Down to the last second

NMPaul

Got this guy in the final seconds of my ML hunt. Had been in bulls every day of the hunt and just couldn't close the deal. Muzzle loaders with open sites are way different then having a scope. If you need reading glasses, you have a choice between seeing the target or the sites clearly. For me its a 150 yard gun max. When this guy finally came in to water he was surrounded by cows as the minutes ticked by. Finally he gave me a shot as I could barely see my sites. My son and buddy Tony had me in good bulls every day. Just couldn't close the deal until the very end.

tempImageVkt4yy.png

Nice - congratulations!

I understand well what you mean about the open sight and 150 yds. Shot my UT muzzlloader antelope using a Williams
Western globe and peep. Needless to say, missed twice (at distance ?) and ended up with a 50 yd shot to close the deal.

Congrats Paul!! That is a nice heavy bull.
At least you got to enjoy every second of the season!

My old eyes have the same problem as yours - either see the open sites with readers on and a blurry target, or see the animal and blurry sites.
I have a late season muzzy deer tag here in SD and I am going to try out a new Williams rear peep on my smoke pole this weekend. Hopefully that will help a little.

Fantasic! Open sites are indeed tough. I had a NV muzzle tag last year; many times I thought to myself I would be better off just carrying my bow. Took that one down to the end as well.

Great bull! Thinking about trying the "post" insert on front globe site instead of the crosshairs. May be better especially in low light situations.

nice bull. No scope changes the game a bunch. I may try to draw a muzzy tag and take my chances hoping the odds maybe better now. You have any bugling on your hunt?

Awesome bull Paul! Has some length on those fourths (knifes)! Definitely tip my hat; when you’re that deep in animals it take discipline and patience to hold for an ethical shot.

nice bull. No scope changes the game a bunch. I may try to draw a muzzy tag and take my chances hoping the odds maybe better now. You have any bugling on your hunt?
Yes. Some for sure. This guy had a group of cows. Lots of bulls by themselves. Son sent me video tonight of a bull mounting a cow. Still some love in the air.

Awesome bull, congratulation. For you guys just starting to shoot iron sights, FOCUS ON THE FRONT SIGHT. It is impossible for your eyes to focus on more than one thing at a time. Your target, wether it is paper or an animal should always be fuzzy. Your brain will automatically center your sight where it needs to go.

Much congrats Paul. That is a super nice bull. You make me think I shouldn't be too quick to give up on muzzleloaders yet despite these OLD eyes...

Much congrats Paul. That is a super nice bull. You make me think I shouldn't be too quick to give up on muzzleloaders yet despite these OLD eyes...
I will sure consider it, but, I noticed my ability to see sites and distance got worse over just one year.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom