East Oregon Info

D

ddy58

We normally hunt in the areas surrounding unity and john day. I was wondering if any one else hunts early archery in this area. I have some questions about private property around Unity.

I've hunted around the John Day, Long Creek area. Great area, but can get over crowded with people in certain areas.

jeremy

I also hunt the Long Creek - Ritter area and have hunted John Day. Has some good areas - I rifle hunt. Anyway, what do you need to know, I can tell you the private is mostly no access, much of it controlled by outfitters.
Frank

LAST EDITED ON Feb-18-05 AT 01:40PM (MST)[p] I have hunted out of Unity twice. My father in law hunted over there for years. I know that there is alot of private land around. It seems like we used to have the same guy(land owner) stop at our camp and check in on us. Can't remember his name but he would let us know if he saw anything around if we kept an eye out for his live stock. I know I just about shot a buck out side of unity(east) and had a guy hiding in a jeep come out of nowhere and run me off his land. Which wasn't posted.Which I believe he was being paid to watch. I also know that there is private property up towards Iron side mountain but you can bypass it to get up on the mountain. I haven't been able to draw over there for a while but am hoping this is the year. Being a non res doesn't give me much hope.

What info are you looking for??? Sounds like you have people willing to help out, just need more information...

My question is about the area around the Bull Run trail head. Just before you get to a mine on that road on the downhill side it is fenced but not posted. The fence doesnt exactly look well maintained and it apppears to be public land on an old map we have. But all the elk we saw anywhere around that area ended up on that property and I was just curious if any one knows if it is public. Also if any one knows who owns it and if they are hunter friendly would be appreciated. Thanks

This is real close to Unity. If your coming from Jon Day you turn right up into the hills about 2 miles before unity.

I am from NV and I was looking for some info on archery elk hunts in Oregon. I was looking at the Snake River, Imnaha, Santiam and Mckensie units. I have never set foot in Oregon and plan on buying an over the counter tag. Any info to get me pointed in the right direction would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Todd

ddy58,
I am new to this board, but have hunted the area you spoke of for over 15 years.
From the turn off near Unity all the way to the Long Creek road, is ALL private property below Bullrun Mt, even if it looks not posted. The landowners have had a problem with poachers and fence cutting, so they are not very outsider friendly.
It is also hunted very hard by road hunters and some guides. Watch your six. I had my tires cut twice in a 5 day elk hunt, and the funny thing is, the very guy I think did the dirty deed, couldn't get his rig started one afternoon. So guess who was the good sam that helped him out?

Easymoney

Thanks for the info and the heads up. We were bowhunting there the first of Sept this year and never saw another hunter the week we were there. Like you said the fence was cut in multiple spots so we couldnt be sure. To be on the safe side we left our bows in camp and went and glassed the elk and looked for signs but never found any. Thanks for the help.

I used to archery hunt allot around Bull run. I don't ever remember seeing private property near the top. From where does the trail start? I would come from the Long creek reservoir side.

mtm600:

Are you interested in a private land hunt? If so, I can send you a pm with more info.

My comments were: the land below Bullrun Mt( before you cross the "ditch" road) is all private. The Mountain itself is National Forest and Monument Rock Wilderness. Trails start almost anywhere in the National Forest and the wilderness areas are supposed to be ATV free. The Long Creek area is a mix of private and public land, depending where you are standing. From the Long Creek turn off, to the south it is National Forest. To the North there is alot of private ranch property with no tresspassing allowed. Believe me I've tried to get permission...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom