Fall Bowhunt

NebrCatMan

Hi everyone!!! Just trying to get thru the off season dreaming of the fall hunts. I am starting to plan a bow hunt with a buddy for this fall. We will be doing an over the counter unit unless we can get in on some leftover tags in a unit not filled in the draw. I have hunted in Colorado before in 55 and 54 before they were made draw units. Last year we hunted in 62.We saw elk but could not close the deal with our bows. With guns we would have came home with our freezers full. But sleeping in our tent with the wood stove going and the bulls bugleing down in the valleys at nite was simply totally awesome!!!!! Any way we really enjoyed Colorado and the people we met. A great experience!!!!! Just wondering if anyone has any comments for a couple of flatlanders from Nebraska about OTC elk hunts or any areas in the state. Last year there were some real nice MM"ers who really helped out with some comments. Thanks!!!!!!

If I were you guys I'd stick with where you hunted last year. Sounds like you were into elk and you already know what to expect and have a good idea where the elk are. Thats half the battle right there. Too often guys get the "grass is always greener" syndrom and jump around from unit to unit and dont spend enough time learning an area. They tend to lose sight of the task at hand, KILLING ELK! I've learned over the years to stick with a unit for atleast a couple years and really learn it and I have been more successful because of it.

4afddbfa2842588e.jpg

Great advice. What I like about unit 62 is the bulls are not as call shy as in other parts of the state. While bear hunting a few years back in 62 I had bowhunters working to my left through an aspen patch and they were bugling a whole lot in the middle of the day. When I could hear them approaching I stood up to say hi and there was one of the largest bulls I have seen staring straight at me 10 yards away. Good luck and have fun.

haha that's awesome. I did the same thing a few years ago with a giant bull and its cracks me up everytime I think about it.

Thanks guys for the comments. Last year in 62 I was there with a first time bow elk hunter. Our spirits were high. We took a couple days to get used to the thin air and when all the muzzle loaders were done we went hunting. One day I set up to do some cow calling hoping to bring in a bull from some really good cover full of fresh sign. I set my buddy just off to the side of a wash full of paths and fresh tracks that headed in to thick cover to the north. I set up around 100 yards south of him. It was 10 am and we just hoped something would come in. Well a bull did come in..........not from where I had hoped, but from clear across an open meadow to the south of me. I will never forget the look on my buddy's face when he looked back at me after watching those paths to the north. His eye's got big as saucers and his jaw about hit the ground. I could see he started shaking. I knew we were done had. I was sitting in some scrub brush facing north and never did see the bull. My buddy said the bull just walked in slowly and after figureing out there was no cow around ...... he just turned around and went to where he came from. Got to within 30 or 40 yards of me. After a long time my buddy came over to tell me everything...........he could not even talk. When I asked him how big the bull was he just stuttered and said he he he was bi bi big....really bi bi big. He's hooked for life!!!!!!!! Hope his wife can forgive me for taking him to Colo. Thanks guys!!!!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom