E85 over Gas...anyone?

Wiszard

Long Time Member
We just bought a 2011 Chevy Silverado and it can run on E85. That was not one of the reasons we bought it. Getting gas yesterday, I noticed that E85 was less than $2.00 per gallon. That intrigued me so I did some research. Long story short...Car and Driver ran a test in which it put E85 and gas against eachother to see which was "best" overall. Out of a tank of each...gas got 390 miles from the tank full where E85 got 290 miles. To me losing 100 miles out of a tank is a big deal. Who prefers E85 over gas and why? Thanks.

Steve

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

My buddy did this test a few years ago with a Ford half ton. Regular gas, E85, and a tweener ethanol mix. Straight gas was the cheapest per mile and also gives the most power. Corn is food, gas is fuel. Ethanol is a government boondoggle.

"Corn is food, gas is fuel. Ethanol is a government boondoggle."

I thought that was about right.....if the government has their hands in it, it can't be lucrative...unless you are the one with your hand out.

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

Just Keep Running that BS Government Approved Fuel in your Gas Engines & You'll be Spending quite a bit on keeping Smaller Engines/Engines that don't get Run very often running!

Maybe dude & NeMont can get on here & tell us just how GAWD-DAMNED Good this Obama Fuel really is?

It's by far the worst F'N Fuel you can Run!

[font color="blue"]They Shot Him in the Back AKA 'LaVoyed Him'!
[/font]

>It has good benefits in the
>drag racing world not that
>it matters in your scenario
>

Don't get your Ethanol Mixed up with Methanol!

[/font]

Another thing that's always amazed me is the Government Brain Washing people in to thinking we can produce enough Corn to Run all the Gas Engines we have!

Anybody wanna guesstimate how much Corn Versus 1 Oil Well in comparison?

WAFJ!!!

[/font]

E85 has less energy density than regular gasoline, meaning that you get less range and power as compared to a tank of regular gas. Mind you that "regular" gas is now 10% ethanol, so even that has been diluted somewhat. There are places where you can fill up with straight gasoline that hasn't been cut with ethanol, and you'll find that your car will likely run much better and get better mileage. I have to run my lawn tractor on pure gasoline, even the 10% stuff will damage the carb. You should see what E85 does to an engine that isn't designed to use it...

Gasoline has more energy per unit than corn ethanol period. It is also more stable than E85 for storage.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Im not mixing the two...e85 is able to be used in higher compression engines where race gas would normally be used..so normaly guys with street/strip cars will convert to e85 instead of paying over $12 a gal. for race fuel like me

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom