Draw question

Murphy

LAST EDITED ON Feb-03-13 AT 11:22PM (MST)[p]About 25 years ago I had a muzzleloader buck tag for the area 7 units in the NE part of the state. The hunt was in September. I haven't applied for Nevada since and am not familiar with the draw. I do know that they now issue bonus points but don't really understand the system. I would really like to do that hunt again. I'm sure the deer numbers now aren't what they were back then but I had a great time in that country and want to go back. Do I have any chance of drawing it with no bonus points? I would be in the non-resident draw.

That's the best thing about NV's draw system...you do have a chance of drawing that tag and any other tag you apply for in the state. NV has a true bonus point system and not a preference point system. Even though I'm packing a lot of points for various states and eventually the preference point system will result in me getting a tag...I'd rather spend those same years in a bonus point system where I have a chance of drawing a tag each and every year.

Many others will chime in and agree that NV's system is the best.

Apply, you could draw!

+1 on what 4x4 said. If you go to NDOW.org you can find all the draw odds, harvest statistics, point class of harvest, etc for what area you are looking at.
I agree NV bonus point system is good! Not alot of people draw with 0 points in some areas, but there is always a chance and i have seen it happen. Good luck!

Its unlikely that you would draw, although it as others have said, its possible.

25 years ago would have been a high point in the mule deer populations in Nevada. I don't want to sound overly pessimistic but you will find a much different hunting experience these days.

Try to draw, and if you get lucky tell us your story, it will be interesting to hear about the changes as seen from that timeline.

To counter Piper's pessimism...I had a buddy apply for NV a few years ago. I told him to apply for everything and so he did. He drew a PIW tag with 0 points. This is was the results of his 0 points...

8313dscn1285.jpg

Yes I agree Piper to the fullest, but someone has to draw them. In life I am the biggest pessimist there is, but for some reason hunting tags and drawings make me the biggest optimist ever!

Good luck to all in this years' drawings!

Last year, they upped the number of tags to 9 for that hunt. Only 24 people applied. That's about as good of draw odds as you can get for a decent tag. Unfortunately, no one with less than two points drew, but three years ago, one tag was drawn with zero points, so it can happen. It may take a few years, but it is not one of the harder tags to draw.

Thank you guys. That's worth a chance. So to get bonus points I have to buy the license regardless of drawing a tag?

It only shows how many people applied on there first choice.
Lots of other people put 7 down as there 2nd - 5th choice....
I've drawn it with my last pick before......
Not the real odds,

Murp, If you are going to fork out the license fee, apply for everything you may ever want to hunt in Nevada.

I drew antelope with 6 PPs and elk with 7 PPs. Sheep tag this year (finger's crossed). Seems it takes me longer to draw deer than anything else. And realize there is a 5 year waiting period after you draw antelope and 10 year after you draw elk, so draw the hunt you really want.

Once you are paying the license fee ($150.00) the extra $15.00 for antelope and $20.00 for elk isn't a big deal. Although I chukar hunt Nevada every year, the way I justify paying the license fee for my wife every year is that I apply her for 5 species, so the hunting license fee is only $30.00 per species PLUS the $15.00 or $20.00 application fee. And some of the best tags available, anywhere.

Murphy,

My advice do not get started buying points in Nevada. And if you do start. Buy points in all species. I have 13 NR deer points and I wish I would have spent the money and put in for everything, but I thought I'd only need 5 or 6 points to draw a tag. Well as you see that hasn't happened. Nevada is a great state to put in when you have zero or only a few points, because anyone can draw. But when you put in for 13 years and get nothing, you look at Nevada a little different. And to let you know I haven't just put in for the toughest units to draw either. I've put my 4 or 5th choice's in units that I thought I'd be going for sure. Anyway I've learned there's no quarentee in Nevada's draw, it's a gambling state remember.

I second that huntnrich. I lived in NV for a while but am now a non-resident. I have a ton of points for everything and haven't a clue when I'll draw. NDOW's statistics are amazing but it's still pretty random if and when you do draw.
As mentioned, a bonus point system is great for residents and guys like Murphy applying for the first time again. However, if you're applying for multiple western states each year it can pain in the ass to manage. With a preference point system, you may have to wait your turn but as least you can predict and plan your hunt for the year.

I'm a N.R.,and if i don't want to play the point game,i can still apply for the draw without buying a liscence is that correct? Thanks

Yes, you can choose on your application to only buy the license if you draw a tag.

The only difference between buying the license and not is that if you buy the license you can build bonus points.

Dont draw and dont buy the license then no point.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom