Elk 58

IDoutdoors

My son and I drew cow elk unit 58. My son had this tag last year but we never got into any elk. We saw one hunter with an elk in the back of a Utv. Anyone else have this tag or have hunted this unit at all that has an pointers or suggestions where to start. Are the elk numbers good in this unit? Hopefully I will learn more about the unit this year. Thanks in advance.

If there is snow the Bald Mountain area and some of those pockets of cover are good places. If no snow hike higher into the back country on all those canyons funneling down into Bald Mountain.

I've often seen elk while driving the highway in 58. You could see elk anywhere in the unit but I would focus on areas that have the best food for elk. Private land down low or higher elevations will have the best elk food. Since you are hunting cow elk, I think you have a chance of getting permission if you talk to landowners. most farmers don't like the elk and if they think you are a responsible hunter and ask politely, you have a chance of getting on private land. It wouldn't hurt to talk to the F&G officer covering the area. He would likely share a list of landowners that hate elk.
Personally, I would rather hunt in the mountains and wouldn't count on there being enough snow to push the elk below 8000 feet of elevation. It would probably be a waste of time and effort to try hunting elk above 9000 feet of elevation in November unless it is a really hot and dry fall.
I'll send you a PM with some other information.

If what the others have mentioned doesn't pan out, you'll need to get up to a good vantage point where you can see lots of country, then put your binoculars to work. Even if you see elk 2 miles away, at least you have an idea where you'll need to go. Then make a plan to access that country you're seeing them in.

I had an October buck tag in 58 last year. Elk are everywhere. This would be my dream bull elk hunt in Idaho. In 4 days I hunted all 4 corners of unit. Saw some good herds in the Diamond peak area. It shouldn't be a problem filling your tag.

Thanks BGnight for the info. How was your deer hunt?
Skunked. Deer are hard to find unlike elk (found out they're mostly in the SW corner). Blew a stalk on a 4 point. If I was comfortable with 500 yard shots I could have killed him but my set up and skill keeps me under 300. Only saw 2 bucks in the 5 days I hunted. I'd hunt it again though. Country is amazing. You'll have a blast. Like I said, the MOST elk I saw were just immediately south and north of Diamond Peak. They were easy to spot and I saw them multiple days. Everywhere else I just saw random bulls walking around.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom