Elk Advise

Camper_A1

Very Active Member
I'm a non-res sitting on 11 elk points. What are you thoughts about a muzzleloader hunt on unit 6A or 22 south. I know unit 6a holds alot of elk but not sure if I could draw with 11 points. Any advise or general suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to pm me if you would like. Thanks in advance.

Alan

You would have a VERY small chance at drawing the 6A muzzy tag. IF you archery hunt, you can draw a lot of great tags! You are still years away from drawing an early rifle or muzzy tag.

22 South could be tough if you are out of state. Its not your typical az elk hunt. Take a look at some of the hunts in mid-oct. These might be achievable choices for your point range.

Good advise from above,I'll say you have NO CHANCE,ZERO of drawing the Sept. Muz. hunt as a N.R.,because of Az. draw system.You have waited a couple of extra years already apparently putting for hunts that can't be drawn ??? The Oct general elk hunt in 6A would be a good chance to draw with Your b.p. #'s.as a 1st. choice followed by a late Nov. hunt in 6,7,8,10 as a 2nd. choice.Apply for these hunt choices and hunt elk in Az. in 2012 ... Good Luck,you have waited long enough ... Bruce & SilverGrand

Thanks for the replys. How does the draw work if I put in with a resident in the draw? I would like a chance at a 340-350 type of bull, is this reasonable expectation on 6A general. Are the busted up after the rut? Bruce & SilverGrand what are some of your archery suggestions and would the archery hunt be a better option than the general rifle hunt. Thanks again.

Alan

Most would like a chance at a bull that size, but they are few and far between. When I was in 6A for the two week archery hunt last September with my buddy we saw some good bulls, but not of that caliber.

Thanks that is what I was wondering if thats realistic in some units and not others. What would be a reasonable expectation for 6A?

From what I saw I think you could easily break 320", but I don't know how many of the ones like you originally mentioned are in the unit.

Alan:

Archery is the way to go over the general rifle hunts,for sure.All units have Big Bulls and if the weather helps the archery hunts can be great.Last year it rained on the Opener and for days after and archery hunts were tough,real tough !!! With your B.P.#'s all hunts can be drawn except for units 9 & 10 and 23N.Units 1,5,6,7 and 8 are good archery choices for a 320-340 class bull.You only have 2 choices,use them well.Good Luck and good choice picking archery elk.
As for applying with a Res.You will drag Him down if the N.R. quota is met.Apply seperate,will better for aLL,Good Luck ...
Bruce & SilverGrand

Alan:

Here is my take on your situation. If you're an archer, you've got a real chance to get one of those 650 tags that G&F is offering this year in Unit 6A.

As for muzzleloader and early rifle hunts, you are way out on those.

I drew that early 6A muzzleloader tag as a resident with way less than max points in 2010 and was fortunate enough to take a quality bull. We saw at least three others of this caliber during the hunt. There are some real boomers there!

If you're an archer wait it out for a few more years or dive in and go to Unit 6A.

The only problem with that 6A October hunt that Bruce is talking about is that G&F pushed it to the very end of the month this year. We used to have some late rut activity there and got some good bulls when that hunt was earlier. Now, not so sure, I think we'll miss it (rut). Still ought to be a decent hunt though. I'd take it over a late general hunt...

Anyway, every elk unit in AZ has some boomers bulls in them. They are just tough to find. Take a look at the odds and play the game. Though I'd never advise a NR to burn 11 points on a late rifle hunt, there are some great bulls taken on them every year. Here is a photo of a young man from Kingman who took a very nice bull in Unit 10 last year while hunting with his father and uncle,who know the unit very well. Check out those fronts and thirds! Wished our early bull in 10 had those thirds, he would have been a 390!

Anyway good luck and good hunting!

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

7243img_0177resize2.jpg

This guy scored 378 2/8 (gross)

1358jake_cave_2011_unit_10_bull.jpg

Bruce and Don thank you for your help and advise I'll do some more reasearch and come to a decision. I'm leaning to an achery hunt either this year or in the future. Thank you guys again. Thanks for the hunter ed class Don a friend and I came to Kingman about 10 years ago and took the class. It was fun and well worth the drive.

>Bruce and Don thank you for
>your help and advise I'll
>do some more reasearch and
>come to a decision. I'm
>leaning to an achery hunt
>either this year or in
>the future. Thank you guys
>again. Thanks for the hunter
>ed class Don a friend
>and I came to Kingman
>about 10 years ago and
>took the class. It was
>fun and well worth the
>drive.

Do archery. You can draw some great hunts with your points and the season dates are later this year. Use the draw odds feature and put in 11 points and see what units you can draw and go from there.

with 11 points unit 3a/3c, unit 27 or unit 1. Should be a now brainer. Just get a good guide and you'll have a real good chance at a 350 bull in those units. 100 draw with 12 points in those units so you are close.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom