Drawing Process Help!

B

bullelk2

So I am having some issues understanding the draw process for Utah. I have two co-workers, lets call them hunter A and hunter B.

Hunter A applied for a 1000 lake rifle tag as his first choice and a Monroe rifle tag as his second choice. He drew his second choice (Monroe).

Here is where I get confused.

Hunter B applied for Monroe rifle as his first choice and Beaver muzzle loader as his second choice. He drew his second choice (Beaver muzzle).

How can a guy who applied for Monroe rifle as a second choice draw the permit before a guy who applied for Monroe rifle as a first choice?

I contacted the DWR and they told me there is alot of variables that go into it rather than first or second choices.

Also we reviewed thier application adn this info. is all correct.

Yes they both had 2 preference points going into the draws. They both now have 3 preference points because it was a second choice tag.

Are these guys residents or non residents?
It seems to me that hunter B should have drawn the tag, but if Im not mistaken I believe that utahs general season is drawn a bit like Nevadas draw now. By that I mean I dont believe that Utah draws for each specific unit. They draw from the preference point pool. So if they both had 2 pef. Points then Hunter A was chosen earlier in the draw and his first choice was not available so they looked to his second choice. Hunter B was drawn later and his first choice was gone so then his second choice looked at. Make sense??
When your drawn they go down your choice list and u get the first available tag. They arent drawing by First choice apps or for a specific unit either.
That was long but I hope this helps you out. Also, this is how I believe the draw is conducted but I have not 100% confirmed that.
Good luck on the hunts,
Brendan

That would make sense how they ended up with thier second choices. Thanks for the insight. I believe this structure should be changed to allow first choice applications the first shot at that unit, then if there is any left over (which would be slim chance) go to the second choice then the third and so on. I believe this is how Colo. does thier process. Non-the-less thanks for the information.

Last year my Daughter drew a deer tag second choice with zero points. some guys at work had one or more points, and did not draw the same unit first choice ?????

Im not sure how it works either, but I had 0 points and I drew my 4th choice archery deer tag. Choices 1-5 all archery deer tags, and I drew my 4th choice. Weird, I know. To make matters worse, opening morning I am out helping/scouting for my bro-in-laws archery elk tag and I see 6 bucks at 1st light and had my 8 yr old with me and we snuck into 50 yards. They had no idea we were there. No tag, no shot. I wont have time to go down to the Zion unit to hunt my deer tag. But thats how it went for me this year.

I do know that 20% have to go to the youth, that could be why a youth drew a tag with 0 points and an adult did not draw with 1 point.

Please do not move this to the Utah forum. I prefer when 94% of all posts in this forum are 100% specific to Utah. I do not think it is fair to have forum members click on the Utah forum to read Utah posts. Easier to click here and read Utah posts along with the general posts about hunting in the west.

Appreciate your cooperation!

The way I understand it is; There is a drawing before the drawing. Sounds good huh! The first drawing is where the random #'s are issued to an applicant based on the # of bonus/preference points. One for an application and one each for your points.

Then, they take your Lowest # (just one)issued to you and put it in order with Everyone else's lowest number. Then they start at the Lowest # on that list and give him/her their first choice or Second or third and so on. Then, the next lowest # is given their selection, IF available and on down the list they go.

To draw a tag you have to be issued a Low Random #. If your random # is high, those with a lower # will receive a tag before your # is even pulled from the hat regardless of your number of bonus/preference points or which unit you applied for.

For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.

Thomas Jefferson

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom