Drive thru yellowstone elk in truck?

Craig

Very Active Member
This might sound like a dumb question. Can you drive thru Yellowstone with a dead elk in the back of your truck?

As long as it has a tag on it. You have to go through the entrance, and they will ask you to keep it discreat, (dont advertise). Its still a highway. They might have an issue if you were haughling nuclear waste.

don't stop for the grizz on the side of the road or you may have to take it home with you.
but stop and let all the wolves in you can have all of them you want
thats what we could do free elk tags to all out of staters that take two wolves home with them.

Craig, when you get to Old Faithful, drag it out, get some blood on your hands, and take a few field photos. With the geyser shootin off in the background.

Eel

You will have to check it at the entrance and they will issue you some type on transportation permit.

Now if ya happen to see a bunch of hippie tourist taking photos of some cow or rag horn march right up and say ?Does anyone want to see and photograph a big, mature bull ? Because I know where one is???..

Okay, humorous story.

Back in the mid-1980s, I hunted moose and mountain caribou in northern BC on the Yukon border and killed one of each. I was driving on 1986 Nissan truck with a shell and my Coleman Scanoe on top of it.

After the hunt, I drove to AK to do some wildlife photography in Denali. Knowing I would return by the same route through BC, I left the hides and antlers at the outfitter's ranch and picked them up on the way back to the states.

With all my other gear and the need to leave room for a place to sleep in the shell camper, I wound up tying the 60" moose antlers atop the Scanoe because they wouldn't fit inside the shell.

So...I cross the border at Cut Bank, Mt. and hadn't gone two miles before I saw a black pickup behind me with red lights in the grill flashing. It was a MT. G&F guy and naturally he wanted to check out the legality of my moose. In reality, we had a very nice 1/2-hr. visit.

Now I'm back on the road, headed toward Durango, CO for oldest son's wedding. On the way, I decide to stop by YNP for a day of photography since the elk rut was in full bloom. At the West Yellowstone gate, I ask the park ranger if the moose antlers on top are OK. He says; "No, problem as long as you have all the proper paperwork." I did, of course. So into the park I go.

Minutes later, a park ranger pulls me over to check the legality of my moose. No problem. He looks at the paperwork and sends me on my way.

And hour later, same scenario. Later that day, another stop. At this point, I'm starting to get just a bit annoyed and hoping that is the last of it. Not so. Another different park ranger pulls me over in the Lamar Valley.

Just a bit perturbed now, I explain that he is the fifth one that has stopped me that day to check the moose antlers. I also politely asked him if all these rangers think I'd be stupid enough to kill a park bull and display the antlers on top of the truck. He kinda chuckled and said, "Yeah, not too likely."

Since I planned to spend the next day in the park, I asked him a simple question; don't all you guys have radios? When he told me yes, I suggested he might broadcast to his fellow rangers that the blue 1986 Nissan with the moose antlers on top has already been checked five times, so there's no need for anymore harassment.

He apparently took my suggestion because I wasn't stopped anymore that day or the next.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

i took my kids to bear country one time but my had my dog in the back of the truck.
i put her up front with us and went on threw.
only problem was i left a open bag of dog food in the back of the truck.
all the way threw we had bears trying to get into the back of the truck as many as five at a time. i had to keep moving to keep them out and thought for sure i'd run over their feet.

I don't know about Yellowstone but here in CA we were returning from a deer hunt many years ago with two bucks (heads & hides on top of our gear)in the back of the pickup and when we traveled through Yosemite National Park they asked us to cover them up.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom