Elk NR 4 pts

Pucci

Just want to get some info from you guys. Have 4 points and wondering what a good unit to put in for. I do hunt region W quite often and know the country well including seeing some Bulls on my deer hunts. Just retired so have all the time in the world. Also have 8 points for lopes. Thanks guys.

Don,
Have you joined www.hunterstrailhead.com ? This will give you a good idea where them points can help you decide. I wish I had your 8 Lope points....
I drew elk 41 last year and do not recommend it and that area works if you have lots of snow to get the Elk down out of the Big Horns.

With some luck we will be back in WY this year for Deer and maybe Lopes...not sure yet.

Oh yea, congrats on your retirement enjoy!

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

Pucci,

If I were you I wouldn't waste your four points on a general tag that could be drawn with two. You don't have enough points to draw the other units in region W.
You are kinda in the middle as far as elk; too many for wasting on a general tag, but not enough (6+) to draw a decent non-general tag.
You could do an archery only tag or draw an antlerless tag in one of the harder units like 100, 124, 24 that have good antelope hunting around them. Then you are in easy distance of some of the better antelope units also. This way you can hunt antelope and cow elk while learning the unit for a possible bull hunt in the future. Just an idea

So the bull hunts you can draw now;
36-9 37-9 38-9 41-9 51-9 Archery only tags
55-9 56-9 59-9 60-9 67-9

39-2 40-1 41-1 47-1 47-2
48-1 51-1 54-2 55-1 84-1
88-1 91-1 93-1 96-1 97-1
98-1 99-1 106-1 122-1 125-1

py

I would burn them on a general tag. The problem with WY is that there really are no in between units. Tags are either relatively easy to draw or take max points and everyone else will never catch up. My research has resulted in all of the in between units having no real feasible public access.

He could always pony up the extra cash if he has it and put in for a hard to draw unit as a 1st choice with the general tag as second choice. That is 100% draw every year so far and he might even get lucky and draw the first choice tag in the random draw. If that happened he would lose his 4PP, but it would be worth it. That's just another option for him to hunt this year and save his PPs. I, for sure, would not burn 4PPs on the general tag with the other choices he has.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom