Elk tag changes. Read um and ???

Once again, Utah sticks it to the non-resident. Ever since SFW got involved, it has been nearly impossible to draw a premium tag for the early any weapon period. I may have to settle for a mid-tier unit as a result. Random draw does not cut it for the premium units.

Once again, Utah sticks it to the non-resident. Ever since SFW got involved, it has been nearly impossible to draw a premium tag for the early any weapon period. I may have to settle for a mid-tier unit as a result. Random draw does not cut it for the premium units.
Some of those "mid-tier" units are producing better than the historic top tier units. No unit is kicking bulls out a whole lot better than the next now days. Find one you can draw and go hunt it. SFW isn't doing anybody any favors I'm in agreeance with you there!

Nonresidents still get 10% of the tags as you have for the past 30+ years. You are not 'hard done to'. You share in the tag allocations and seasons as us residents. Quit your bitchin and go huntin if you have the points. The mid season hunts are gonna be 60-70%+ harvest rates, tell me a state where their harvest rates are that high? Utah has world class elk hunting and you are bitchin about it. Feckin A, buddy cry me a river

That's not what he's talking about. it that those of us with a good number of points have very little to apply for with bonus tags. there are 500 hunts now with 1 tag so we're out of the bonus pool . they should have made fewer options with more tags on the ones there are so we could burn our points.

If you look at the total tag numbers N.R.'s tags were increased in most units. Now the guys with 25 points or more thinking they'd be assured a bonus tag on an ER hunt in an upper tier elk unit shortly are gonna have to rethink their plans. I can understand their disappointment.

The only unit I don't quite understand is Beaver. Non res tags did not increase at all. It's my understanding the bull to cow ratio is pretty heavy towards the bulls and the age bracket is a fair bit above the new age objective. However the new tag numbers do put the N.R. tags at 10% of the resident tags so maybe that was part of the goal.

There are similar problems for residents, where there are no bonus permits for some of the multi season hunts or OIL hunts. I wish they would alternate those between bonus permit and random permit on even and odd years or something like that.

I’ll join the whiny bitching NR crowd. I now have 22 points and have been holding out for the hunt I’ve always wanted, Early Rifle. In the last several years I’ve seen them tag tags away for the expo and then add a middle hunt that also took tags from the Early hunt. Every time I feel like I’m getting close, they change something that again lowers my chances. Then this year they cut the season in half and are now recommending a 57% reduction on tags for the Early hunt and piling them into the middle hunt that is the same time as Spike hunt. I have decided to apply for the Muzzleloader hunt as now my 2-3 window for early looks like 7-8 or probably more since it will more than likely change again before I get into max points. It has nothing to do with the ratio of how many tags the NR get to Residents as it does the fact that the hunt I’ve always wanted has been drastically reduced time wise and tag wise. I do understand that time changes things and that was a chance I took waiting for a specific tag. Therefore, I will apply for a Muzzleloader tag I probably could have drawn 4 years ago and hope the odds for that don’t sky rocket this year. I will hunt for a 350 Bull hopefully keeping in mind to have fun on a great unit in a great state and if I bring home a 320 Bull and get to experience it with friends and family then hell yeah. Then I’m done with the game in Utah for elk. I hope I finally draw as this will be my first and last elk tag in Utah. Good luck to all in the draw and Thanks for letting me rant!?

Rant away all you guys want. It’s frustrating when things change. The theme across the west is stick it to the NR. Wyoming has made significant changes to the OIL species and that has had similar results to the NR waiting in line.

For those of you waiting for the very top units - as mentioned above - you can get some very good hunts in the lower tier units. Make some adjustments to your plans and good luck in the draws!

Call me crazy I would rather have a 12-day hunt then the 5-day early
I agree more than I disagree but if you look at the stats kept on all the limited entry units most all the early rifle tags for early hunts were filled in less than 5 days. There are a few exceptions but not many. The shorter season will have little effect on success rates. It's just getting this tag now. Low point N.R. applicants could and should be happy. High point guys not so much. In a shorter season weather could be a factor but going back a few years days needed to fill a tag are pretty constant. I'm guessing the DOW looked pretty hard at this stat when setting the new season dates.

Muzzleloader averaged hunt days is less than 6 to fill a tag if you exclude the Paunsaugunt and the Bookcliffs roadless. They took 7 and 12. Include them and the average is slightly more than 6.

I too like the idea of 12 days more than eight but facts are most peoples hunts will be over in half that time. N.R.'s that choose to hire a guide familiar with the area they draw should even lower the days needed to fill their tag more.

Good luck in the draw and if you're successful you might just have the best hunt of you life. Regardless of which unit.

I don't see how any of this increases quality so I'm going to try to burn my 25 points in Utah this year. I'm never going to top the 382 bull I took in UT back in the good' ol days so it's more about a fun hunt than the score at this point anyway.

I don't see how any of this increases quality so I'm going to try to burn my 25 points in Utah this year. I'm never going to top the 382 bull I took in UT back in the good' ol days so it's more about a fun hunt than the score at this point anyway. you better hunt for 12 days if it's just about a fun hunt
You better hunt for 12 days instead of five if it's just a fun hunt

I'm a resident with 21 limited entry elk points. I'm not thrilled with the changes, but I was already losing the point creep battle. Nobody knows what the draw odds are going to look like on most units in 2023. ? ?

I think a lot of the higher bonus point early rifle elk hunters will just stick with early rifle or the multi-season hunts this year. I also think it will take two or three years to balance the application distribution for limited entry elk and start seeing predictable draw odds.

Dedicated spike hunters see big bulls almost every year, so I think those people will not hesitate to go mid-season and hunt their old stomping grounds while the rest of their family/friends scout for big bulls and hunt spikes. A person would have to be pretty desperate to go mid-season on a spike unit they are unfamiliar with and try to out work all the spike hunters. ?

I did put in for an early season rifle hunt this year and I put my 19 mountain goat points on the line. I also have my 2nd dedicated hunter permit this year and plan to get a general season elk permit.

My #1 goal for 2023 is to focus on my daughter's first year hunting. I don't think she will draw Colorado or Wyoming this year with no points, but she should pull a general season muzzleloader tag and I will get her a general season elk permit in Utah.

What most are eluding to in regard to high bonus pt holders. Every time an additional season is added it handicaps those in the high bonus pt pool. In many cases there are 0 bonus pt pool tags issued.

As an example, I have close to max bison pts and there are a gob of bison seasons but there have been years upon years with 0 bonus pool tags issued to nonres.

One solution to this would be to alternate a nonres high bonus pt tag to a different unit each year.

I understand completely where taking rifle tags out of the rut may help a few mature bulls age but it’s too bad that there will now be 1 early, 1 mid, late rifle season, archery, muzzy, and late archery that pretty much screws those with high pts.

On a positive note, more seasons stretches hunting pressure which is nice. I would also agree that those nonres with high bonus pts close to draw highest demand tags are screwed but at the same time it may help a few guys with lower pts draw if at least 1 random pool tag is offered.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom