let me explain. I know deer can drop antlers sometime
between Jan. 1 and april, shedding time can be largly
affected by weather conditions, strees, ect. but do the
same conditions hold true for elk, or are they more
predictable? I have a guy that will give me bits and pieces
of information about where to go, I spent 3 days in the
area and found one shed last year, but have not found the
G-Spot yet, and I know I'm within a few miles but this is
some NASTY area and I'm talking about 2-3 mile hike in.
any advice?

Thanks, NVMDF

NVMDF, i shed hunt for elk horns in nevada as well. i live in southern utah, the earlist i have ever picked up a elk shed was last year on march 14th! i believe that they are a little more predictable than muleys. they also winter alot higher than the majority of muley bucks. (big bulls that is).

where at in nevada are you from? if you dont mind me asking. thanks. wes.

Personaly, I usually don't even think about elk until the 1st of April and don't get real serious until the 1st of May. One year I saw 3 MATURE bulls packing all 6 horns (hard horns)on May 10th!

I have found fresh sheds the 1st of April. But the best shed hunting for elk antlers for me has been from April 15-May 15. I too have saw elk still packing well into May. One thing I know for sure if left alone the elk will drop-em in the open country. But it seems the past few years that the pressure to find sheds has pushed the elk into the timber prior to shedding. That makes things a lot tougher than it use to be.

Ya....One of my little hot spots was empty of any elk sign last spring. There has always been steady foot traffic and quad/pickup traffic there for years and the elk seemed to take it real well as they got used to it. I've got 9 elk antlers out of the feilds there (4 matched sets)in the past. Well all the area surrounding the ranch is being developed and recently a couple of people have been walking their doggies all over and I haven't seen any sign since. Last year was mild which may have had something to do with the disappearance....this year isn't so mild so I'm hoping the snow will force them back down this spring and maybe I can scoop a few more. BUT....deep down inside, I know the end is near for horns at my hot spot......

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom