elk archery seasons

adirondack

Anyone want to share their thoughts on the 3 different seasons. I am strongly considering the 1st season due to the draw odds. Are the 2nd and 3rd seasons that much better? The harvest rates seem to be comparable. Any thoughts? Thank you

I am assuming you are talking about the Gila? That's the only part of the state that offers 3 archery seasons.
1st season is hot and dry, usually. If sitting water is your thing, that's about your best bet. 2nd and 3rd season the bulls start getting vocal.

Third season is by far the best. Especially if you're any good at calling.

2nd season is a close 2nd to the 3rd season.

1st season can be very difficult depending on the year. Year before last in the Gila the bigger bulls were still in bachelor groups for the 1st hunt. Some bulls were still white horned and some still had velvet hanging and some hadn't even started to rub the velvet off yet.

If you want a guaranteed rut hunt the 3rd season is where it's at. That's why the draw odds are tougher.. it's a much higher quality of a hunt.

Moon phase, the weather, & unknown things can always change the rutting activity and intensity, but the end of September is where the magic happens. Period.

If I could afford landowner archery tags, I would hunt the last week of September every year.

I will be buying a lottery ticket tomorrow... it helps to justify the dream! :)

Last year, we drew the 1st season in 16C. Everyone and their cousin showed up to "scout" and drive ATVs during labor day weekend. It looked like an off road course more than anything. Peopled were pretty good about not driving around during the early morning but they were sure our cruising around in the evenings. Also people showed up 2 days before the second hunt to look around. I don't blame for wanting to get a lay of the land before their hunt but it would be nice if NMDGF would provide a day or two break between hunts to make things less awkward. Lets just say that I used a full week of vacation and didn't get an elk. I hunted all 10 days. Way better than working but lots of distractions during the first season.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom