Elk Unit

backinthegame

Ok guys, first off I'm going to say that I'm sorry, I don't like doing something like this but I figured if anyone can help me it would be the Nevada Forum. I'm looking to start accruing points for archery elk in your state, and here's my question. What unit? I know this is me being a slacker, completely. Thing is, I'm not looking for any honey holes, I'm not looking for an easy tag to draw, I'm looking for the BEST unit in your state. Like I said, I want to start building points (so maybe I can draw in the next 15 years) but like putting in for a tag, becasue hey, you never know. I'm not looking for any secrets, not by any means. I know here in Utah I'd tell someone either Pahvant or Elk Ridge. Neither are secrets, everyone knows they're the best. That's what I'm looking for. Sorry to ramble!

The units around Ely used to be top notch, but lately quality and quantity of elk have went down hill, but there are still some good bulls here, try units 111-115, 221-222 also try unit 231 in my mind 231, 241, 242 is one of the best units in the state for trophy potential. There are also some areas up around Elko which are excellent, units 076, 077, 079, 081. Those should get you off to a start anyways.
Elkguide

Thanks for the info elkguide...I was leaning towards 111-115, 221-222 just from looking at the non-resident draw odds from last year. I don't want an easy draw, I want a good tag. This looks like a tough one to get, so I figured it couldn't be that bad. Not sure if I'll get in in 15 years though! Ha, ha. Thanks again!

Just about every elk unit in the state has the potential to produce great bulls. I would agree that the Ely/Pioche areas are probably the best, but the Elko and Tonopah areas have also been producing some great bulls over the last few years. Either way, if you draw a tag, you should find a bull to make you happy. Good luck.

I dont think there is a one best area in nevada I dont think any of them offer as many huge bulls as the top utah areas so what kind of country do you like to hunt? the ely areas have some huge bulls but lots of hunters and lots of PJ [trees] to a lesser extent the areas south of there. north of wells 77 81 is a large area with plenty of roads and some walk to areas but the elk get botherd a lot and are smart. 72,74 jarbige and merritt to the east have more classic looking elk country aspen ect. with some wilderness in jarbige area. 16 has some wilderness and and a mixture of the other areas type of country

You might as well do what everyone else does and make 161-164 early your first choice. Last year, 2188 applicants made that their first choice, some had as many as 15 bonus points.....and the guy that drew had zero points!

Just about every unit has good elk hunting. Some are better than others, but I don't think there's a bad unit to be found in Nevada.

If I read your post right, you're looking for an archery hunt??? There are only 3 hunts NRs can apply for. If you don't want to do any research, just look @ draw odds on here and apply for the hardest to draw first and so on. You get 5 choices so I use all 5 every year cause a Nv elk tag is something I'm gonna cherish when I draw.

>If I read your post right,
>you're looking for an archery
>hunt??? There are only
>3 hunts NRs can apply
>for. If you don't
>want to do any research,
>just look @ draw odds
>on here and apply for
>the hardest to draw first
>and so on. You
>get 5 choices so I
>use all 5 every year
>cause a Nv elk tag
>is something I'm gonna cherish
>when I draw.

Right...looking for an archery tag, and not many units to choose from!!! I appreciate all the feedback, like I said earlier, hopefully I can pull one of these tags in the next 15 years!!!

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom