"DW "and "JoeBoo" pronghorn

P

PronghornHunter

First where did these bucks get their names? The current world record antelope "JoeBoo" is a hog but has anyone heard what the score is of the "DW" buck that was killed this season? When you look at the side by side comparison the current world record looks dwarfed by the "DW" buck but if you really look close there is not that much difference. This is where pictures can be deceiving. One buck has more hook to the length and more curve to the prong and the other has more of a straight bend to the length and straighter prong whick from the side makes it look much bigger. They have weighed the horns and there is more mass in weight but does that mean it's bigger in surface? Each horn has a difference in density.
I can't wait to see what the score of the "DW" buck is. How long do you think it will be before there is a 100 inch buck killed?

LAST EDITED ON Nov-19-03 AT 01:57PM (MST)[p]We actually stole the name JoeBoo from the movie Major League. JoeBoo was Cerrano's buddha god. In turn we named buck JoeBoo that same year. That was back in 1990 I think. One of our guides then came up with a little myth of his own. He would tell us that JoeBoo was a 300 inch mule deer and that JoeBoo was a 500 inch elk and that JoeBoo was a 100 inch antelope. He would tell us that JoeBoo was always out there, but that you could never find him. Well, when we found this World's Record we decided that he fit the description of the myth (and he looked exactly like the original JoeBoo buck that we named 12 years earlier).

The DW buck got his name because he looked exactly like an inverted copy of Dylan Woods' Unit 9 buck taken in 2000. We just used the initials. That way when we thought about the buck we could easily visualize him. If you've seen Dylan's buck then you know what I'm talking about.

We come about names in weird ways sometimes. It's all part of the fun for us!

I do think a 100 inch buck will be taken in the future! I'll have to come up with a new name, though, when I find him. JoeBoo has all ready been used.

Cleric, That's interesting with the names. I thought I was the only one who had names for antelope. I do remember JoeBoo in Major League. I can relate to that. I have not seen a picture of Dylan Wood's buck. Is that on your website?
Thanks for replying.
Jon

Actually a picture of Dylan's buck is on our website. It's under the random pictures link (where we post pictures of anyone's giant bucks) and then in the archives which is linked at the bottom.

http://www.pronghornguideservice.com/Archive2.htm

That link will take you to the archives and there are three pictures of his buck there. These are the only three pictures I've ever seen of this buck.

WOW! What a buck. Guess some people don't really care about the importance of a potential world record.
I passed up a buck this year that looks just like that "Rambo" buck in your pictures. He was around the 14 inch mark and I wanted to see if he will get bigger in the next few years.
You guys have the best pictures of antelope anywhere. Thanks !

A side note about Dylan's buck...in Fair Chase a few issues back Dylan's buck was finally entered into B&C. I don't know if he entered the buck himself or if someone else did it for him. Now, he'll have to have it panel scored to uphold it's original score of 95. It'll be interesting to see if Dylan sends the buck to the banquet to be panel scored. If it upholds there will be a tie for the World's Record spot in B&C. I think that'll be a first.

You passed up a buck like that?! What state were you hunting? That Rambo buck is almost 90 inches! We have a little bit of video of him, but it's far away.

Eli, the buck I passed up like that would only go 79 to 80 inch mark. His horns were the same shape as the Rambo buck just more compact but he has about a five inch prong. If I draw next year I may try for him just to get a freak on the wall.
I live in Riverton Wyoming and hunt area 66 which is about a 15 mile drive south. It's close to town that's why I hunt it.
I have taken some real nice bucks in this area but nothing over the 16 inch mark. I have only seen one that would have gone 17 but didn't have a permit that year. They get good mass but not the length.

Glad to hear his buck was entered. A buck like that needs to be recognized.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-21-03 AT 12:30PM (MST)[p]Okay, I guess I'll post one. This is from 2002. I actually think he may have been bigger in 2002.

DW-2-Lowres.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom