Everything but the kitchen sink

GotBowAz

Very Active Member
I had initially put this in the general forum a couple of weeks ago so some of you may have seen the first few pictures. It has been one heck of s project well worth the effort.

I have never done anything like this and there are a few things I would do differently but over all I am very pleased and very surprised with how this turned out.

I finished the project up with exception of some cleanup work and putting in the sink where the hole in the counter is. Late last night I finished putting on my last coat of gloss sealer.

I had asked opinions of weather I should stain the counter or just leave in with the cement look. Most of you voted to leave the cement look but my wife didn't care for it too much. I really didn't want to mess up the elk thinking the stain would take away from it so I compromised with her. I let my wife pick out the stain and I think she picked out a good one to bring out the colors in the tile. I cheated and kept the cement look around the elk. I think it was a good compromise, how about you?

GBA

First I had to cut the tile. I only had a regular tile saw so it took forever to get all the turns and curves done. I later found out there is a band saw with a diamond blade that can cut tile the way you want it. Oh well, live and learn. Sorry about the blury picture.
3912tiles_cut.jpg

I searched the net trying to find somethin I liked and the drawing in this picture is what I thought would turn out pretty good.
3012tile_with_drawing.jpg

Here he is finished up and hot glued in place on a wire back to act as both rebar and a way to set the whole piece in as opposed to puzzling it together in the wet concrete.
3831tile_done.jpg

3028elk_completed.jpg

A buddy of mine came over and gave me a hand in the finish work. Here we just set the elk tile in place.
1650finish_work.jpg

Here are a few pictures of how he turned out after the cement set up and before removing the bottom form boards.
4085counter_top_view.jpg

1369elk_cemented.jpg

9654elk_close_up.jpg

a couple pictures of the tile work after removing the bottom form boards.
4811counter_edge_tiled.jpg

5744tiles_done.jpg

Here the inside cabnet work stained and completed.
5783cabinets.jpg

7028front_face.jpg

362left_side.jpg

Stain finished and first coat of sealer.
3819stain,_sun.jpg

2799first_coat_sealer.jpg

8060top_tiles.jpg

I really enjoyed this project.

GBA

Wow
Eric that's a Awesome looking design, and the top turned out great. Nicely done.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Been wondering how it finished up.

VERY NICE! My wife also thinks it is awesome!.....and wants to know when you will be starting our entry hall floor?

"I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and
sh!t a better argument than that!"

Thanks Warren. It turned out a lot better than I ever thought it would. The pictures really don't do it justice. After doing this project I can see where things would have been easier and done a little cleaner. For one thing I should have done the top in sections instead of pouring one big piece. This would help to make crack lines and in weak points and I could have worked primarily on each piece and probably made the finish work on the concrete a lot nicer.

Nickman, To you and your wife thanks for the compliments. I'm thinking maybe once I get this perfected a little more I may do some entry ways and table tops when I retire, in like?12 more years! I have about $300.00 just into the materials for the top. I sure wish they sold the stain and sealer in smaller amounts. I have enough to do my driveway for crying out loud and its 80 by 20 feet long.

Here is the picture that didn't take for some reason.
9674stain_sun.jpg

GBA

GBA

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom