"Evidence of sex" question

Katoom

I have a question regarding the evidence of sex requirements in CO, from the perspective of a NR who in some circumstances can't quickly get an animal to his/her actual home. Essentially, at what point are you no longer transporting a "carcass" but allowed to reduce and process an animal into meat. For example, you kill an animal and pack out the quarters with evidence attached to one. You plan to be in camp, or even just elsewhere in CO for the next week or more and have the means and wish to process the animal yourself, vacuum seal the bags of meat and store on ice for the rest of your trip and then back home. It is clearly not feasible to keep a quarter with sex attached forever, or possibly even for the duration of your stay in CO....So what is the law here????

LAST EDITED ON Nov-22-18 AT 10:30PM (MST)[p]Straight out of the reg book, #5

88860screenshot20181122222849adobeacrobat.jpg

#livelikezac

Thanks. Duh. I have read this of course and totally missed that in #5 despite thinking I read it carefully. I kept getting hung up on "illegal to have or transport a big-game carcass...without evidence of sex naturally attached."

>Thanks. Duh. I have
>read this of course and
>totally missed that in #5
>despite thinking I read it
>carefully. I kept getting
>hung up on "illegal to
>have or transport a big-game
>carcass...without evidence of sex naturally
>attached."
>
>
>
>
>
>

Probably still a good idea to vacuum seal the unattached evidence in it's own bag just to protect yourself. I dont know your whole itinerary of your hunt. Could save ya some trouble under a quirky situation. Good luck next fall!

#livelikezac

You can also go to game and fish and get a transport affidavit if you are crossing state lines, this helps if you know you will be stopped at check stations

LAST EDITED ON Jan-02-19 AT 07:37PM (MST)[p]Just remember the cut, wrapped and FROZEN part. Not feasible to freeze meat in the field.

So if you want to process in camp, I would leave evidence of sex attached to something

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

You can also get your Deer tag validated and then process the meat. Once it is validated you are in the clear. Also meat processers are obligated to report your kill to the state when processing it.

This is the case in most states I believe

Now how about for "transporting the pieces together", I mean, it MAY have taken me two separate trips up the hill. But then again, maybe I did it in one trip and had it all in there together. Who can remember such things. Thankfully it is all now cut wrapped and FROZEN at home.

Just leave the evidence of sex attached to the large muscle piece on the hind and wrap it with the evidence of sex separated in a bag but still attached.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom