Eastmans vs Huntin'fool

dakotakidz

Appears these publications are similiar in approach? Any perspective as whether it is worth subscribing to both for research purposes? I'm saving points and can no longer hunt the unit I am familiar with, I'm needing to research new OTC areas for Elk, and areas I can draw every other year, or so, for muleys wih "some" trophy potential. What say you?

I had both for awhile but cancelled my Eastmans. I feel that Huntinfool is a little more informative and I like the layout of the magazine better but where Huntinfool shines above Eastmans is their customer service in my opinion. The info that you can get by talking to them is amazing after you have drawn a tag or before you apply or even gear. They are a great resource for out of state hunting.

Ive been a subscriber to both mags and have cancelled both of them due to a smaller paycheck right now. But I got a lot more use out of Huntin Fool. The biggest benefit is the hunter lists that Garth will send you if you ask for them. Unfortunately both mags mess up drawing odds for all of us. BH1

I only subscribe to the HF, so I can't speak of EHJ. If your looking for a lot of info on OTC units the HF might not be a good choice, as they don't publicize much on OTC tags. The magazine definitely focuses on "trophy" type animals, which could still be good for you since you mentioned that you were accumulating points.

$100 alone is worth not missing a deadline, having the state specific info, and being updated on the changes of the Western states..to me anyway.

Had both. +1 on Huntin' Fool. Their research can give you a lot on insight on where not to apply as well. Definately one of the tools I use each year. I've had excellent advice from other members on units new to me. I've also had the privilege of returning the favor to others. The member hunt articles alone are worth the price of admission.

I'll have to give EHJ its credit, at much less than half the price, the info is very good. Although not nearly as boiled down and easy to follow as HF. The HF tendacny to lean towards the high dollar hunts vs. EHJ and EBJ roots of DIY, make the later my favored. HF is a good one don't get me wrong.

HF, beats them in every department and not by just a little. Its hard to believe that a magazine that 5 years ago was only a source of information for hunting out of state units is now beating (IMO) all of the other hunting magazines that only had one focus.
Now the other magazines are trying to give info on units and it is no where near as detailed or as well laid out.

I get all 3 magazines HF, and Eastmans hunting and Archery, but, could easily give up the Eastmans.

Even the articles that go over certain aspects of hunting are way better than the other magazines.
This last month they covered cameras, back pack hunting and the articles were very informative.

Huntin' Fool, hands down.

------------------
DRSS Chapuis 470NE
SCI
DSC
WSF
QU
NRA

Jack, I wouldn't expect you to lob allegations like that considering your unwavering belief in Innocent Until Proven Guilty.

I have got both for many years.

HF is best for detail and trophy hunting, obviosly more expensive.

EJ is less detailed, covers the OTC units a little better, less expensive.

For sure both is the best, if that doesnt fit your budget I would opt for the HF...keep in mind that the HF has a huge folling these days and thier "top picks" sometimes will get an unexpected surge in applications. sometimes it is just as important to know what unit Not to apply for!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-08-09 AT 03:14PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-08-09 AT 03:13?PM (MST)

Last I checked, they seem to be lagal in all states if you follow the law! Ultralights that is!

Steve
www.muledeercountry.com

Absolutely Huntin' Fool. I called them a while back and asked them about a specific unit. Down to earth, great customer service and very knowledgeable.

The magazine quality is great as well. Its well worth the $100.

I cancelled my Eastman's subscription several years ago. After listening to their hypocritical rants, I am glad I did.

+10 Huntin Fool!!

Personally, I don't even put them in the same league. The magazine quality alone isn't even close and my experiences with Eastmans information was often incorrect or they missed the boat completely. I tried calling them about a goat unit listed for non residents that didn't even have a non resident quota. They ignored me and didn't return my call or email.

Huntin fool however, great information, accurate, and like was said above awesome customer service. I've spoke with them about guided hunts and DIY hunts. For me, they have been helpful with everything so far and spot on. I used that service they have where you draw a tag in a unit last year and they send you others that have had it. It was very helpful for me too.

I got sick of old stories and incorrect information from Eastmans so I cancelled it. Huntin fool is well worth it.

Hope you guys are right :). I just ordered HF. I'm a magazine junkey, and have a subscription to just about all of them : EHJ, EBJ, Hunting Illustrated, Trophy Hunter and Muley Crazey - not to mention a couple of taxidermy magazines. One of these days I'll have time to do something besides just look at the pictures.

I take both of them but if I had to choose I would take Huntin' Fool hands down. I like Eastman's, but it's my bathroom reading. When I get serious about where to apply Huntin' Fool is my Bible. I have to admit after being a member for a few years I'm a raving Huntin' Fool fan, so I might be biased.

It's hard to compare the two, not even in the same league. Eastman's is a magazine and Huntin' Fool is a membership with a ton of perks, their magazine is just one of the perks.

Huntin' Fool is more expensive but honestly I would pay double what they ask for what I get. As mentioned by others their member draw database alone is priceless. For a unit I drew in Colorado they sent me a list of 10 guys who have hunted the same unit the last few years. It's unbelievable how much info their members are willing to share.

Love HF's online personalized member portfolio, if you apply in multiple sates it's a great way to keep track of all of your apps and points in each state. I build points in most states that offer them, I use their website a lot. Not to mention stats and maps, killer custom maps. I just got one back that I ordered for a place in central Utah?it's awesome.

Like comparing apples and oranges, but even when you compare hunting stories I just looked at two back issues, Eastman's prints about 9 in each of their 6 issues and HF prints about 20 in each of their 12 issues.

A word of warning, don't rely on Eastman's MRS information. I've noticed as well that their state reviews are based on 1 year old data. In their '09 magazines they recommended a few units that I didn't see in HF. After referring to the regulations for each state I noticed those units had been closed for '09. Huntin' Fool always waits to cover each state until after the state comes out with the current year units and regulations, big, big, big deal if you rely on their info.

Wow, long post, haven't posted in years but had some strong feelings after discovering the old intel in Eastman's this year. Plus when you try and call them they don't take or return calls, I love the way I can call the HF consultants anytime and ask about specific questions I have about each state and the units I'm hunting.

One other thing that bugs me is the "Eastman's Way" high horse. They always preach Public Land DIY hunts, but a lot of their hunts seem to be guided on private land, just watch the TV show. I'm not against private land hunts or outfitted hunts, I hope to go on many of them some day, just hate the high horse they always seem to be jumping off whenever they get a chance. Don't be preachy if you can't do it your own "way."

+HF like everyone else has said.

I drew a Utah LE archery elk tag last year as a NR. The time as well as accurate info they gave me was priceless as a NR and 1000 miles away! The outfitter they put me onto made for one of the best hunting experiences ever! We even stopped into the office during our hunt and the staff was just as nice in person as on the phone, they invited us back to meet Garth and the rest of the guys.

I would also agree their recommendations throw the draw odds out of wack even more, but I admire them for living the dream and making a living off something they are passionate about.

I just got my July issue yesterday and opened it up to see they had published the story I had submitted, "The Bucket List Bull"!

Sukie

I don't know about the Huntin Fool, but I do know earlier this year Eastmans MSR mentioned the Oquirrh/Stansbury unit as a great unit for big bulls in Utah?! I don't know much about other states, but I know Utah and that's a unit for reject bulls! Someone please tell me why they would brag up that unit!

+1 Great bull and story!

I have been published once and it is a great feeling when you open that magazine up and see your story.

Thanks B4B,
I still have to pinch myself, 'cause at 50 yrs old I may not ever get another chance at a bull like that!

Sukie

+1 ARO

For like $150.00 a year.....a guy gets 2 great DIY mags from Eastman's----EBJ and EHJ Plus a free new DVD.....

And ya know what NOT to apply for in many Rocky Mountain States/Units from Huntin' Fool...

$150.00 divided by 12 months..............less than $13 bucks a month....

Robb

LAST EDITED ON Jul-11-09 AT 08:01PM (MST)[p]Huntin Fool rules.
I get both though.
They helped me draw an Oryx tag WSMR and a WY elk tag this year. I drew a NW Antelope tag last year thanks to HF.

flyingbrass
cold dead hands

I have both and I would say they both have their good and bad qualites. But I still believe that my Eastman subscription is well worth it. I would take anything that is posted in either website in Good faith, but would not consider either as the Bible of Western Hunting.

On another note...I had a picture of My Antelope Published in the Eastmans Journal 3 months ago (on the Back- successful Trophy Hunters)and their staff sent me a personalized letter to thank me for their support, 5 free copies of the magazine, and a free DVD). >> That is great customer service, if you ask me....

Ohh and better odds at drawing a tag if you apply for units that both consider as marginal, instead of the ones they consider the best.... =) anyone agree?
-Zilla

hope Garth has a stroke...goes bankrupt, hunting accident, anything bad.... he ruined fair draw odds because of lazy hunters who can't do their own work...take area 102 in Wyo ...he killed it he said hunter should apply for it...
so anyone whos says his word can't change things....ya am pissed off

4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

I wish both magazines would feature the low to 0 bonus points for Colorado big game research to assist those of us who rely on having no P/P's or bons points. I get both and HF almost has the same info on hunt units from one year to another. Arizona, for them, has to be a breeze, just copy last years. I'll still get both for the time being.

Does either Magazine ever cover Hunting opportunities for the Disabled Hunter ? Both subcriptions are way out of my budget with the medical expenses but I could save up for a subscription if I thought it would do me any good.

Most of the hunts I have read about are for the Healthy or Wealthy or Stealthy.

Destiny

DIY, Rack-Bracketing, No Fences Here, The Authority on Western Big Game Hunting, cutsie ways to judge game, anti-outfitting unless it fits their needs...I cancelled my subscription to Eastman's years ago. I could care less if ever read anything by Mike ever again.

Huntin Fool puts out a good product but the quality of the written articles are often quite poor and the layout of the pages are basic and simple. The photos and information are usually really good...it is in no way a brilliant literary production. They provide a model for regular guys to be students of the "hunting game".

I've got the Huntin Fool since it 1rst came out & the earlier years were better for draw info.The magazine has gotten bigger but I liked the old plain paper version.It's still worth my $100 to pay attention to all the state draws!
I have every Eastman's Journal except the very 1rst one & I got a photo-copy of that one from Mike.Both the archery & the original magazine have good articles but their research section isn't near as good as Huntin Fool.All 3 magazines give me some decent reading & like someone said earlier,what NOT to put in for.Garth has messed things up in alot of states & Mike's ego gets in the way in his magazines!
David

I'm with Drnaln. I've subscibed to both for years-I credit Eastmans' with helping me get a beautiful Shiras with my bow-one of their past articles put me on a great outfitter for the Area I had drawn. They even published my article about the hunt and were great to deal with.

I also like their "No Fences" stand and admire them for that.
BUT Eastmans' is very hypocritical when it comes to all the DIY emphasis.They really look down their noses at those who don't do it "100% DIY" yet they go on guided hunts all the time but just don't emphasize the fact. Also,since they are in the hunting game 24/7/365 they might as well be guides themselves for all practical purposes. Mike spends months out of the year scouting WY antelope-how many people can do that? To call what he does DIY is a stretch.Why? No one else has that kind of time to devote to it. Kinda like me as a lawyer saying to a client: "Why don't you just man up and try your own case-I do it all the time!"

But I enjoy both very much and they are by far my 2 favorites-much better than the others out there IMO.

I have zero experience with HF. My son had his picture in EHJ last year and the great gifts that were sent to him by the Eastmans organization were above and beyond the call. Sure they were supplied by advertisers to Eastmans. The many ways this "business" we are part and parcel of as hunters boils down to being about the money.

Dean Parisian
Life Member of NRA,TN,MN & GA Trapping Associations.
Kids who trap and hunt don't mug little old ladies.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom