FATAL TURKEY ACCIDENT

U

unclewalty

Sorry to hear on the news a fellow hunter was accidently shot opening weekend.Condolences to his family and to the accidental shooter, accidents do happen. I don't know any of the details but I do know that most hunters especially turkey hunters are very conscientious about safety and take the best precautions that they can. Interested to see how fellow hunters feel about what has happened. Your thoughts and feelings on this tragedy would be appreciated.

PAYNES CREEK ? A Vacaville man was shot and killed while hunting on the opening day of turkey season.
Larry Gene Pendley was hunting Saturday morning in the Paynes Creek area near Little Giant Mill Road with five friends. Four of them had hunted together for 30 years, with Pendley the relative newcomer to the group. He had been hunting with the men for 10 years, said Tehama County Sheriff Clay Parker.

A Tehama Sheriff's Department release said an investigation showed Pendley was accidentally shot by 50-year-old Stephen Henderson, a member of his hunting party.

Turkey season opened Saturday and everyone was in camouflage as the group started out together before breaking up to stalk the birds, Parker said.

"The victim got down on his hands and knees and was crawling through brush," Parker said. "His friend was about 30 yards away and saw movement. He thought it was a tom and hit the victim."

Parker said Pendley, who was pronounced dead at the scene, was hit in the upper chest and head with a heavy turkey load from a 12-gauge shotgun.

The official cause of death is pending the results of an autopsy, which should be completed within a few days, he said.

The case is still under investigation.

Hunters are always reminded to identify game before shooting and are taught never to shoot at movement unless they know what is moving.

Julie Zeeb is a reporter for the Red Bluff Daily News.

A definate tragedy. Sad for those involved.

That said, how do I feel about it....stupidity at it's best.

Just exactly how long, past the age of 10, do you learn not to never shoot unless you are sure of your target?

THERE IS NO EXCUSE....assuming that the press release is accurate.

It was a Tom season only and they have to have a beard over a inch long so what made him shoot? Sad deal for every one.

As mentioned by another poster, if the new report is accurate I Cannot see any excuse for that to happen. In my opinion that is NOT AN ACCIDENT.. Stupidity at best..

Who in the hell shoots at "movement"?

I have guys ask me to "take them" hunting all the time. Some of these guys, ah how to say it, "party a bit", are new to the game, and as much as i'd like to get more people involved in hunting, i just don't feel it's worth the responsibility that i would feel for them and the potential safety issues that could arise.

On the News today, i saw the wife of this shooting "accident." She claims that's exactly what it was and holds the shooter non accountable. Sad deal all the way around!!

Joey

I had a clown once who was tresspassing sneek up behind me in a ravine,I had my back up against a big oak ,and he shot my hen decoy that was 20 yards out in front of me.The shot went right past my head because he was using my tree to sneek up on the bird.I am glad to this day I didnt hear him comming I could have turned my head into that shot going bye.
Everybody needs to be carful out there you never know when somethings going to happen or how it will happen.

This is one of the reasons I always wear hunter orange no matter what I'm hunting.

Somebody said it earlier but.....who the hell shoots at movement and who shoots at an unknown target? WTF?

Another reason the only hunting partner I've ever had in my 38 years of existence is my Dad. I know he KNOWS how to hunt and this arsehole was simply shooting!

Mistakes happen? I don't think that statement falls into this category one bit. If this happened to your loved one....you wouldn't be saying that. What if it was your son? This is an absolute disgrace.

Steve

Complete stupidity all the way around! One rule to always follow ,let em have the opener. I feel bad for all involved but also for all turkey hunters everywhere, most of us go beyond safe. This happened on Sierra Pacific land I hope they dont close it all down? BH1

....no such thing as an "accidental" shooting....only "negligent" discharges..

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Accident shooting. 30 yds If it is what happen and is proven to be just that I feel sorry for his Family IF NOT
Mistaking a man for a turkey,Is just hard to swallow. My next question would be how much insurance he had on him and who was going to get it.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

I appreciate the input from everybody. When I did the original post I did not know any of the details of the "accident" so i posted the benefit of the doubt. If the information givin is accurate than this is a tragady. Non hunters look at things such as this to try and restrict others from handling these "horrible weapons" that are so dangerous when we know each individual makes our firearms safe or by foolishness or negligence dangerous. Shooting at noise, I can't believe someone could be so stupid. What a shame as one poster said "what if he shot your son how would you feel?" We all know that some mistakes happen but most can be prevented! Preach safety! Practice Safety!

I know a guy that said he was there and witnessed the shooting. He said that the 50 year old didn't shoot the other guy, but a 19 year old that was new to hunting. I know this guy pretty well and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't lie about something like that so I wonder why the police would try and cover it up.

When I take someone new to hunting out in field, they get a mentor not just turned loose to fend for themselves.

>....no such thing as an "accidental"
>shooting....only "negligent" discharges..
>
>
>
>great post/pic, thanks for sharing
>
>JB
>
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Yep!......

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom