Drew an X9B

R

RKP3

Just thought I would post my draw results. Nothing except for X9B. I have heard that this is a tough hunt, but thought I would give it a try. Anyone have any general tips about the area? All I have heard is hope for cold weather and cover a LOT of ground. Thanks for anything in advance. I know I am new here, but I hope I can help others.

RKP3

"All I have heard is hope for cold weather and cover a LOT of ground."
Answered your own question...
Strap on the boots and start marching, as far away from roads, trails, campgrounds or lakes as you can get. Anywhere hikers will be to drive the bucks farther into the parks.

Stop Global Whining

Thanks. I have a couple access points in mind, but I know that I will have to get far away from trailheads.

I lived down in that country for a couple years chasing Mt. Lions around most of X9B and X9A for F&G- it was a great job!

Anyhow I always wanted to deer hunt 9B as I spotted quite a few big bucks; but only people in seriously good shape should attempt the approach.

Keep this in mind... "Big bucks live by the moon, and lick snowmelt." this was a quote of the local guy I worked with down there.

If you are tough and patient enough try Mcmurry meadows road out of Big Pine and hunt "the moon" by Birch mountain- and Mt. Tinemehaw.

Best advice I got... train for hiking hard country!!

Thanks alot! I am training already. Chasing Mt.Lions for the F&G? That must have been interesting. What is the population density around there? I would assume pretty high. Thanks again for the help.

Ya, you know the lions sure moved alot more than I ever expected. It was nothin for them to cover 40 miles in a night. The males you could almost pattern a big circle type of a loop- one day near wheeler ridge, the next in the glass mountains, and dissapering the next, showing up a week later near lone pine. For the three years I was there we collared some 18 lions; which may sound like alot or a little to some.

The hound hunter I worked with was pretty pridefull about catching lions in only very safe locations (for the lion and the dogs). I wish I would have kept a diary- probably could have written one hell of a book with cool pictures too.

One of these years I will go back and tough out 9b myself.
Please post pics if you get one!

Josh

Head up to Coyote Flats and take the ridge south the higher you get the better it will be. scout early and try and take your buck the first morning because after that they will move a long ways in a hurry.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Thanks for the info. So far I have heard that is a promising spot. I have also heard that the road there is very rough, so I will probably hike in to scout it. Thanks again for the help. I appreciate it.

Well, if you are going to hike in to Coyote Flats, go in from Big Pine. There is no functional road on that end.

If you hike in on the regular road, the guys towing their camp
trailers and quad trailers, will choke you to death with their dust.

Better off just to drive in with all 200 other hunters and scout/hunt from the flat.

If it is really that crowded, then I might end up just hiking in up high. I don't know if I want to be in the middle of a war zone. Any ideas where would be good places to take off from? I am thinking high up by sabrina or south lake.

scout out thunder and lighting lake area, first lake and second lake area,check out the area above the east side south lake it pretty good there too, baker and onion creeks areas too. If you are walking in come in from the Big Pine side for sure.
The road out of Bishop is rough but nothing a jeep or small truck can't handle it those trucks pulling trailers that is when it get rough. LOL

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

I will definitely check out those areas. I am going to try and scout at the end of this month. Thanks again for you your help.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom