Elk behavior - what did I find?

M

mlrshooter

Good afternoon! I'm seeking some insight from experienced elk hunters regarding something I happened upon while hunting muleys this past weekend in 39. Didn't see a single deer, although there was some sign. The area we were in was supposedly an area where locals said there were elk, and in fact we did see three cows and a calf along with another critter with them that we couldn't tell if it was a bull or a cow due to the brush.
Anyway, Saturday evening my son and I were sitting on a hillside glassing toward another looking for deer. I was getting antsy and told my son to stay put and I was going to hike higher onto the hill and see what there was to see. After going up a ways I started going through a bench area about 300 yards or so below the ridgeline. It was a pretty brushy area with several aspen groves dotting the area. On the bench itself, I came across several areas that were really torn up - the ground was overturned, the bushes were torn to shreds. Elk poop here and there and lots of both fresh and older tracks. The space was probably an area of 50x50 feet and then the brush would begin to look "normal" again, with game trails heading through it. Actually, there were trails all over on the hillside. So after leaving this first area, I hit another torn up spot another 50 yards away or so and then two others just like it further on. Earth torn up, bushes shredded, tracks and poop piles. I didn't hike all the way to the ridgeline as I was losing light. Now, I'm no expert hunter by any means, but I'd never seen patches in the brush like this before. I asked a friend who's hunted elk a lot more than I have and he wondered if it was a place where the bulls would spar during the rut. I had wondered the same, but the rut seems to have been over for a while and some of the damage and certainly the tracks and droppings were not too old... some within a day or two from my estimation. So... what do you think I found? Was this the bull's fighting grounds? Elk bedroom? It wasn't human caused, I know that. If you folks think it is an active "living room" so to speak for elk, I sure as heck want to go back come Nov. 1! Think it would be worth a shot? Any insight you may have would be greatly appreciated. Maybe this will be my first year actually harvesting an elk!

I was into rutting bulls as late as October 14th this year.

I think you found a rutting area. There were probably bulls and cows in there during the peak of the rut.

In my opinion.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-20-13 AT 07:48AM (MST)[p]http://www.elknut.com
Vortex Optics Dealer

You most likely found a bulls bedding area. In many cases a bull will thrash the area himself that he is living in, just imagine him being there for several weeks. He could be doing the raking/thrashing as he starts feeling his oats with the oncoming rut as his testosterone levels raise quickly. As this happens & he sees or hears other bulls in the area he can feel restless & aggressive & takes his feelings out on his nearby surroundings, it's also possible another bull does venture in his area & they do spar but not nearly as likely that this bull is tearing things up mostly himself over a period of weeks. He could even have a few cows around & they could be bedded up to a couple hundred yards away, not all herd bulls & his cows bed together, sometimes they do though as the cows show signs of coming into estrus, then the herd bull can become more protective & will bed very close to his cows.

As far as the odds this bull will be around Nov 1 -- Well I wouldn't hold my breath for that! (grin) Bulls will start separating themselves from the cows by then especially the bigger guys & head off on their own to more secluded areas to rebuild themselves to endure the harsh winter. They need to build their wt & body fat up to survive everything they lost during the rutting period. Odds are not good he'll return to that area. Look for those secluded areas & let your glass do the scouting for him!

ElkNut1

Thanks elknut1! I appreciate your insight. I sent you a private message for a little further insight, if you don't mind.

THANKS!

IMO both responses were right on track.

I've heard dozens of buging bulls on a one PP unit in Colorado wth tons of pressure as late as Oct 14th. Crazy bugling in Nevada from Oct 20th-Oct 30th. And in a very limited unit in Colorado, several bugles in early Nov.

Either the bulls were rutting in that area, or a single bull was holed up there, post rut. As far as Nov 1st? Who knows, but it would be worth a look-see.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom