exotics

r270

With the hunting seasons coming to a close, what is your take on hunting exotics in the off season?I would imagine that they all would be high fence so that is still a tough one for me but there are alot of affordable pig and sheep hunts that could be used to keep the bow skills in check.Any thoughts???

I try to head to TX every spring to try to break up the off season a bit. I hunt a ranch that is not fenced in the hill country for pigs but the occasional aoudad, sika, and axis deer come through that we have taken in the past. Best part about it......FREE!!!

Here's an free roaming aoudad I shot a couple years ago. I was looking through the scrub for pigs and found this. My friend shot a really nice Sika that year too.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/5015dscn3784_-_copy_(2).jpg

Sorry try this again.

6153aoudad.jpg

FREE would be the best part . I have been interested in hunting exoctics for a while . I have just never found a good enough deal

I could really careless about hunting exotics. But with that said if money were no issue it might beat sitting around the house. So if you got the $$ and the time go for it. I myself just would not spend my limited hunting funds on an exotic.

Go hunt native game in a couple months in Africa, you won't regret it. Not as expensive as some exotics on Texas ranches.

I will admit that hunting exotics isn't even in the same league as muleys or elk but what else is there to hunt in the spring besides turkeys? For me, it is a relaxing time out with my friends. It's more like a vacation than a hunt. I don't get too serious about it and I think that makes it more fun. Kinda like golf!

There are several low fence areas in Texas,one even has a special archery only blackbuck hunt in the spring. I will try to find the one I was going to take my daughter to but changed plans so I would like to see someone get to use my 200.00 deposit.they said I could apply to anyone

LAST EDITED ON Jan-19-11 AT 08:56PM (MST)[p]I try to keep the pigs thinned out on my place in Texas.

Here's a few of the ones killed this year by me and my friends.

One of the biggest pigs I've ever shot.
pig2_pic.jpg

My friend Mike with his first pig ever.
mike_piggie1.jpg

First pig with my new AR-15.
piggie_cooler.jpg

I usually kill at least a half dozen pigs each year but have killed as many as a dozen in a year before. Doesn't even put a dent in the population.

I try to shoot as many coyotes as possible too!
coyote_ar15.jpg

I would love to shoot an aoudad some day, but haven't found a place to hunt them free range yet for a decent price. Don't see them on my place.

my thoughts on the whole thing would be to find a place that i could take the kids to shoot a pig or two and i could get some shooting with my bow at somthing a bit larger ...somthing like a texas dall sheep or whatever at a low price
I know there are places out there. Are all these pigs that are being killed good to eat??

r270, I don't know what state your in but Arizona has an over the counter archery mule deer tag that is open in Janurary. (Not sure about all the particulars, somebody help me out) They also have havelina hunts but I think they are draw only tags. fatrooster.

OK my prospective is this.... exotics is not huntimg. This is farmed or planted game. I can live with someone that can afford it and wants to fill time and spend some money going the exotic route when it is the off season and your board...no problem....
JUST DON"T EVER CONFUSE THIS shooting exotics WITH HUNTING I knew a guy that purchased animals then planted then on a ranch for big $$$ and took idiot attorneys and such for some nice hunts .. THEY got what they deserved ..might as well have tied them to a tree but the clients were happy...what a bunch of @#$#%^&*.

If you need to hunt exotics then you sure are not getting enough out of your big game hunts. Exotics are for guys that have the money or just plain are not good enough to hunt wild game...

)))).......>

LAST EDITED ON Jan-19-11 AT 10:28PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-19-11 AT 10:25?PM (MST)

Hey trophyhunter,

Your "prospective" wasnt asked for...

r270, lots of places in Texas are low fence and exotics come and go as they please, just like native wildlife.

The sika, axis, fallow are good eating...the hogs are great eating.

I like to turn a bunch of these:

174.JPG

Into this:

194.JPG

I love to hunt and get plenty out of my Colorado elk and deer hunting...the key is love to hunt, and in january and feb in Colorado it gets pretty slow just looking for different options.

>OK my prospective is this.... exotics
>is not huntimg. This is
>farmed or planted game. I
>can live with someone that
>can afford it and wants
>to fill time and spend
>some money going the exotic
>route when it is the
>off season and your board...no
>problem....
>JUST DON"T EVER CONFUSE THIS shooting
>exotics WITH HUNTING I knew
>a guy that purchased animals
>then planted then on a
>ranch for big $$$ and
>took idiot attorneys and such
>for some nice hunts ..
>THEY got what they deserved
>..might as well have tied
>them to a tree but
>the clients were happy...what a
>bunch of @#$#%^&*.
>
>If you need to hunt exotics
>then you sure are not
>getting enough out of your
>big game hunts. Exotics are
>for guys that have the
>money or just plain are
>not good enough to hunt
>wild game...
>
>)))).......>

You've obviously never hunted exotics. There are plenty of places in Texas that are low fenced with completely wild free ranging exotics. Baker 3 in Rocksprings in just one. 13k acres of low fence scrub country that will test anybody's spot and stalk skills.
Don't knock it unless you've tried it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have
some good ideas!

I don't get to do off season hunts very often, but I did get to do a pig hunt recently. No high fences, feeders or exotics here, just pigs in some thick oak country.

IMG_0207c8X10asm.jpg

anyone that says that hunting free roaming exotics is not hunting obviously has never done it. They are just as elusive and weary as a pressured whitetail. What's more hunting.....sitting in a treestand over a food plot on 40 acres or trying to stalk free roaming aoudad on a 40,000 acre ranch?

I've never done it. Probably would try it for aoudad some day on a no fence or low fence ranch.

It would be no different than hunting a "wild" pheasant in South Dakota.

Both critters are imports and wild as hell.

Good luck,
Zeke

I think trophyhunter use to eat the lead based paint off his crib when he was little. According to him Oryx, Ibex, and Aoudad sheep are not hunting.

I would trade ANY western big game tag for a New Mexico ibex tag. I highly recommend an exotic or pig hunt in the off season. Even a high fenced hunt with some friends beats sitting at home imo.

Ive hunted twice for Axis and Black Buck on the Baker3 ranch in Texas and it is a challenge.... only shot one Nice Axis they arn't easy!

I would love to do a road trip with my old man and get some pigs. But I don't know who to contact for a free pig hunt. Everyone on the internet wants to charge you.

Who do I call?

Ibex in New Mexico may be the hardest thing I ever tried to put a stalk on. Their eyesight makes a muley look blind! The terrain they choose to inhabit is also not easy.

2nd and 3rd generation Ibex are as wild as anything in this country.

Somebody is in over their head here!

Well this was far more than I expected when I first posted but oh well so with that said for thoes of you who have hunted pigs do you have any suggestions on a place to start looking at? some place close to Colorado. Texas,oklahoma???

Im headed to Texas March 7th to hunt a ranch 30 south of San Antonio We will start at 12 noon on the 9th and end on the 12th at 12noon.... If you would like to join us drop me a private message and I can give you more details.

elk_horn I will be sending you a pm to get more details from you thanks for the offer where are you located?

If anyone wants to save 200.00 at the baker3 ranch let me know I would rather one of you gets it instead of letting my deposit goes to waste.They seemed really nice just didn't get to do the trip

>If anyone wants to save 200.00
>at the baker3 ranch let
>me know I would rather
>one of you gets it
>instead of letting my deposit
>goes to waste.They seemed really
>nice just didn't get to
>do the trip

habitat , I sent you a p.m.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-22-11 AT 02:47PM (MST)[p]I Live in Uintah Utah we are flying out on the 7th to visit my daughter In Austin then Im driving on Wednesday Morning to San Antonio to meet up with a buddy before noon at the Airport we will hunt Hogs for three days with Archery...give me a call if interested. 801-390-8827

I just did a mule deer / aoudad hunt in December northeast of Presidio Texas. The deer hunt was crappy but if you want a real hunt that will test all of your abilities as a hunter- try free range aoudad. Big country,steep terrain. We hunted an 80k acre ranch and killed 3 rams from 29 to 31 1/2". Tougher than a hobo turd hunt!

T264

>I would trade ANY western big
>game tag for a New
>Mexico ibex tag. I
>highly recommend an exotic or
>pig hunt in the off
>season. Even a high
>fenced hunt with some friends
>beats sitting at home imo.
>

You would trade a Gov muley tag in any given state to shoot something you can shoot in TX for $1500?

>>I would trade ANY western big
>>game tag for a New
>>Mexico ibex tag. I
>>highly recommend an exotic or
>>pig hunt in the off
>>season. Even a high
>>fenced hunt with some friends
>>beats sitting at home imo.
>>
>
>You would trade a Gov muley
>tag in any given state
>to shoot something you can
>shoot in TX for $1500?
>

YES, I would

Its still an animal that came from transplanted/highfence herds,and you would give up the muley hunt of a lifetime for that?You can shoot a wild one in Africa for a lot less than a Gov tag.Beaver tags are a whole other story...

Ibex are not from Africa they are from Europe and Asia. They are a free roam animal and were planted in New Mexico back in the 40's I believe. I would also second the taking a New Mexico Ibex tag over a Gov Mule deer tag. You can kill a trophy deer without a Gov tag. There are alot of animals in this country that are non native Pheasent and Chukar are both non native so is that considerd an exotic hunt. There is nothing wrong with exotic hunts or high fenced huntd people just need to take them for what they are.

>Its still an animal that came
>from transplanted/highfence herds,and you would
>give up the muley hunt
>of a lifetime for that?You
>can shoot a wild one
>in Africa for a lot
>less than a Gov tag.Beaver
>tags are a whole other
>story...

That really shows how much you know about this subject. You should do some research on Ibex before you spout off. They Are NOT in Africa. They are some of the COOLEST animals on the planet and I would ABSOLUTELY love to go hunt an Ibex. I have not done a lot of research on the herd in New Mexico, but I have done some on the Asian Ibex. There are LOTS of different species ranging from Europe and Asia all the way to Spain. They are one of the Toughest animals in the world to hunt because of the range they inhabit....Just look at them...they are AWESOME!

ron_pakistan_ibex.jpg

Capra_ibex_ibex__03.jpg

Sorry thought you were talking about the "wild" oryx" herd in NM,my bad.Regardless I wouldnt trade a chance at 10 of those ugly "sheep" for the muley hunt of a lifetime,especially to hunt something that was transplanted into NM.I have hunted "exotics" it was like shooting fish in a barrel,even at a very young age I knew it wasnt "hunting" and not for me.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom