Drew a S21 ram tag

coyote

wow I am one of the lucky guys that drew a S21 ram tag man am I ever pumped I had 4 weighted points. What would be a good ram for this area? What would you guys hold out for? This will be my first sheep hunt.

Congrats! That country is absolutely stunning. The biggest rams from there will have horns in the low to mid 30's. Take a look through the horn measurement stats on the DOW site.

Himtnhntr, are you talking horn length in the mid 30's? hopefuly not score in the 130's. The Horn measurements stats on the DOW site doesn't have all the mass measurements on there just the bases. I guess I was just wondering if there were some Boone and Crocket rams in the unit. I believe B&C for sheep is 180. I don't expect to kill a B&C ram just wanted to get a feel for what a guy should hold out for Thanks.

If you find a ram over 170 you had better pull the trigger IMO. My uncle killed a 176 ram in 06' but thats the biggest ram I've ever seen come out of that unit.

I hear rumors of people seeing 180+ rams in this unit but they are just that, rumors.

The San Miguel River drainage portion of the unit has only been open for a few years, I would look there if I were you. There has got to be some old rams in there. I will be archery hunting bucks in this area this year and will let you know if I see anything noteworthy.

I have some pics of the rams that winter in Vanadium. I'll post them if I can find them.

The mountains, not the hills.

Congrats on the tag. IIRC, you live right there, so you have all summer to scout and you'll know what to look for when the season starts. The unit is not known for producing giants. As stated above, a 170 ram is a good one. There was a 180+ ram killed last year, but that is an exception in that unit. Lots of sheep, though, and you could very well find another booner. You will get out of the tag what you put in. Good luck.

I was referring to horn lengths. With those lengths and average mass (which is usually the case), you're looking at a 170 ram. 180" is a great ram for Colorado and that area. I'm extremely jealous of your good fortune.

thanks guys sounds like a 170 ram is what I need to set my standard at. Where would be the best place to get a map for this area. I'm going to have to turn my wifes 61 first rifle tag back in ( I'm sure she will draw ) I only have 1 week of vacation left going into hunting season. My first priority will be the sheep tag.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom