Does service still sell...(Anti-Cabelas rant)

stinky

A few days ago the Cabelas flyer comes to the house...I scan it for goodies and 2 are selected.

About 2 days ago, I go by there and look at the HD chairs (rated at over 300#) and XL sleeping bags (38-42" wide).

I pick out 2 chairs that will work and then move over to the "Fart-Sacks" I notice that they don't really have what I'm looking for there.

Then, it occurs to me...I don't have my $25 gift card w/me.

So, I make a decision to go check out prices at other places, and then come back w/my card (which is already a few years old).

Now, I aint saying that I am cheap, but when you look up "Cheap-Bassturd" in the dictionary, they have my picture there.

So, I go by Sportsman's...they have the same chair (as near as I can tell, based on memory) for $30 (10 bucks less and sorta the same bag (a Browning vs a canvas type a C's) for about 30 bucks less (these are the everyday price). The chairs are $20 cheaper as of tomorrow.

Then, I go to Wally-world...Coleman makes an extra-large bag, for about the same price and they didn't have the big chairs.

So, tonight is the last day of the sale...and I show up w/tons of time to spare (about 8:35p,). I go to the chairs...what the heck...no sale pricing. So, I go to the front door...no fliers up there...I go to the register. She scrounges around and finds one...yep the sale is still on. She explains that the stuff has been pulled because there is a sale starting tomorrow. I explain that there is a sale going on now.

So, armed w/a picture, I head back to the chairs. I am pretty sure that I have picked out the right ones, but I think that they may have moved them. So, I make my selection, but the tag number does not match the flyer...then I notice that the box's number doesn't match either one. Additionally, the tag says one poundage rating, and the box says another. The picture...it looks like the same chair, but the accessories (cup holder and etc) are dif. That said, the picture also looks like 2 other chairs that they have. As this is going on, I am sorta hoping somebody will help me.

But, I notice that it is not Christmas time in the store but Easter (The time when Jesus was born versus the time when the dead came out of the grave to see the resurrected Jesus) as the workers are obviously thinking about getting out of there at resurrection/closing time.

Disgusted, I decide to get something else w/the $25 card (hard to do in there). So, I am in there for just over 20 minutes and not once did somebody ask to help me. One guy spoke to me...but only after I acknowledged him first. He was trying to ole....if I look away, when we pass, I won't have to say anything (we were on a collision course in the aisle).
John 14:6

That is why I seldom shop at Cabelas anymore. It is no wonder that they will be under new ownership in just a few months.

just sayin...mh

I have become disgusted with Cabelas customer service, or lack thereof.....I no longer shop there. If you think about it, many places will match pricing now, so really rather than "sales", it is in the best interest of a company like Cabelas to go out of their way to provide personalized, friendly service. I can find about anything on the internet, for a better price. If I wanted to deal with a grumpy, jaded worker, I can call up my utility company, or maybe Delta Airlines.....?

I've had excellent return service with the store in Reno and had not so good. It all depended on the counter person. The last experience was with some Cabelas guidewear bibs. They were several years old and the zipper tabs broke off. The first time I tried to return them the gal said they are to old to return as the barcode number wasn't even in the system anymore. I tried to get her to warranty them, but she wouldn't budge. Offered me a $25.00 gift certificate instead. This was for a $200.00 plus pair of bibs. No way. I went back with them at a later date and argued the lifetime warranty with another counter person and he exchanged them no questions asked. Weird. But Like I said, Overall I've been real happy with them in the past. No idea what they will be like now that BPS took over.

The Bass Pro Shops/ Cabela's deal hasn't been completed yet.
The Federal Trade Commission is still reviewing it.

Last December I bought a few items at the Reno Cabela's that were intended as Christmas gifts. IIRC, it was a North Face jacket, a couple shirts and some Carhartt pants. Anyhow, when I got back to the house, my wife informed that I had bought a couple items in the wrong sizes. Total was ~$200. I went back the same day to return/exchange the items. At the time my youngest was about 6 months old and loved eating paper. Well, he destroyed my receipt beyond recognition! That is 100% my fault. Should have kept it in a safer place. The woman at customer service informed me that without the receipt, she could not lookup purchase history nor could she refund the money back to my debit card. It had to be store credit. To top it off, they also wouldn't refund the actual price I paid. Cabela's policy is to refund the lowest price a particular item has ever been. I ended up with around $60 less than what I had paid! Seems a little silly that nearly every other major retailer can look up purchase history via a swipe of your debit/credit card but Cabela's can't/won't!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom