elk load

quickdrawkinker

I've never hunted elk with my muzz and am wondering if the load I use for deer will do the trick or if I need to go heavier???
My current load is:
100 grains (2 pellets) pyrodex
295 grain powerbelts

Thanks for any advice.

Your powder is fine, but I would go to the 338 platinum or the 348 aerotip if I used a powerbelt.

That said, there are better bullets out there than the powerbelt. What I mean by that is there are ones that hold together better.

1) Hornady FPB is an alloy (not pure lead like all the powerbelts) so it holds together pretty well. I use the 350 gr for elk

2) Thor bullets: a full size barnes copper conical. I would use the 300 gr.

In order of toughness: Thor, FPB, powerbelt.

If powerbelts were noticably more accutate, I would not hesitate to use them, but if the others were accurate, I would give them a nod.

The FPB is the cheapest bullet.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

>Great load and bullet.
>I've killed a couple of bulls
>with that load.
>Shoot what groups well in your
>gun!!!

this load groups exceptional with my Knight Disc (not sure which model it is??) which is why I dont want to change unless I absolutely have to. I know the PB's aren't the most durable, but they sure do group well out of my Knight--I may experiment a little with a heavier load just to see how it does though. Thanks for all the info guys!

There are certainly plenty of guys that have killed elk with the 295 powerbelt, but then there are plenty of guys who have killed an elk with a 243. I just like a wider safety margin. I only killed one elk with a powerbelt, and that was a 405 grain. The 338 platinum or the 348 aerotip would be my absolute minimum. Give them a try, they may group as well as your 295's.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I shot a big bull last season at 35 yards using 100 grains of BH209 and a 300 grain Hornaday SST. Bull jumped about 10 feet forward and fell over dead! This set up was by far the most accurate out of my muzzy as I practiced and shot last summer.

I'm useing 250 Barnes and 100 grns BH209, I know of several folks that have blown holes right thru bulls with same,dropping them.

This is the bullet that dropped my bull in his tracks last fall.

IMAG0468.jpg

-----------------------------------------------
http://andymansavage.blogspot.com/

I've killed four elk with the 295gr Powerbelt and 100gr of Triple 7, one was 200 yards out and bullet passed through. Switched to the 270gr Platnum last year and dropped a bull at 90 yards.I live in CO and sabots are illegal so not many choices in bullets for me, but I have not had a problem with a 295. Shot placement is and always will be the key.

In 2006, killed a big/old 320 class bull with my muzzy, shot him dead at 130 yards, real dead, using 150 gr of triple 7 pellets and a Barnes 285 grain bullet. Got excellent expansion, way better than the Hornady pic above and the bull died quickly. Accuracy with this load is three shots touching at 100 yards. Highly recommend the Barnes 285 grain or 290 grain bullets. I will be using this exact same load this year if I draw!

WP

"My only regret in life is setting my goals too low"

LAST EDITED ON Mar-18-11 AT 01:43PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-18-11 AT 01:42?PM (MST)

At 150 yards this bullet broke both front shoulders and was recovered between the hide and opposite shoulder. The elk never took a step.

bullet.jpg

After cleaning the bullet it still weighed 248grains!!!! Pretty good bullet in my book

2010elk1.jpg

+1 VTelkchaser, the 250 Barnes as well. Love those Barnes bullets. Beautiful bull! VT? Are you a hokie?

WP

"My only regret in life is setting my goals too low"

LAST EDITED ON Mar-19-11 AT 09:10AM (MST)[p]hokie????? Born and raised in VT(18 yrs)...after a lot of years in the army moved to UT so I could hunt elk!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom