Downtown office/Draw Results

twsnow18

Just got back from talking with the girls downtown at the F&G office and the good news is that none of the results are lost and everything is fine.

The system is just getting bogged down because too many people are trying to get on at once and the more they keep getting phone calls and hounded down there the slower it has been for them to get everything up and running. I know it's hard but ideally they said if people could stop trying to get on the website constantly the quicker they can get the results back up.

So the good news is that no results were lost AND I DREW MY ELK TAG! :)

How did everyone else do that saw the results before they crashed?

I drew my second choice Elk hunt, which is nice, since I didn't have many options for December. The meat will be welcome, that's for sure!

Good luck to everyone else!!

wife drew 54 archery elk tag. Still not sure on my results although it's only a possible bear tag and not nearly as exciting as the elk tag.

I've seen some awesome deer down in unit 11. I go there to camp and shoot grouse and fish. I will go for that tag some day.

And how long has this been going on!!! I really DO NOT feel bad for calling. I drew unit 18 archery elk, son drew 11 muley. good luck

1-208-334-3700..wait for recorded message and press 0 to speak to operator

How to start an argument online:
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

"The system is just getting bogged down because too many people are trying to get on at once and the more they keep getting phone calls and hounded down there the slower it has been for them to get everything up and running. I know it's hard but ideally they said if people could stop trying to get on the website constantly the quicker they can get the results back up."

So the IT Department is also pulling reception duty. ha ha ha. Sure. Sorry, phone calls should not have a thing to do with getting their server and site back up.

The point is, the more you push the system, be it the website or the phone operators(3 girls in downtown), the longer you will wait. There is only three girls, they can only handle so much and the more you swamp the system the harder it is for even them to pull results.

SO, try and exercise a little patience and maybe the entire system can be back up soon enough and then you can really be disappointed...

Good Luck!

Or better yet, maybe they'll get a modern operating sytem that wasn't designed with leftover 1982 Atari game board microprocessors...

True, but there is only 3 girls taking phone calls downtown and it's probably annoying as hell and hard to get things done... I'm sure the whole department is slammed by people while trying to get it back up.

I do agree though that they should update the system, they should have known that the storm was coming especially after being late with the results compared to last year.

>Or better yet, maybe they'll get
>a modern operating sytem that
>wasn't designed with leftover 1982
>Atari game board microprocessors...

No doubt, this kinda crap seems to only happen in Idaho, every damn year to boot.

Having worked in the past with servers and databases, in this day and age how in the world does this still happen. No excuses, this should not happen. In the public sector, people would lose their jobs for this. DBA's, Sys Admins, programmers, managers, directors, etc! Where is the accountability? How in the world can they not get this under control? I could run their site and draw system from my house and guarantee it would be more stable and reliable than their system.

ESPECIALLY since this is a government agency. Don't they have other IT departments in the Idaho government that can "lend a hand" to this mess? I'd volunteer my services for free, just let me draw a tag every few years. :)

The more results give out over the phone is that many less trying to access the web every five minutes. Sooner or later it will happen one way or another.

>The more results give out over
>the phone is that many
>less trying to access the
>web every five minutes. Sooner
>or later it will happen
>one way or another.

That assumption is off. How do you think a site like Facebook, with millions of people trying to access every second, get their website back and running when it goes offline?

The IT guy above you has this one right- these guys are clueless.

I agree. I'm just saying that calling and getting results over the phone cannot hurt. I for one have been trying a zillion times myself!!!

>They should be embarrassed.

Ya, it's rather hilarious really. Now they got the exact same thing they did last year, where they have a disturbance page that links to the pages on their site that actually work.

No tags for my family except a couple of unlimited archey antelope tags. When I talked to fish and game they told me it was actually a hardware problem and they had to rebuild the server for their site and they did not know how long it would take.

Guys,

Enough of the complaining already. The regs say you will be notified by the 10th, by mail, anything sooner than that is gravy and a favor to the hunters of Idaho.

I would suggest ... kick back have an adult beverage and relax you will get the results.

For those of you that don't think this happens in the private sector ... It happens all the time. This system obviously wasn't designed for the 1 time of year when it gets slammed.

I would pose this question ... server upgrades aren't cheap so should F&G being using their limited funds on servers or for deer and elk and if you're really that upset about the situation then why don't you chip in a few hundred bucks each, go buy the equipment and donate it to F&G so next year you will get your results sooner?

Sorry for the rant, but my god you guys sound like a bunch of old women. Now that that is out of my system ... good luck to all the old women out there and have a little patience. :)

>The point is, the more you
>push the system, be it
>the website or the phone
>operators(3 girls in downtown), the
>longer you will wait.
>There is only three girls,
>they can only handle so
>much and the more you
>swamp the system the harder
>it is for even them
>to pull results.
>
>SO, try and exercise a little
>patience and maybe the entire
>system can be back up
>soon enough and then you
>can really be disappointed...
>
>Good Luck!

well actually, i called and the gentleman (not one of these three ladies you speak of) was very understanding and asked for my license number before i could even ask if i could find out through him. and the 44 bull tag really didnt disappoint me.

By the time they get it fixed, it will be just in time to crash again when they upload the second drawing for moose results!!!

Unsy,

That's exactly what an old bitter women would say so thanks for making my point.

Don't be so uptight ... half that post was tongue in cheek.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-28-12 AT 07:45PM (MST)[p]I have donated more than a few hundred to the Fish and Game through the super tag draw! Maybe they should allocate some of the money or resources from the Idaho lottery to upgrade the servers for the fish and game. Pretty sure the lottery servers get a wee bit more traffic and I haven't heard of them crashing before.

I'm sure the fish and game are just like most other organizations. Somebody is probably having an "I told you so" moment to their boss and only now will they listen. We see this all the time, most people don't want to spend the money until they absolutely have to. That usually leads to emergencies with overtime pay for those involved.

Let me also say that I am not complaining, just stating my observation. I can wait till the 10th of July if needed, I think we all just become accustomed to getting our results a few weeks earlier on the website. Most of those I've met at the IDFG are good people, trying their best to get the job done.

>Or better yet, maybe they'll get
>a modern operating sytem that
>wasn't designed with leftover 1982
>Atari game board microprocessors...

>No doubt, this kinda crap seems to only happen in Idaho, every >damn year to boot.

Nope, not just in ID. Arizona has this problem every time it uses the online system. Their whole site crashed in like 3 minutes this year. Took 2 days to get it back online.

Shelbys,

please don't take anything I said personally. It wasn't meant as a personal shot at you, so there is no need to justify anything you said.

My point is, this is IDFG we are talking about, their core mission is managing our fish and game and not being Amazon.com (which relys on it's internet presence for it very existance). These guys have to watch every penny they spend to try and maximize it. F&G could spend more on a killer server that could easily handle the traffic for the 2 or 3 days a year they need it, but then that asset and the money they spent on it would be wasted the rest of the year (as it would be under utilized). I think that money is better spent elsewhere and I can live with a couple of days of frustration when it comes to the controlled hunt draw results.

Good luck with the draw!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-28-12 AT 09:17PM (MST)[p]>##### you!!!!!

unsy

Nice first post! This should get you banned for life!

Not one thing said here deserves this kind of response.

Clueless..............

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom