elk question

marley

Very Active Member
I have a friend with 23 nonresident points that he is wanting to cash in for an elk hunt in Utah. He is willing to hunt with any weapon and willing to hire a guide to make the most of his hunt. He is hoping for something 350+ as he's killed 350 in the past. He's a hard hunter and in good shape. He's asking me about these units and hunts

-Filmore Pahvant archery
-Monroe archery
-Manti muzzleloader
-Fishlake muzzleloader

I'm recommending Filmore archery guided but only from what I've heard. What are your thoughts on unit and what guide for the unit you recommend?

Pahvant or Monroe archery are best bet for a 350+ bull if only considering those 4 units and hunts, IMO. Bulls that size are not as common any more on those units (or any units for that matter with possible exception of Beaver, Boulder, and San Juan).

I hunted the Pahvant on the muzzy hunt in 2020 and scouted like crazy leading up to the hunt. I only saw 3 bulls in all of that time that were for sure 360+. Lots of bulls in that 315-340 range though. This year could be a good one for antler growth.

Pahvant is more rugged/steep country than Monroe (though not by much), but sounds like he is in good shape and hunts hard, so that shouldn't be an obstacle. For either the Pahvant or Monroe, I would probably first talk with Mossback, Shane Scott Outfitting, and possibly High Top Outfitters.

I’d be doing Beaver, boulder, Dutton, panquitch lake or sw desert muzzleloader or early rifle. Great guides in all those units and 350+ is very doable
Thanks for responding. I know those units would be better choices but he doesn’t have the points to guarantee a tag in any of those units or there isn’t a bonus tag. The four I listed are the tags he would be guaranteed or have a really high chance for.

elkhunter is right about bull size marley. Utah doesn't hold the giant bulls of the past. I hunted the SJ on the early rifle two years ago and in a week of hunting, I only saw two 350 bulls and nothing bigger.
Any of those units would be a fun hunt, but he may want to crank down his size expectations in Utah, for what that's worth.

Of the 4 you listed I’d go with manti muzzleloader. Lots of bulls to sort thru and always potential for a great bull on that unit
Muzzy hunt usually has the best rut dates

Fish lake was a disaster last year ! With someone on max points I don't think it should even be on the list. Beaver, Dutton, Boulder. San Juan and Monroe still seem to be producing some good bulls. But nothing like it was in the past. Just draw a good unit and have a enjoyable hunt !! Maybe think early rifle for a great rut type hunt.

A 350 bull on any of the hunts listed is a pretty tall order anymore.
I agree with Big John and would scratch Fishlake off the list for sure. Those other three listed, it’s possible but there’s no guarantee to even see a bull of his size expectations.

Nebo or manti with Alpha. South cache with mossback, and don’t sleep on north slope 3 corners, but not sure who outfits it.

Any northern unit is gonna be a gamble this year, but I think it’s a good gamble.

Nebo or manti with Alpha. South cache with mossback, and don’t sleep on north slope 3 corners, but not sure who outfits it.

Any northern unit is gonna be a gamble this year, but I think it’s a good gamble.
What about Wasatch premium with you?!

That Multi-Season hunt on the Wasatch would mean being able to hunt the entire rut, Archery to Muzzleloader... But it doesn't sound like he's about the experience as much as the tape... 😬

I've watched about 20 videos on YouTube this week that are all on Fishlake over the past few seasons. Not sure if any of the bulls went 350+, though thats just Youtube...

Good luck helping your buddy! 23 years is a looooong time to wait for anything. 😃

I’m sitting on 24 non res points and am in the same boat. Thinking of cashing them in this year if possible. I’m far more interested in the experience than inches however. Looking at one of the mid season hunts or possibly a muzzy hunt. Getting close to decision time.

I’m sitting on 24 non res points and am in the same boat. Thinking of cashing them in this year if possible. I’m far more interested in the experience than inches however. Looking at one of the mid season hunts or possibly a muzzy hunt. Getting close to decision time.
What midseason or muzzy hunts can you draw with your NR points?

Tough to know for sure what the draw odds may be with the more restrictive changes in the muzzleloader regs…. but I was looking at the Manti, SE Desert, or San Juan muzzy hunts. Probably could add the Beaver, Nebo, and Panguitch to the list if I go mid season.

Tough to know for sure what the draw odds may be with the more restrictive changes in the muzzleloader regs…. but I was looking at the Manti, SE Desert, or San Juan muzzy hunts. Probably could add the Beaver, Nebo, and Panguitch to the list if I go mid season.
I would take the Beaver mid-season rifle tag over all units every day and twice on Sundays if it were me.

The mid season hunts would sure look a lot more attractive if they didn’t overlap with the thousands of spike hunters out on the mountain at the same time.

The mid season hunts would sure look a lot more attractive if they didn’t overlap with the thousands of spike hunters out on the mountain at the same time.
100% true and a reality on the mid-season hunts. My son had a mid-season tag on the Wasatch last year and it was a zoo for sure.

That being said, if you have the points and can hunt the Beaver unit now (on any hunt), I would get on it quick. The unit is large and getting away from other hunters is possible if you are willing to work. You won't find a unit currently that has better quality of bulls. The bull to cow ratio on this unit right now is absurd (and actually causing some issues with productivity that are starting to impact the herd adversely).

100% true and a reality on the mid-season hunts. My son had a mid-season tag on the Wasatch last year and it was a zoo for sure.

That being said, if you have the points and can hunt the Beaver unit now (on any hunt), I would get on it quick. The unit is large and getting away from other hunters is possible if you are willing to work. You won't find a unit currently that has better quality of bulls. The bull to cow ratio on this unit right now is absurd (and actually causing some issues with productivity that are starting to impact the herd adversely).
Also consider that most of the spike hunters will most likely be weekend warriors, by Tuesday the crowds will have died down significantly.

Off one of the units mentioned, 350+ is always doable. Need some luck though..

20240419_195959.jpg

I had the Fishlake early rifle last year, I didn't see anything over 310 and the biggest one taken that I know of was a 360-type bull that would net far less.

23 points won't get you what it used to with the way they screwed the seasons up. very few point pool tags left.

Last edited:
Hey BEAVIS?

Just A Few years Ago It wasn't A Tall Order?

Can you SPLAIN That For Them?

It’s a tall order. I’d give him everything time wise we could. I feel confident we’d see a bull or 3 like that but getting them killed is tough.

If he wants to chat have him reach out 435-671-3024

Kinda Funny How You Guys Put A PERTY GOOD Smack-Down On Quite A Few Nice Bulls Just A Few Years Back Compared To Recent Years!

At no point in time has it ever been not a tall order.

350”+ on any unit in this state at any point in time has always been the exception not the rule.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom