Drew unit 29 elk tag

Cahunter805

Long Time Member
I ended up drawing a unit 29 bull tag. Was wondering what class of bull I should hold out for? Also any suggestions on hunting 29 for elk greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Andy

You are lucky! Unit 29 has nice bulls but to get a 300+ you will have to hunt hard or be plain lucky (again). Get off the road, spend some time down low as well as at elevation, but know you are in a quality unit. A 350+ bull is possible but unlikely.

Thanks for the info. I am going to be driving my polaris ranger as far as i can and then taking off into the hills on foot. Hope to get to Salmon on the 29th so I can scout a few days before the 1st. Im pretty excited for the tag. This is my first elk hunt ever.

one word of advice, since it is your first elk hunt. and it might be a little overwhelming when you get that thing on the ground. get a video on boning out an elk... my philosophy (if you dont eat it leave it).except the rack:) absolutely no reason to put yourself through more work packing out bones. you'll already have 220-320 pounds of meat to deal with from the get go..

disregard if you already had intentions of doing so.

Please be aware the Motorized Vehicle Rule is in place in Unit 29. Essentially means that, for hunting, you can only drive ORVs on roads open to full-sized vehicles, even if there is an authorized ORV trail. The exceptions are for packing camp in/out or retrieving game.

Tom Keegan
IDFG Salmon Region Wildlife Manager

Thanks for the info tom. I have hunted 29 before and it was a great time. Im planning on parking and walking into some spots to hunt. Does that mean if I take an elk I can drive on the ORV trail to retrieve the game??

Yes, as long as the trail is open to motorized vehicles by the land manager (USFS, BLM, private), you can use the same class of vehicle to retrieve game.

Tom Keegan
IDFG Salmon Region Wildlife Manager

Thank you tom! So was wondring if you had any tips on hunting elk in unit 29?? What class of bull should i be looking not to pass? Any spots I should definently want to check out?

Thanks Andy

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom