Elk Rut advice

LAST EDITED ON Aug-15-16 AT 05:49PM (MST)[p]I have my first elk hunt in New Mexico starting October 5th. Could anybody give me any information or advice on when the peak of the rut has been in the last few years? Ill be in unit 13.
Thank you

LAST EDITED ON Aug-15-16 AT 03:27PM (MST)[p]Well, I think it's relative to the area in New Mexico, but in 2014 in the Gila unit I was hunting the rut was between the 2nd week of the 1st season through the 2nd weak of the 2nd season. Last year... if you had a muzzleloader tag you were hunting the rut. Just my $.02.

I do have a muzzleloader tag, Oct. 5th through the 9th. Im from Arizona, so Im just trying to understand what you mean, are you able to give me dates on when you think the rut was? Thank you for the response.

Starts early Sept to last week of Sept, they are still bugling good 1st week of Oct in alot of places but not all day deal just early and late. Last time I hunt NM they started really good(bugling alot in during the day) about 14th of Sept, before that only time bugles was heard was early morning and just before dark and some all times during the night long.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

LAST EDITED ON Aug-15-16 AT 04:11PM (MST)[p]Peak is usually last week of Sept. thru 1st week of Oct. in SW NM in my opine.
You should be hearing some bugles,but not much in daylight.
I have heard bulls bugle in Aug & Nov.

The rut is something that is totally dependent on area and when the cows go into estrus. Like stated above, generally (this term is used very loosely) you can usually count on the bulls being pretty active in late September and into early October. Bugles will definitely be heard in early Sept. but how responsive they will be to cows and other bugles will typically be greater towards the end of the month. With that said......I have hunted mid/late Sept. and never heard a peep from bulls......and they have still been running together.

thank you all for the replies. I agree it has to do with a lot of different things. Cows fat %, mature bulls in the area, other cows around going into estrus, autumn equinox, etc. I will be hunting south of grants, on the map it looks like its averaging around 6,400 feet in elevation. I will be there 5 days prior to opening day and plan on doing as much scouting as possible. If anybody else has hunted around there the last few seasons and have any other information on timing of the rut, or how their hunt went, I'd love to hear about it. Thank you!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-15-16 AT 05:50PM (MST)[p]my experiences have been similar to what is described above. It can vary greatly year to year, with no real way of knowing when the peak will be until it has already passed. I am curious about unit 34 though. What is the muzzleloader season like there? Anyone had any luck calling bulls in, or is spot and stalk/setting up a blind more productive?

negative, I live in Az and wont be able to make it over there until a week before the hunt to start scouting.

>By any chance 060785 would you
>have been cruising a white
>power wagon 3-4 weeks ago?
>

Do you mean October 15-19? Unit 13 doesn't have a muzzleloader hunt from the 5-9th. If it does I want to know how I can hunt that season!! ? The youth hunt has the best dates from the 8-12th in my opinion. I think the dates used to be much better for rut activity before they moved them back a week a couple years ago.

060785 shoot me a pm...I live in grants and hunt 13 a lot and have taken a few good bulls there and have helped out a bunch in that unit. I can give you a few pointers.

It's on Acoma...

>Do you mean October 15-19? Unit
>13 doesn't have a muzzleloader
>hunt from the 5-9th. If
>it does I want to
>know how I can hunt
>that season!! ? The youth
>hunt has the best dates
>from the 8-12th in my
>opinion. I think the
>dates used to be much
>better for rut activity before
>they moved them back a
>week a couple years ago.
>

>LAST EDITED ON Aug-15-16
>AT 04:11?PM (MST)

>
>Peak is usually last week of
>Sept. thru 1st week of
>Oct. in SW NM in
>my opine.
>You should be hearing some bugles,but
>not much in daylight.
>I have heard bulls bugle in
>Aug & Nov.

+1 thank is right , first week of October is the best week.

>>LAST EDITED ON Aug-15-16
>>AT 04:11?PM (MST)

>>
>>Peak is usually last week of
>>Sept. thru 1st week of
>>Oct. in SW NM in
>>my opine.
>>You should be hearing some bugles,but
>>not much in daylight.
>>I have heard bulls bugle in
>>Aug & Nov.
>
>
>+1 thank is right , first
>week of October is the
>best week.

Geno you alive man . I saw your profile was inactivated i had hit you up . Just making sure your all GOOD?

The true peak of the rut is the last week of September/first week of October; thus no hunt during that time.

A lot of activity can be found the week before and the week after, but there can also be down times. That last week of September the bulls are just stupid vulnerable though.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-22-16 AT 07:04PM (MST)[p]Depends on the year but u will probably be catching the last part of the rut if not the end. You still have bulls bugling but bigger Bulls will start or be peeled off cows by then. Still a great hunt for youth hunters. The elk will have had a 2 week break from the last archery hunt. You will have some fun in that unit. I just saw its on the Acoma Rez. Probably the same info I just stated. Good luck!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom