Earliest EVER!!!

W

wyohikeit

Went out today just to blow the stink off. It snowed Again yesterday, enough to cover up everything so our optomism was low. It did not help that when we got out of the truck there were wolf tracks headed up the trail ahead of us in the fresh snow! It's always good to get out though the scenery was great, but did not find any sheds for three hours then as we started into a little meadow I spotted this

044.jpg

I told my hiking buddy come check this out!

045.jpg

049.jpg

052.jpg

This is the earliest I have EVER picked up a fresh elk shed
We spent three hours searching for the other side but not yet
I did find a little mulie shed too

066.jpg

069.jpg

Twas a good day!!!

071.jpg

Time in the hills is always worth more than money

That is a nice shed. Great find. I have not gone out yet so your story has given some hope and I am eager to hit the hills.

ba ba ba boo yaa!! way to go! looks like the early bird got the worm on that one! Wyo, i am heading out the door right now. wish me luck!!

hello my boney old-time friend! that is one awsome elk antler! congrats! I hope you find the match! I will be in town the last week of march for a job interview, if you have not found the match by then--I will help you out!

sweet antler...i love the ATL shot with the snow on it...you see that and can tell it is a good horn. That is a great feeling, good luck finding the mate, hope you do and can post the set up for us to salivate over.

Hey Man, My wishes are with you on finding the match, hopefully the other side as a lot of character too! I hope all is well with you and your family, I bet Jame is have a blast fishing! I would like to go fish the NorthFork that last week of March, it is always good before they close it! I have had a faily good response to the posting about buying antler, it is just hard to hook up with people, they seem to all live a long ways away. I just bought a bunch of bone from Jason L. ---need money to mount his whitetail from last year. take care.

Thats a dandy! Whats it score and how much did it weigh? Good Luck on finding the other side.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-17-08 AT 07:10AM (MST)[p]Longun It scores 154 It weighs 9 pounds 12oz The base is 11"under the button It seems like an old bull so he has probably shed the other side but there is 18" of snow in the timber there and 10' deep drifts near if the other side landed points down in stead of laying up on the log it may be a while till it's found. There have been deer antler hunters around too so it could be in someone elses garage!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-18-08 AT 08:14PM (MST)[p]Hey Wyohikeit....

When I seen the picture of the great drop tine horn you found It took me back to march 14 05. I was out checking my trail camera and found a 14lb six point horn,looked Like it was shed the night before. I spent 4 hrs looking for the other side with no luck. Went out the next day and after a fews hrs looking finally found the mate it was a huge 7 point with a drop tine like the one you found.It was over a mile from the other side!I hope your's is closer than that!Good luck finding it. To date they are still the biggest elk horns I have found.Here's a picture of the pair.

47e076202b1214c5.jpg

Whaletail that is quite a bull!!!
I went in 6 trips and walked over 40 miles to match up a huge set like that back in 2000, its my best set. This years find is one of the few even counting the Yellowstone sheds that I have seen with a dropper on it. I have been watching a live bull for several years that has double drops over a foot long, just have not found the sheds---YET!!!

GADZOOKS!!!!!!! That is one freakin sweet antler man! Congrats! I love drops on elk antlers, pretty rare indeed. Thanks for sharing!!

Josh

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom