Durango Colorado?

L

liv4hunt

It's been awhile since I've been on here, and for the people that have sent me messages asking about the Craig Colorado area I will get answers back to you for sure!!
I am being relocated to Durango, Colorado. I spent last week down there checking things out a little bit. I seen 4 really good bucks but only seen maybe a dozen deer all together. I also seen a small herd of elk, but that was it! My question is How's the hunting? Tough, lot's of private or tribe land, good area but tough draw? I have done some looking on maps and all the units around there look like there public land to hunt, but is it worth hunting?

Me and my boys drew our 1st season elk tag for the Flattops, and I hope me and the wife draw our 3rd season deer tag for 3/301 so I'll still be hunting the Craig area this year, so really I'm inquiring for future seasons!!

Any info good or bad would be great!

Thanks!

Work to hunt!! Live to hunt!! And the rest spent keeping the wife happy!!

You have helped me some with the Craig area... it is much appreciated... i am hunting around the Durango area this year for elk in september... will be happy to report back to you on our success or lack there off - whichever the case - good luck

Good to hear from you CM!! We drew me and the wifes 3/301 deer tags, and we got a 1st season elk tag for the Flattops for the boys and I. My dad also got his tag for that hunt, hopefully we can get him his first bull, he has been fighting the Utah elk gods for years with no success!! So I want to get him handled in Colorado!! Any advice? What tags did you get, do you have both tags in the Durango area?

Hey 264, pm sent back!! Thanks for all the great info!! Anything I can do for you? Just let me know!!

Sounds like you will have a full fall.

I didnt draw elk, but I am getting an OTC archery tag and will be hunting close to Durango. I got drawn for fourth choice for deer! My second and third choices were the 3/311 and 11/211 hunts second season. I thought for sure I would get one of those tags - I got drawn for unit 33 second season. Dont know much about the unit. Hope to make it up there a couple times before the hunt to check it out. If nothing pans out, hopefully I can get a late season cow tag in the Craig area and go shoot one.

Really waiting on NM results. Hope to get an elk tag there.

I dont know the Flattops area that well. First season the bulls could still be going. I got into elk real high last year in 1st season (not the Flattops area) and also real low (like where you would never expect them to be)... My feeling is that most people hunt the middle elevations - and the elk get pushed out. But again, dont know that area, so that could be useless info.

Heres to a great fall season. Im sure you will do great. Hopefully I will have a good report come the fall.

You can count on it!!

Have a great Fall in the hills!!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom