Elk outfitter for 2019?

copple2

Howdy all,

I'm wanting to find an elk hunt for late September (preferred) or early October 2019 with a reputable outfitter. I know Idaho offers some late September/early October rifle hunts, which is my weapon of choice.

Are there any you all would recommend?

What about the outfitter allocated tags? How do those work? Any units I should be looking at?

My budget is healthy, so don't let that hold back your suggestions.

Thanks,

copple2

I'd be looking more for a big boy elk hunt vs just any bull.

I've been lucky enough to harvest a good handful of 280-310 type bulls and would love a chance at a big'un.

>Broadmouth canyon ranch sounds like it
>would be right up your
>alley.

If you are referring to the high fence operation,that's not for me.

Then you are better off buying a Utah bulll with your healthy budget. They cater to people with $$ more so than Idaho does

>Then you are better off buying
>a Utah bulll with your
>healthy budget. They cater to
>people with $$ more so
>than Idaho does

Thanks for being so helpful...

You?ll have to excuse IDbulls. His dissdain for NR?s or anyone that worked to afford themselves opportunities is just par for the course. His comments are a defensive impulse.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-22-18 AT 08:02PM (MST)[p]Yz, go troll some other forum. Why are you constantly posting on the Idaho threads when you're a UTard? IDBulls is 100% correct, yes there are decent outfitters with quality bulls, but not the caliber of an expensive UT tag or many others available.

>You?ll have to excuse IDbulls. His
>dissdain for NR?s or anyone
>that worked to afford themselves
>opportunities is just par for
>the course. His comments are
>a defensive impulse.

No need to excus my response as defensive. I don't have disdain for anyone, but to come onto a message board and essentially say ?I have done no research, have loads of money, and want to buy a big ol Idaho bull...where should I go?? Kind of lazy and typical of entitled non-residents. Buy an OTC and freaking earn it. Idaho doesn't have the buy to hunt opportunities that other states have, especially Utah.
You can hire a guide and there are tags set aside for outfitter clients, but they are random draw and in no way guarantee a 350+ trophy. Again, a simple 5 minutes of research would have made that evident. You can't simply get a tag by throwing the most money at it.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-22-18 AT 11:31PM (MST)[p]A lot of assumptions there idbulls. But I am flattered you assume I have piles of money. I sure hope to one day.

For the sake of your tender feelings, 99% of all hunting I've ever done is DIY, but I've been fortunate enough to go on a couple of guided hunts.

As was stated earlier, I'm looking to hunt with an outfitter that gives a "chance" to hunt big bulls. If you can't be helpful, nobody needs to hear from you.

No tender feelings here. I was being helpful. You sounded like a high fence ?hunter.? When you said you weren't that type, I suggested Utah or some place similar where you the quality of bull is directly proportional to the $$$ you spend. You are the one who said the size of budget wasn?t an issue for you. Like I said earlier, the outfitter allocation tags are random draw, albeit with better odds than the normal draw. You cannot simply outbid others though. The dates you want to hunt, with a rifle, and that caliber of bull...not as easy as asking where to plop down the dough.

I'm not anti NR, anti Outfitter, or anti spending your hard earned coin and I would say that I am unaware of any outfitted hunts in ID that are more than opportunity hunts. States like Utah and some others have some ranch hunts that do offer this. Other states have bigger bull opportunities if you have enough points in the right units. While I'm no proponent of point systems for idaho and please please let's not hijack this thread, I do see this as one disadvantage for this state.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from Idaho, but I think there aren't any outfitted hunts in Idaho with general expectations for 320+.

I do think there may be some landowners willing to sell access that may provide better opportunity, maybe even with a tag, but since selling landowner tags are illegal you won't find that advertised or on a forum like this.

I am very anti high fence, just clarifying!

I did talk to a guide about Mt Goat tag I had, White Clouds Outfitters, who was great to talk with, a real straight shooter, and has an amazing reputation. You should call Mike and tell him what your hope is. I think he'll give you good advice.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-23-18 AT 10:17AM (MST)[p]The information you're getting, though IDbulls didn't represent himself well, is correct. Idaho is not your state.

Wyoming has some possibilities, but if you want to be able to hunt sooner than later just call Randy Pixler with Black Timber Outfitters in Utah. He mainly hunts around the San Juan and does a great job. Monster bulls and rifle in September.

EDIT... NM has some landowner tags available too, many of which are guided. They won't have the likelihood of a top end bull like BTO though. PS. The price will reflect that.

Grizzly

-----------------------------------------
"This is a classic case of a handful of greedy fly fishermen getting too greedy." -Don Peay, Founder of SFW, as told to KUTV

"It's time to revisit the widely accepted principle in the United States and Canada that game is a public resource."
-Don Peay, Founder of SFW, as quoted in Anchorage Daily News

Some good advice above. Some guys above also appear jealous, which is never a good look.

Personally, I wouldn't spend one, two or three months salary on a guided elk hunt in ID. I'd look at WY, UT or NM.

Don't get me wrong, for the chance at quality animals with an OTC tag, Idaho is one of the few states I would look at, though. If that makes sense.

I'm not sure why you've targeted ID either. I agree with most of the advice given already. I've hunted elk in every western state and ID would be nearly last on my list for quality. Either you're looking for a fun elk hunt or you're looking for a quality bull. Some places have both but your odds are steep in ID. If money is no object, UT or even NV landowner tags are your best bet. NM, as someone mentioned, is a pretty good choice as well. But, ID for a GOOD chance at a quality bull would not be in my list of top choices. Why have you chosen Idaho??

LAST EDITED ON Dec-24-18 AT 01:20PM (MST)[p]With a healthy budget I sure as heck wouldn't be looking to hunt here. I'd be looking for a land owner tag in Nevada or Utah.

Jealous? Defensive? Disdain? I spoke the truth. These message boards are fun and can be informative, but the shear number of people seeking information with no research, just being lazy, is astounding. ?Where should I go to get a 320+ bull that I can purchase with my healthy budget?? (Thereby bypassing steep draw odds or OTC areas) is right up there with ?I drew a great tag, but have never been in that area. Where can I go to find a trophy??
Why would you #1 broadcast your ignorance
and #2 act surprised if it gets annoying to those who live, work, hunt, and call this place home (speaking of Idaho in this instance)?
I am not against NR hunters. Have met many in the field who do it right. Seems like there is more now than ever coming to Idaho, but that is a different discussion. I do however dislike the attitude that if I have more $$ than someone else then it entitled me to a bigger animal. There are states who manage that way. Thank God Idaho isn't one of them, yet anyways.

Thanks to all those that have been helpful and to those who have sent helpful PM's.

I'm interested in Idaho after having done research around season dates and seeing there are some hunts that start in September and early October that can be hunted with a rifle. I had already talked to a couple of Outfitters prior to this post and wanted to get others opinions. Namely those who are familiar with Idaho.

Most have been great! Some are assumptive and childish and that's ok too.

After having saved up for a few years, I want to make sure my dollars will be well spent, so I will keep doing my homework and make the best decision I can.

Thanks,

copple2

Copple, you have an entitled attitude and want to push back on any slight. Good luck finding a bull of that size on an early rifle hunt. Look at the outfitter pages and see how often they tag those bulls--in the Idaho wilderness they're all excited about a 300" bull. Poor habitat and genetics and an early rifle hunt is a baaaad mix.

As stated, you're better off in surrounding states.

LOL. Now, I'm leaning toward siding with idhikker and IDbulls after your last reply, copple. If what you claim is true and you did your research, then you should know that UT actually has your best options when it comes to using a rifle in Sept as the landowner tags there are not weapon-specific. Therefore, you can hunt with a rifle anytime the season is open in Sept. Wouldn't we all love to be able to kill a 350+ bull with any outfitter for 5K? Either you have the budget for 350+ bull or you don't but don't expect to think that every guy like you can go to a state like ID and kill a 350 just because they have some early rifle hunts. Don't you think IDF&G has those early rifle hunts for a reason? Of course they do. IT's because they're tough hunts with low success and not because they're trying to get guys with money burning a hole in their pocket looking to thin the herd of 350 bulls.

copple2,

If any outfitter in Idaho were to offer me a gaurenteed rut rifle tag that they could provide a 350+ bull on I would be very skeptical. Even if you get lucky and draw a good tag in Idaho I would be very skeptical of any outfitter that told you they would defiantly get you a shot opportunity at a 350" bull. Idaho F&G just doesn't manage for old bulls. Even though some of the guys posting on here might seem like pricks, you should be very thankful for their advice because spending 20K on a hunt and feeling taken advantage of by an outfitter would be much worse.

If you want a real western hunting experience, you should look into some wilderness elk hunts in either the Frank or Selway. I believe there are still rifle hunts during the rut in each wilderness.

There are great bulls in both the Frank and Selway, but if you are judging only by inches of antler, you would probably be disappointed. I consider a great bull an animal that's seen five winters.

>Jealous? Defensive? Disdain? I spoke the
>truth. These message boards are
>fun and can be informative,
>but the shear number of
>people seeking information with no
>research, just being lazy, is
>astounding. ?Where should I go
>to get a 320+ bull
>that I can purchase with
>my healthy budget?? (Thereby bypassing
>steep draw odds or OTC
>areas) is right up there
>with ?I drew a great
>tag, but have never been
>in that area. Where can
>I go to find a
>trophy??

> I do however
>dislike the attitude that if
>I have more $$ than
>someone else then it entitled
>me to a bigger animal.

He literally said none of that.

Well flatlander, your name pretty much sums up you as an elk hunter. If you had a name regarding reading comprehension it would be ?knucklehead?.

Idbulls is speaking the truth but it's just a bit hard for these pompous MMers to swallow. Idaho isn't for trophy collectors. Take your cash elsewhere as it isn't needed here. When you're at a point of life where you want someone to do all the homework for you and you show up to pull the trigger... Idaho has too much class for you and simply doesn't cater to such ?hunting?.

Keep it up Idbulls!

Not sure why people can't just be helpful and answer the actual question, or do not not respond if they don't want to be helpful. I grew up with a guy that guides out of Salmon. (Castle creek outfitters) I have no idea of the quality of bulls around where he guides.

>Not sure why people can't just
>be helpful and answer the
>actual question, or do not
>not respond if they don't
>want to be helpful. I
>grew up with a guy
>that guides out of Salmon.
>(Castle creek outfitters) I have
>no idea of the quality
>of bulls around where he
>guides.

Lmao!!
Thank goodness you showed up to be ?helpful? and ?answer the actual question?!!

>He literally said none of that.
>

+1

+1

+1

You guys are absurd. Physically and literally scroll back up and read. He said none of those things. Here are each of copple2's posts in this thread.

1). "I'd be looking more for a big boy elk hunt vs just any bull. I've been lucky enough to harvest a good handful of 280-310 type bulls and would love a chance at a big'un."

2). "If you are referring to the high fence operation,that's not for me."

IDBulls with a smarta** response:

>Then you are better off buying
>a Utah bulll with your
>healthy budget. They cater to
>people with $$ more so
>than Idaho does

Copple2:

3). "Thanks for being so helpful..."

4). "A lot of assumptions there idbulls. But I am flattered you assume I have piles of money. I sure hope to one day.

For the sake of your tender feelings, 99% of all hunting I've ever done is DIY, but I've been fortunate enough to go on a couple of guided hunts.

As was stated earlier, I'm looking to hunt with an outfitter that gives a "chance" to hunt big bulls. If you can't be helpful, nobody needs to hear from you."

5). "Thanks to all those that have been helpful and to those who have sent helpful PM's.

I'm interested in Idaho after having done research around season dates and seeing there are some hunts that start in September and early October that can be hunted with a rifle. I had already talked to a couple of Outfitters prior to this post and wanted to get others opinions. Namely those who are familiar with Idaho.

Most have been great! Some are assumptive and childish and that's ok too.

After having saved up for a few years, I want to make sure my dollars will be well spent, so I will keep doing my homework and make the best decision I can."

That's it. Those are all 5 of copple2's posts in this thread. You guys are delusional.

To me, the OP sounds like a regular dude that hunts DIY OTC 99% of the time and saves his pennies so he can afford 2 or 3 guided hunts in his lifetime. So be it, there is NOTHING wrong with that.

Like I mentioned above, jealousy is a female trait.

Thanks for your perspective, Tw. I read it differently but I think real highly of you so I will look at it another way. This did get off the rails, sorry for my contribution.

I tried responding to this the other day but was having issues with my login. The way I read this was the guy got upset when people gave him a dose of reality. He?s asking for a hunt with a ?good chance? at a 320? bull in Idaho, I don't think there is an OTC tag available in Idaho that offers a good chance, can it happen? Sure, but odds are not great. So I saw people suggesting other states where his money may be better spent if he truly wants a shot at a 320+ bull

His posts #3 and #4, which I copy and pasted above for you guys, were responses to jealous and smarta** comments from IDBulls.

Copple's posts #1, #2 and #5 don't appear offensive to me...

The only posts in this thread with tude were made by IDBulls. Scroll back up and read them.

I've never even met this copple2 guy, I've never even exchanged a PM with him. But you guys are ridiculous and make it so people don't ever come back or don't share cool stuff like hunt stories/photos.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-16-19 AT 08:30AM (MST)[p]Deadline Outfitters...Hoby is the owner give him a call...you'll have to get on his list for an outfitter tag...believe he only gets one a year...pricey but they kill up to 400+ bulls there on public. Best outfitter I've ever had the pleasure of hunting with. I'd take his one hunt over any hunt in Utah, especially if size matters.

Just got back from Buck?s and bulls competition banquet, what a great event the town of Twin Falls puts on . I would really like to thank all the sponsors that make this happen, to me it is the best banquet out of 100?s I have been to. 3rd place rifle bull 385 4/8, 2nd place 392 6/8, 1st place 394.Achery Elk 3rd place 362 2/8, 2nd place 373 5/8, 1st place 374 6/8. Let's get into youth elk, 3rd place 338 5/8, 2nd place 342 4/8 and 1st place 349 3/8. Why don't you show us how much better Wyoming, Utah, Arizona and Nevada are. In my option Idaho is holding it's own on big bulls. I also know some hardcore guides that work for different outfitters, PM if interested

And how many of those bulls were killed in difficult to draw units?? No question every state in the west kills some big bulls every year. But, as a general rule, ID is not up toward the top of the list for bigger quality bulls, proportionally, compared to other states like UT, NV, and AZ. Hell, I can even show you some awesome bulls that were killed in CA this year but that doesn't mean anyone with any common sense would steer this guy toward CA for a chance at a big bull.

>I'd be looking more for a
>big boy elk hunt vs
>just any bull.
>
>I've been lucky enough to harvest
>a good handful of 280-310
>type bulls and would love
>a chance at a big'un.
>

Deadline ridge outfitters in unit 54. You will shoot a giant. Great dude too.

I'd bet these banquets in UT, AZ and NV go something like this.

3rd Place - 390
2nd Place - 405
1st Place - 408

That 20" of difference between our top end bulls and their top end bulls is the hardest part. Kind of like getting from 90 yards to inside 50 yards with your bow.

It's hard to compete with their management plans and their climate, especially AZ & NM. Can't change the climate. I still far prefer our system!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom