Expo tags

The draw was yesterday (Tuesday), but it takes a few days to clear the winners to make sure there's no issues with their eligibility (or choice if needed). So, the list will show up Thursday or Friday.

When it does, I'll add the info to my list of winners since the Expo started doing the draw (2007) and we'll see how many repeaters we have this year.

That would be interesting to see repeat winners, so we know who to hate?
I know one name that won’t show up on any of the winner lists…

I chatted with @fstop after he interviewed the SFW and MDF guys and he sure acted like a Henry’s tag was going to find it into his pocket. Scouting trips are scheduled, so he must be feeling lucky!!! :ROFLMAO:
If he draws, don’t none of you be thinking there’s anything shady going on? It’s just the luck of the draw. ;)

I had a spring break shed hunting trip and 1 other trip planned with the family. Now we will be doing something else, we won't be hiking around the hills looking for antlers, and I'm okay with that. We will go do something else. Looks like the closure will help after all. Maybe not much, but for sure it will put less pressure on the deer. If it helps even a few deer, then I will gladly wait until May.

If fstop Pulls that Off By Getting a Tag We're Gonna Make Sure He Comes Home With Nothing But a Henrie's PISSCUTTER!

Luck Of The Draw My Ass!:D

I chatted with @fstop after he interviewed the SFW and MDF guys and he sure acted like a Henry’s tag was going to find it into his pocket. Scouting trips are scheduled, so he must be feeling lucky!!! :ROFLMAO:
If he draws, don’t none of you be thinking there’s anything shady going on? It’s just the luck of the draw. ;)

If he draws, don’t none of you be thinking there’s anything shady going on? It’s just the luck of the draw.
;)
Good work.

The draw was yesterday (Tuesday), but it takes a few days to clear the winners to make sure there's no issues with their eligibility (or choice if needed). So, the list will show up Thursday or Friday.

When it does, I'll add the info to my list of winners since the Expo started doing the draw (2007) and we'll see how many repeaters we have this year.
I will let you know what I draw this year. I believe it will be a sheep tag. I drew the first year of the Expo so I am past due!

Real question.

Will anyone admit what they got from the "ladies" at the parties Founder talked about?

Odds of a penicillin shot are better than the tags

If fstop Pulls that Off By Getting a Tag We're Gonna Make Sure He Comes Home With Nothing But a Henrie's PISSCUTTER!

Luck Of The Draw My Ass!:D
No one in my family drew.....But I was hoping to see the Eakle name on one of those damn tags! It would be worth the hating on MM that's for sure! Founder says I'm dumb for putting in. Says it would look like I'm sucking up to someone. I thought he knew me better than that? I've got too thick of skin to worry about what anyone thinks of me! :cool:. And no Founder didn't invite me to the party with the girls in the room. Although he should have!!!!

Come On f-stop!

Show Us Some Of The Back Room Brawls & Pics With The Chicks!

I Promise You I Won't Say Anything To Ms f-stop!

No one in my family drew.....But I was hoping to see the Eakle name on one of those damn tags! It would be worth the hating on MM that's for sure! Founder says I'm dumb for putting in. Says it would look like I'm sucking up to someone. I thought he knew me better than that? I've got too thick of skin to worry about what anyone thinks of me! :cool:. And no Founder didn't invite me to the party with the girls in the room. Although he should have!!!!

No, I didn’t say you were dumb, or at least I’m pretty sure I worded it differently. :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, I tried to apply myself, even walked up into that room and up to a table. They said it was all online, that’s when I decided to just save my $20. It was probably even my lucky year too! I’m probably the dumb one. I’d be headed to the Henry’s this year!

I didn’t buy a lottery ticket the last time it was over $1 billion either, and I’m certain I would’ve got that!!! :):rolleyes:

1FD16AEF-5B08-421D-A058-155CE3BC1EF8.jpeg

As near as I can determine considering nicknames, name spellings, maiden names, middle names, married names, juniors, moves, etc.

Attachments

• 2023 Expo Repeat Tag Winners.pdf
    79 KB · Views: 219
Did you notice,
Wyoming,Arizona and Alberta sure sold a lot of tags at the expo.
More than I can ever remember.

Can Somebody Figure Some Odds For Me?

A Gal In LaPoint Pulled 3 EXPO Tags The Same Year!

fstops Had His Turn It Looks Like!

Albrecht, Carl- Has Had His Turn!

Farrars have Pulled 5 EXPO Tags!

DeRoest, Joseph- has pulled 6 EXPO Tags!

Ya!

Same disclaimer! I may have got some wrong, but I'm sure I missed a lot more! Lots of matching names on the total winners list, but I couldn't realistically link them.

Wow 327 different names on that list if I counted right, and many of those have more than 2 tags.

I don't think it's being done wilfully, but what ever program they have to draw the winners is flawed.

I can't believe they have not done something to fix this. I would love it if I was one of the people named, but no way its completely random.

People that have pulled 4, 5, and 6 tags need to play the lottery. The odds of that happening have to be astronomical. The odds yearly are like sheep tag odds. Imagine drawing 5 or 6 sheep tags in 10 years. It doesn't happen.

Wow 327 different names on that list if I counted right, and many of those have more than 2 tags.

I don't think it's being done wilfully, but what ever program they have to draw the winners is flawed.

I can't believe they have not done something to fix this. I would love it if I was one of the people named, but no way its completely random.
One thing they did do was to now allow only one tag per year. That will reduce the repeats a little.

As far as the program goes, it's done by a one-man vendor operation they (DWR, SFW, MDF) insists is random.

Edited: FWIW, When RMEF applied for the contract to run the show, they wrote that they would use the same draw company that does the regular Utah draws, but since they didn't ALREADY have a contract with them, they were scored with a "0" on that part of the application. Hmmm!

Last edited:
One thing they did do was to now allow only one tag per year. That will reduce the repeats a little.

As far as the program goes, it's done by a one-man vendor operation they (DWR, SFW, MDF) insists is random.
I'm sure it's random, but if they use the exact same program every year, then it's possible to pick the same names more often??? I really don't know, but there is no way it's a coincidence. It has to be a software programming issue.

I'm in no way a computer programmer, so I don't know for sure, but man, that just seems extremely out of character to be random.

Don’t confuse the odds of “someone” hitting the lottery twice, with the odds that a particular person will hit the lottery twice. This is a very common logic/probability error. And something that statistics professors explain in depth every time some guy hits 2 big lottery payouts and some newspapers start quoting misleading long odds.

It is WAY more likely that SOMEONE will hit twice, than it is that “I” will hit twice.

As much as I disdain the SFW, Don Peay and these Hunt Expo tags, I believe this is a random draw.

But the guy hitting 6x, yes, that has gotta be a rare bird.

Don’t confuse the odds of “someone” hitting the lottery twice, with the odds that a particular person will hit the lottery twice. This is a very common logic/probability error. And something that statistics professors explain in depth every time some guy hits 2 big lottery payouts and some newspapers start quoting misleading long odds.

It is WAY more likely that SOMEONE will hit twice, than it is that “I” will hit twice.

As much as I disdain the SFW, Don Peay and these Hunt Expo tags, I believe this is a random draw.
Bingo!.....glad someone pointed that out.

It's even more rare that he drew 5 of those tags for 4 years in a row!

But those are the kind of things that can happen when it's random. Additionally, we don't know how many tags he applied for during any one year, nor do we know how many years he did it. Plus, the odds were better in the earlier years.

Is it legit? I have no way of knowing. All I know is that all that money isn't used for "Conservation", and I will continue to avoid the Expo.

It's even more rare that he drew 5 of those tags for 4 years in a row!

But those are the kind of things that can happen when it's random. Additionally, we don't know how many tags he applied for during any one year, nor do we know how many years he did it. Plus, the odds were better in the earlier years.

Is it legit? I have no way of knowing. All I know is that all that money isn't used for "Conservation", and I will continue to avoid the Expo.

Thank you for being the Don Peay watchdog on this issue and taking the time to compile this data. Please keep it coming.

That guy is definitely on an epic lucky streak.

The SFW results are public even tho their books are unfortunately private. I worry more about all the draw results that are not public data. Each agency just says "trust us", we audit the results, etc...

The yearly chucklefest.

You hand $to an org built in dishonesty, by one of the states greatest charlatan, then complain because you don't trust the draw results?

Huh?
I've not seen a single person claim they don't trust the draw result, I don't see any corruption in the results, but that doesn't mean it can't be flawed.

I trust the results, and dont think there is any shenanigans going on, but I think they need to revamp the draw system used a little as it seems to pull the same names a lot.

I've not seen a single person claim they don't trust the draw result, I don't see any corruption in the results, but that doesn't mean it can't be flawed.

I trust the results, and dont think there is any shenanigans going on, but I think they need to revamp the draw system used a little as it seems to pull the same names a lot.

You know where I am with $fw.

While they are a lot of things, Stupid ain't one of them. They already have what they want. The money, and the attendance stats. They could give a **** less who handed them either. Their clientele bought tags, they didn't play lotto.

I looked at the multiple list. I saw a name I know. Dude buys a lotto for every tag offered. Kinda increases your odds

You know where I am with $fw.

While they are a lot of things, Stupid ain't one of them. They already have what they want. The money, and the attendance stats. They could give a **** less who handed them either. Their clientele bought tags, they didn't play lotto.

I looked at the multiple list. I saw a name I know. Dude buys a lotto for every tag offered. Kinda increases your odds
6BAA9FE6-BD7A-488D-843F-F9405A53D4D6.jpeg

Ya!

Hiedi Latham Is Pissed about That One!

Edited: FWIW, When RMEF applied for the contract to run the show, they wrote that they would use the same draw company that does the regular Utah draws, but since they didn't ALREADY have a contract with them, they were scored with a "0" on that part of the application. Hmmm!

Suppose you entered PCH and someone affiliated with them won. I think anyone from the DWR, SFW or MDF that is in the high rankings of those groups are exempt from winning, yet there have been several of those that have drawn tags from those affiliations.

A couple missing form that list is Jordan Nilssen (2nd tag) and Dennis Forchic (3rd tag).
Thanks! And there may be others! I just finished the total winners list (all 121 pages) and found Jordan as I was doing it. Here's the total winners list. I'll compare them a soon as I get some ink for the printer and have some time. But if any of you want to do it, have at it. The total winners list has some lucky families in it!

Attachments

• 2007-2023 Expo Tag Winners.pdf
    749.8 KB · Views: 204
I Know A Local That Drew A Tag A Couple Years Ago & His Name Is Not Listed?
I'm sorry. I GRAMA'd most of those yearly lists from the DWR and decided to combine them alphabetically, so it could have been their error or mine. In any case, if you'll PM me the name, I'll check on it.

Are winners allowed to opt out of including their names on the EXPO winners list? The DWR now allows it for all of the other draws and even for the auctions if someone else legally represents them.

Edited: I know if I won a Sportsmans tag or the public Antelope Island buck tag, I wouldn't want to be swamped with all the offers I'd get from guides and outfitters (even if they were free) and all the internet comments, advice, phone calls, mail, etc. that goes with it. I'd opt out on the list and since I'm 81 years old, I would pick my own crew and my own time!

Last edited:
I know a guy that has drawn 2 expo tags and he is not on the list. I have drawn one against the astronomical bad odds. Only recognized one name on the list Baylee Butler who I believe is the daughter of the HUSH owner. We asked him how they draw so many tags and he said they put all the wives and kids in, for all the states etc. I guess that is how.

I know a guy that has drawn 2 expo tags and he is not on the list. I have drawn one against the astronomical bad odds. Only recognized one name on the list Baylee Butler who I believe is the daughter of the HUSH owner. We asked him how they draw so many tags and he said they put all the wives and kids in, for all the states etc. I guess that is how.
Did you have the option of withdrawing your name from the list? Or were you even asked? Or did you have to consent to having it put on the list?

Also, "I know a guy" doesn't help me figure out what happened. I need a name please! PM me and I'll try to find it.

It's not. Long time ago I was told flat out that these tags were gone before a draw. Not all of them but a select bunch. 20+ years ago. Won't name who told me. Dude had absolutely no reason to lie. And over the last 20 years he has been proven right alot of times.

I don't ever recall being given the option to have my name removed from the list. I will PM you the name.
My bad! I have him listed on both yearly lists (2014, 2015) and the total list, but somehow didn't connect them on the repeat list I posted. He's on there now! Thanks!

The reason I asked about opting out is because I'm short 1 Utah EXPO tag in 2007, 2009, 2010, 2012 and 2019 and 2 tags in 2022. In any case, there are about 12.5% repeaters every year. Is that realistic? When it comes to gambling, I guess nothing is realistic. It's just random.:giggle:

What were they saying in Pennsylvania about the election? "There was fraud, but not enough fraud to overturn it." After looking at the list, there are a few people who seem to be luckier than the rest of us, but I feel elkfromabove's list might disprove any assumptions that it's rigged. More than it is rigged anyway.

ps. I'm on the list finally, Wasatch elk tag for me this year.

Bessy,
Thanks for the PM.
I checked all of the yearly lists and didn't see his name on any of them. He may have been one of the missing tag winners that I was short when I counted them. I'll check on it further.

It's not. Long time ago I was told flat out that these tags were gone before a draw. Not all of them but a select bunch. 20+ years ago. Won't name who told me. Dude had absolutely no reason to lie. And over the last 20 years he has been proven right alot of times.
Riiight. I bet it was from the same biologist that enacted the shed closure.

Riiight. I bet it was from the same biologist that enacted the shed closure.
Again, another personal opinion regarding that biologist and the shed gathering closure.

It’s was a CYA decision. Caused because our State agency doesn’t want to expend the effort or the expense to manage by individual Unit needs. They want to make universal State wide management decisions, if not State wide that at least large block/regional decisions. The same as they do with hunter/harvest management.

I’m not saying it was wrong, I’m saying we are a large State with diverse climates. Not every unit is suffering from this years weather, but some are, hence, a State wide decision to leave it open or choose it.

I’m my mind it’s better to error on doing all they can for a tenuous State wide mule deer population…….. therefore I support it but they dang sure could do better, if they would manage by individual units.

They won’t!

Again, another personal opinion regarding that biologist and the shed gathering closure.

It’s was a CYA decision. Caused because our State agency doesn’t want to expend the effort or the expense to manage by individual Unit needs. They want to make universal State wide management decisions, if not State wide that at least large block/regional decisions. The same as they do with hunter/harvest management.

I’m not saying it was wrong, I’m saying we are a large State with diverse climates. Not every unit is suffering from this years weather, but some are, hence, a State wide decision to leave it open or choose it.

I’m my mind it’s better to error on doing all they can for a tenuous State wide mule deer population…….. therefore I support it but they dang sure could do better, if they would manage by individual units.

They won’t!
I never said a biologist closed it down. But everyone else is saying that….

They won’t!

The state realized if they closed shed hunting from mid Utah, north, there would be a flight into s Utah.

Simply asking folks to use their heads and show some common sense, they knew wouldn't work, as theyve watched how that goes every year.

Proof being, the reports from Idaho about all the Utah guys going to Idaho "to get exercise".

The reality, is the state, like every other state, knows it's an issue, and it's only getting worse, but they always error on a hands off approach.

You will see a western state shed season across the board within 5 years, guaranteed. Brought about by the same percentage of dudes who caused trail cam seasons, bait restrictions, thermal bans, etc.

Using your head, common sense, ethics, doing what's right for the resource, have gone the way of cursive writing, it's just not part of the newer generations life, so more laws)restrictions replace what older dudes just did because it was the right thing to do.

Proof being, the reports from Idaho about all the Utah guys going to Idaho "to get exercise".
what reports? You read one thread in MMs and it was likely just trolling.

Hahahahahahahha

Hahahahahhaha

Hahahahahahahhaha

what reports? You read one thread in MMs and it was likely just trolling.

Hahahahahahahha

Hahahahahhaha

Hahahahahahahhaha

Man, I thought you had turned a page.

Ha, is now your best work?

My gawd, when did you become so boring?

Show us some venom, some crass. Show us what's got you blocked by numerous dudes in here.

Do something, but don't just become the 99% who write **** like Ha.

Even Meh is better than Ha

Man, I thought you had turned a page.

Ha, is now your best work?

My gawd, when did you become so boring?

Show us some venom, some crass. Show us what's got you blocked by numerous dudes in here.

Do something, but don't just become the 99% who write **** like Ha.

Even Meh is better than Ha
Exactly you have nothing. Reports Idaho is getting flooded. You’re hilarious.

Again. Do better.

You used to have an edge.

Now your just like 90% of the dudes in here. Ha, hilarious?

Do better

Again. Do better.

You used to have an edge.

Now your just like 90% of the dudes in here. Ha, hilarious?

Do better
translation: I was called out and I can’t back it up.

It’s ok hossy, it’s expected of you ?

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom