Favorite hunting strategy

madtinker

So, I've got an elk hunt coming up in thick timber, deadfall, and steep country. My preferred strategy is spot-and-stalk because everyone says it works so well, but there aren't a lot of good vantage points. So I am wondering about the alternatives.

Ambush: I found at least one low saddle between two large draws that had decent sign. I could see elk crossing the saddle as they get pushed around. There's also an area I found a couple old kills near the border with private land where they might get pushed. For this I would need to better understand how elk move across the land. Do they stick to cover? Do they run up, down, or sidehill? Do they run upwind or down?

Still hunting: If the rut is over the bulls will be hunkering down to rest. I might be able to find them this way, but seeing them before they see me will be...difficult or impossible. I don't have woodcraft for this, but it sounds fun nonetheless. I aspire to being a deadly shadow, but ain't there yet.

Driving: If I knew approximately where they are, I will have my brother and a friend with me and we could set up a drive. Not my favorite option, but might be worth a try.

Anyone like these options over the spot-and-stalk method that I've read so much about? If you have a favorite, what are your keys to success? Are there others that I've missed?

Thanks!

We typically have a route that we drive. Most spots are over looking migration points, or large valley's and really elky areas. We typically start the mornings near the fields that we know elk really hang around, typically have water near by or food. Then just drive around in that "route" from spot to spot looking and glassing for around an hour ish.

Catch the elk when they move by staying mobile.

Now If you know elk are hanging out in one specific valley or mountain side, I would just sit on a good visibility point and wait to make a move when you see them, or sit on a highly used game trail with food or water around.

Still hunting can be done, but you must have the patience and discipline to move slooooow. I mean take 3-5 steps and stop and glass. Use your binos in that thick cover more than you move. Once you've ascertained no elk; move another 3-5 steps sloooowly. Then thoroughly glass all area you can see. You might surprise yourself with how many elk you see before they see you. Good glass will enable you to see extremely well in thick cover.

Of course, you will want to be reasonably assured that elk are in that particular cover. When you move that slowly, it takes a long time to cover a small area, so you're burning a lot of daylight.

Still hunting is awesome but you have to treat it like bow hunting. Ambush can work if you are familiar with the escape routes and patterns of those elk. Even if you aren’t you can usually find spots where they will go when the pressure arrives. I do a mix of it all when I Rifle hunt, if pressure is light and terrain and vegetation allow I would glass first, midday if the wind is right, try still hunting bedding areas, to get to a new vantage to glass for the evening, good luck on your hunt

Imo, your nest bet is to get to the saddle with elk sign and sit there all day. Get there well before light using the path least likely to blow the elk out. Make sure wind is in your favor and don't move. If there are elk in the area, and you can remain patient, you will probably have an opportunity or two. You might see a hunter or two walk through. Don't stress, they are doing your job for you. I can't begin to count the number of trail cam pictures I have of hunters and then elk less than an hour later. All is not lost just because someone walks through.

If you are hearing shots within a mile or two (or closer), stay put. If there are zero shots in the area after 1-2 days, you need to move.

I have shot several still hunting but it is much harder than a person thinks. You seriously need to move very, very slow for it to work.

60% of bulls are probably killed on opening day, another 20% the next. Each day after that, only 5% by the consistent hard hunters. If you can find and area with elk, and good vantage points overlooking draws or saddles, I would plant my butt and glass all day long on the opener. They will either be in a full-blown panic running from someone who bumped them, or sneaking thru cover trying to get to steep nasty noisy cover they can stay in for several days. If you can find an area with a little water and feed, they won't move at all unless someone bumps them again!!!

The best strategy is to let others walk through the dark timber and cliffs pushing the elk around. While you post up in a good vantage point and wait for the elk to come to you ?

Sit in a 5 star hotel with great room service. Wait for your outfitter to call and send you pictures. If it’s big enough he will send someone to pick you up. The others in his crew (posse) will keep other hunters away and encircle the animal for you until you get there. Don’t forget to hang the latest and greatest camo clothes money can buy by the door. Even though you never worn them before, you want to look good for the grip and grin photos.

NOT. ?????
Sorry, Just could not resist.

it is boring to sit in a spot you think they should be, and really tough (and nerve-wracking) to go slow enough in close quarters where you think they'll be!! easiest to spot them when they are moving... you just have to be doing the right method at the right time! do a little of all of it. good luck

High up crossing from valley to valley seems to work best for us, Deer and Elk let the hunters down below hunt in the thick stuff and push the elk/deer around until the herds decide to higher ground to get away.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom