Eatin' Ducks and Geese

O_S_O_K

Another thread got me too thinking, and yes it hurts :)

I hear people say all of the time that ducks and geese taste like garbage. I have to admit, I have had some that tasted just like mud (Scaup), or even very fishy (Merganzer) but I happen to love the taste of a good puddle duck (Pinny, Malard, Gadwall, Teal, etc.) and goose.

So, my question is this: How do you guys cook up your birds to make 'em tasty?

Here are a couple of recipes we have found to be just awesome and everyone that has tried them can't even tell it's duck.

First let me say, I do know one of the biggest mistakes people make when cooking waterfowl is they over cook it giving it that livery taste and texture. Just like most other wild game, you only want to cook your fowl to med rare - med and the most.

1) My favorite: I like to soak mine in a little milk before I cook them. It helps to remove the blood. I then cut the breasts into little 3/4-1" squares. I use about a half a bottle of Franks Red Hot and a half a bottle of Soy Sauce. Heat up a skillet and throw the meat in. Add the sauces and cook till the sauce thickens. Doesn't take very long and one of the tasitest little treats after a day in the field. My boy craves this and can't wait till we get home.

2) Another: I will also use a little olive oil in a skillet and get it nice and hot. Throw in the duck breast sliced to about a half inch thick. Season with Cabela's Blackened Seasoning and cook to Med Rare - Med. Very tasty!

3) BBQ: I have tried this method a couple of times. I went on up to Canada to hunt ducks and geese with an outfitter a couple years back and the guide cooked us up a bunch of the birds one night. He tenderized them and marinated them in some secret sauce (I was never able to get from him) and then cooked them on the grill. Honestly, one of the best pieces of meat I have ever had and I love the taste of Elk and Deer. I have not been so successful with this method but I would love to be ablke to re-create the result.

So, hopefully you guys find this helpful and I am hoping some of you may be able to add some more good ideas on this subject, especially with the BBQ method.

Thanks!

"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

I smoke the breasts and legs. It's easy and makes for light food while hunting ducks.

It was a big bodied 2 point. (this is my signature)

What I do Is I cut the breasts into about 1/2" strips and use a little brown sugar and half a slice of bacon held together by a toothpick and put on the grill! I personally love it

Don't pass on the first day if you would shoot it the last day

What i do is just drive to the nearest waste treatment facility and see all the ducks eating the whole town's sh_it.

It just helps me with the fact why i dont eat ducks!

hornkiller.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Nov-23-11 AT 06:28AM (MST)[p]Thunder that is one of my favs too, but I also add a slice or two of jalepeno before it hits the mesquite coals.

There is a reason they are called waterFOWL.

Seasoned with all the stuff you guys use, you could eat muskrat, and save on the cost of steel shot.

"Sky Carp" are fun to hunt and my nephew has a sausage reciepe that makes them edible........right up there with possum, so they tell me.

"If God did not intend for man to hunt animals, he would have made broccoli more fun to shoot"

Duck, puddlers, are outstanding.
Pluck them, keep the skin on and take the breast off, breast them out.
Rub on salt, some pepper...then roast. You have to have them on a rack, so the grease drips off.
Cook to a temp of 175-180 on the inside.

Whalla, great

LAST EDITED ON Nov-23-11 AT 08:31AM (MST)[p]I cant believe I haven't seen my favorite way to cook waterfowl posted up yet ! So he is the best way !!!!
So you get a real nice piece of pine board. About 12" X 8 " clean the duck and place it on the board. Then you season it on the board. Ether with milk or wine if you prefer.Then your favorite seasoning like teriyaki or something spicier. Then cook it slow at 250 degrees for three hours. When done throw away the bird and eat the board.
I love to hunt water fowl. Just dont like to eat it.So it is more of a shoot and find some one that will eat the da**** things. Good luck

I used to hunt ducks all the time. After 5,000+ different recipes, and can't miss methods, I finally decided they tasted like crap. I'll take my son a few times a year and usually, I won't even shoot. He understands that I'll cook them and
he can eat them!

I can choke down a corn fed goose on occasion....

If bobcat bess will eat some mallard fillets, I'll take up hunting them again.

What bunch of puzzies! It tastes gamey it tastes fishy wahh cry me a river!

Just kidding. My family happens to love ducks and geese but many people I know don't. Our favorite is cut the breasts into strips and fry either breaded or not but we soak the breast in salt water first to remove the blood. We also sometimes make it into a gravy after frying and pour over wild rice.

Bill

Look out Forkie, FTW is watching us!

One of my fondest youth memories was hunting with friends and insisting that he was the one that killed the bird and had to take care of it. The newbe would always limit out. LOL

Actually, one of my former mother-in-laws....don't remember which one..., made spaghetti sauce with some mallards and it was very good.

She said that during the Depression, they hung mousetraps in the cherry trees and made spaghetti sauce with robins......or?

"If God did not intend for man to hunt animals, he would have made broccoli more fun to shoot"

I haven't been for awhile, but my brother goes ALOT. They have started making pepperoni stick out of them, all birds mixed together. It's pretty good.

1- skin & breast, soak in salty water over night.

2- Cube (about 3/8"), fry in butter.

3- Place cooked meat in a crockpot and cover with beef gravy (I use Watkins beef gravy mix). Simmer (bubbling) for 4 hours. Stir occasionally.

Serve over steamed rice.

Voila, Zeke

We eat ducks all winter long. We have many many recipies that work, some better than others, but the one factor that is most important in cooking waterfowlis DO NOT OVERCOOK! this is the #1 mistake made by most people cooking waterfowl.

Soak in COLD water, salt / milk do not do as well as plain old cold water. Soak the duck for 2 days changing the water twice a day.

#1 Once they have soaked for 2 days either cut the breasts in half or leave whole. and pan fry in olive oil, garlic, mushrooms and onions with a little dry white wine. DO NOT OVER COOK! 5-7 minutes per side is plenty.

#2 slice breast in half fill with cream cheese and jalapenos, wrap in bacon and bake for 35 mins at 350 to 400.

#3 stuff whole bird with sausage, garlic, onions and peppers. bake until done.

Goose - stuff and bake, breast and roast, just do not cook goose too long, they end up worse than duck when over done.

Try one of these and enjoy the meal!!! maybe it will mean more time in the feild with you and yours!

Rice fed California ducks are great! Do not over cook, breasted or whole. I like to BBQ at 450-500 for 35min stuffed with apples. 135 degree breast temp.

I don't mind puddlers and my son loves 'em. One of my favorite recipes is to throw a half pound of sausage in a pan. When sausage is almost done, add two mallard sized duck breasts cut into strips. Just brown these and then add one can of cream of chicken soup and one can of water. I then add some garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer covered for about an hour, stirring occasionally. Serve over rice. Pretty tasty dish.

I also jerky a bunch of them (especially divers) and that is really good. I grind them, then add seasoning and cure. Use a jerky gun with the strip attachment and put it in the dehydrator. Tasty!

Had a fun day yesterday.
P1060289.jpg

Cut in to about 1 inch cubes. Rub with Phil Robertsons cajun seasoning and wrap with one piece of bacon, add onions and peppers on a skewer. Grill med rare.

2010 TOTALS
P.E.T.A. = 0 HUNTERS GONE
UTAH WILDLIFE BOARD = 13,000 HUNTERS GONE

LAST EDITED ON Nov-24-11 AT 11:38AM (MST)[p]Ducks are very good if you follow a few basic rules.

I have a friend, Scott Leysath, who is the host of HuntFishCook TV, which is a cable show, and who has made a very successful career out of cooking wild game. He's also published several cookbooks on preparing wild game. Scott has a few tips for anyone who wants good tasting waterfowl. Before those, here are his websites, where you can get many great recipes for any wild game you wish to cook. www.huntfishcook.com or www.thesportingchef.com

#1, only cook 'good' birds. By that, I mean if the bird doesn't smell good, throw it out. Most grain fed puddle ducks are great, but every once in a while you'll get a bad bird, don't even mess with it.

#2 Brine all your birds. A simply brine with a cup of salt and a cup of brown sugar dissolved in water works wonders. Put your ducks in this brine, in the refrigerator, overnight and you'll be amazed at how much better your birds taste.

#3 Do not overcook them. Ducks are best prepared medium rare, and not one bit more done than that. At this point, they are flavorful and juicy. Much beyond that and they quickly dry out and the taste diminishes.

Try some new ways of cooking ducks. Of all the ways I love them, it is still hard to beat a brined bird that has been seasoned with a good dry rub and which is then grilled over hardwood coals. You can do them all sort of fancy ways, but a bird simply grilled his hard to beat. The best eating species, in order (my opinion only) tend to be wood ducks, then green wing teal, pintails, mallards with all the others behind these four. Specklebellies are also very good, as are Black Brant.

If you want to become a better wild game chef, I recommend you check out Scott's website and watch his TV show. He can make you a better cook, and he's also a damned good guest as you eat really well when he hunts with you.

I cut mine into thin strips (1/8" thick), this prevents any BB's from destroying my teeth. I then marinate them in lemon pepper sauce with onions and jalepeno peppers. a day or two later I fry them in a pan with all the peppers, onions, juice.
If you want you can add rice or eat them plain.
Leftovers work good for sandwhich meat or even like a jerky in the backpack...
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Half a bottle of Franks hot sauce!!!??? That must be the secret to drown out the taste of fowl! :)

Traditional >>>------->

Thanks for all of the ideas guys. There are some pretty tasty sounding ways to try.

And yes, Franks hot sauce can drown out the taste of a lot of things but I think you would be surprised if you tried it.

Any other ideas???

"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom