elk planning

beech18

For those who are up to speed on Arizona draws/units. Im thinking this year might be the year to get serious about trying to burn my elk points in AZ. Ive got 12 total points going into this years draw. Thinking a late hunt might be the best option for me?
Ive never hunted Arizona before, any suggestions on units I should be checking into considering the points I have?
Ive got 12 deer, 11 antelope, 17 sheep points as well for Arizona, but Im not planning on trying to draw any of those out unless I get extremely lucky this year.

I think that with 12 points you would be able to pull a better option than a late tag. Maybe I'm wrong, and hopefully others will chime in here, but I think you should have a better option with that many points.

}}-SLIVER-->

Most "better" hunts for early archery/muzzy/rifle hit the 10% cap in the bonus round. Print out the bonus draw odds, then deduct the NR tags starting at the max pool and you'll see a worst case scenario where the NR tags get filled. You can't always look at the "break" where the allotted tags go from 100% to 80% then back to 100% because there are 2nd choice guys that drew their 1st choice.
In 30 minutes you'll have a list of hunts that you should/can draw. You have waaay to many points for a late tag.

Archery you have a few really good options, IMO. Unit 1, 27, 7W, and 8 all have quality bulls and you have enough points to draw and hunt them in the rut. Not sure about rifle hunts.....others can probably chime in on that.

BOHNTR )))---------->

IMO. You will be very disappointed with a late rifle tag. Not even close to worth burning that many points on. Buy a bow and put in for an archery tag. You won't regret it.

>LAST EDITED ON Dec-20-13
>AT 03:10?AM (MST)

>
>I just hunted 1 and if
>I could get a tag
>tomorrow i'd hunt 27.

Why 27 over 1? I read your hunt report, and my recollection was you had a pretty good hunt. Did you spend some time in 27 recently?

LAST EDITED ON Dec-20-13 AT 11:20AM (MST)[p]I did have a fun time, no regrets. I would hunt 27 because I could get away from people easier.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-20-13 AT 09:49PM (MST)[p]Rifle or Muzzy not a chance in a good unit without another 5 points because of the non-resident 10% cap. You can hunt the units these guys are telling you archery though. I don't think You'll be disappointed either. Good luck and post pics and story when your tagged out.

Here is my 02, IF you are a NR.

You are not going to live long enough to get into a position where you'll draw any kind of early rut tag for either rifle or muzzleloader!

Just check the stats, you'll see what BOB is talking about.

You can apply and draw a Unit 10 late rifle tag, but that is going to be a boom or bust hunt.

Remember the AZ G&F Dept. will tell you right up front that late gun hunts aren't by design, TROPHY hunts. Those are management hunts with the idea of removing elk, especially younger bulls, out of the herd.

Check out the pictures on this site of the young lady who smoked that 350 7 X 6 in Unit 10!

That is NOT the norm for those late hunts, but what a beautiful bull she got and that is her first bull ever!!

Most of the big bulls are broken up by the time that hunt rolls around, but there are always exceptions. And Laci sure did get one of those exceptions!

I talked to an unhappy hunter from Las Vegas a few weeks ago who hunted with his son with a "Big Name" outfitter this year on a late rifle hunt in Unit 10. He said they was very disappointed in the results of that hunt.

He said he saw just one mature bull and he was busted up.

Said the outfitter told him they had 9 clients this year on late hunts in various units and only 1 had even tagged out!

So.....

At this point you can roll the dice and hope you are one of those who gets lucky and see a big bull that isn't all busted up.

Best bet though is if you're an archer.

You are hunting close or in the rut and that's when a lot of big bulls get whacked in AZ!

Bottom line, you aren't gonna make into an early rut rifle/muzzleloader hunt.

So either go stick and string in September OR hope it works out on the late hunt.

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

The odds of drawing a trophy rut hunt as a non resident are really poor but not impossible. My little brother drew unit 27 early muzzleloader bull this year with 8 points.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom