his heart will be the rage in his fist

Jesus is coming and boy is he pissed

4b4654d74c2d46ca.jpg

I carry mine with me and I do film alot of stuff.

I do not set it up to film a shot or anything like that as solo bow hunting has enough challenges.

Plus, I really do not hunt to end up having the 'look at me--look at me' of some video footage.

When somone else has the tag and they want me to film, then yeh it is fun to film them.

Robb

Reason I am asking... I wanted to see what people use in the field. I am not asking someone to become a "Look at me" Guy.

Is it safe to say that anyone that comes to this site or buys a DVD or looks at a magazine or watches hunting shows...does so because it relates to what you get personally out of hunting.

I am not intending to gloat or ask anyone to gloat about themselves.

Capturing video is just something to talk about.

ROBB,
What type of video do you use. Why do you like to video your family. What makes you carry that camera into the hills? Can you share why?

I personally video taped three others on a premium hunt and I mentally couldn't tell if I shot it or they did. I got the maxium thrill out of the hunt. When I captured their moment on tape it was something we can relive again and again as a family and friends. I have young boys that are becoming interested in hunting now and I can go back and show them what Dad has been up to for the last couple of years.

I understand filming like anything can be expressed as half full or have empty. I also understand that some will always see life as half empty... Their is opposition in all things.

I just want to talk to those that see filming as something they enjoy and share why? What type of camera they use.

Anyone get into the wilderness with cameras?

Midnight

I take my little cam corder every where I hunt and film the hunts for my hunting buddies to keep instead of taking pictures. It's lots of fun looking back at one of our hunts in 1994 and seeing how much everybody has changed. I don't try to film kill shots I just get the after on film.

This is the first year I started to film hunts. Filmed mine, my brothers, and a buddies. I do it cause I like creating my own videos. Plus the day will come when I have children and I will want them to see what it was like when I was hunting. I use a Canon VIXIA HF200. Great small camera. Just about fits in a pocket.

Sad to say I'm usually solo.(too much work) If I'm with someone, I want them behind a spotter to tell me where I missed not behind a camera. LOL

I can't imagine going anywhere without my video cam. I pack it everywhere and shoot a lot of footage. It has become just part of my pack. It has a 6.1 meg camera and is the mini-dv recorder. I think it is the Sony HDR-HC9. It has a decent zoom and the HD quality is incredible. I carry it in a water proof bag on my pack where I can grab it for cool memories. I missed a Wolverine in OR once 'cause I couln't get it out of my pack in time...that will never happen again. I don't worry about kill shots, but I do have my wife falling in a river upside down on her arss....river crossings are great footage :).

HK

Sorry Gary.

I really do not read into my post anything that would get you upset?
---------------------------------------------------------------

'I carry mine with me and I do film alot of stuff.

I do not set it up to film a shot or anything like that as solo bow hunting has enough challenges.

Plus, I really do not hunt to end up having the 'look at me--look at me' of some video footage.

When somone else has the tag and they want me to film, then yeh it is fun to film them.

Robb'

I certainly am sorry if something in my post offended you.

Robb

I take my video camera everywhere. For me, it's about sharing the experience with my friends and family. It's always fun to tell hunting stories but when you can show them it makes it that much better. Most of my video are of other people and a few of myself. It never gets old watching my first videos from back in '01.

My camera is a canon XH-A1. much better than the sony handycam that i started with! Here are a few videos i uploaded to youtube. I have a few hunts i need to put on there (CO elk hunt, NM barbary, TX hog hunts, and more) but still need some editing.

Arizona junior javelina hunt 2009

Texas hog hunts 2008

Matt's elk hunt AZ 2009

Flo's TX spring turkey 2009

My TX spring turkey 2009

Midnight,
I love videoing hunts for memory sake. A video is always 100% better at capturing a hunt as it actually happened than my fading memory. That being said, I bought a little hand held Panasonic S26 last fall to video my son's desert sheep hunt. For a cheap little camera it is great for hunting and has a 70X zoom. I used it to capture pictures of rams while scouting so we could share back at camp. We caught some incredible footage of a ram within bow range and you can hear him grunting at us. It was amazing and I was REALLY glad I had that little camera along. It is small and hard to hand hold steady, but it captures great pictures and it cost me less than $300. It is also small enough to fit into my pocket. It has now become part of my necessary gear, in case I see another incredible sight like that grunting ram.

I have attempted to video my and my Dads last years of hunts in WY but it is extremely difficult. IMO, not only do you lose part of the excitement of the hunt, a lot of times it just doesn't work out. I started filming them because it is neat to go back and re-live the hunt. It is much better than digital camera pictures. My Dad is not good with electronics so it has mainly been me filming my Dad. I say losing part of the excitement because the cameraman is so concerned with getting it all on camera that he's not necessarily "in the hunt". Somebody may have a different view on it, but that is how it is with me. I'll continue to try to video them but if I feel the time isn't right to film it, I'll put it away and just enjoy the time with my Dad.

Steve

I video alot of hunts. It is really fun for me. I have done a few solo bowhunts on film in the last two years from a treestand and a ground blind. I also really enjoy filming other peoples hunts and sharing it with them. I have even used my videos many times to check on shot placement or to help track animals by replaying the footage. personally having my hunts captured on film is priceless. It takes extra effort and has cost me a few opportunities but to me it is worth it. I also love watching videos with family and friends and especially with my young boys who love hunting and shooting bows. My camera goes everywhere with me and I believe it will for a long time.

Jason Yates
Basin Archery Shop
http://www.basinarcheryshop.com
5% OFF to all MonsterMuleys.com Members!!!
Discount code = monstermuleys

I just got a new JVC HDD camera. MY sheep hunter had one in December and we used it on his trip.

Simply outstanding video!

Secret of course is put it on a tripod and don't go digital!

Got an extra life battery and the gizmo that lets you make a DVD straight from the camera! No need to download into the computer hard drive.

Technology is great!

Memories saved forever, how does it get any better than that?

Don Martin
AWO

Picked up a Sony HD camera last year. Took it on our deer hunting trip this past Oct. Didnt use it on the hunt but the day before the hunt started while checking the roads. We came across these deer. As you can hear in the video my dad was kinda excited lol. Well on the opening morning of the hunt we got back in the same area and we were lucky enough to shot the last two deer going across the road. Hope the link works.

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYg_IGcL28M]

I also take my camera out when ever I head to the hills. I along with my brother and brother inlaw started back in 2005 and since then we have had the chance to film some really cool stuff. To me it is pretty dang close to as exciting to sneak up on a big old buck or bull and get good footage of him as it is to get up there and shoot them. I will agree with Wiszard in saying that sometimes being the filmer you do miss out on some stuff while trying to get the camera set up but the memories you take home with you on tape make up for it I think.I try to film our kill shots but we usually only get about half of them per year due to the challenges of filming hunts. The ones we do get or cool though. I started out with a little hand held sony and I flat wore it out after several years and several falls with it. This year I upgraded to a cannon Gl2 and am very impressed with the quality of the camera. Each year I make a little dvd of all our hunts and scouting trips to share with family and friends. It is a lot of fun to look back on the fun hunts from past years and also to see how we have improved in our filming abilities. Sometimes I have to wonder if it is worth packing that dang tripod and camera up all those mountains but at the end of the year when I watch the dvd to me it is.

I usually take short videos on my digital still cam. They are great for the memories. I have only filmed two kill shots, the clips of friends and family just having fun are the best......and my dumb little brother betting me he could run up to an old moo cow and touch it....and proceeding to eat cow dust...

-----------------------------------------------
http://andymansavage.blogspot.com/

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom