Feds propose selling public land

It is all part of the same movement. The groups leading the push to transfer federal lands to the western states have recruited a few federal legislators to assist in the effort. For instance, Rob Bishop (R-Utah) has introduced federal legislation to this effect. See this video on the American Lands Council website: http://archive.americanlandscouncil...s-how-lands-are-crucial-to-funding-education/ Whether it's federal or state legislation the result would be the same.

-Hawkeye-

Let me see if I've got this Right?

The USFS is Broke!

Past Broke to be Exact!

USFS = US Government Right?

HELL SAKES!

We all know Our Government is Broke!

Past Broke!

In a Hole So Deep there's No way out!

Correct me if I'm Wrong!

440 might have to come up out of the Basement & SPLAIN it to me!

Or at least SPIN it!

We laugh, we cry, we love
Go hard when the going's tough
Push back, come push and shove
Knock us down, we'll get back up again and again
We are Members of the Huntin Crowd!

Elkassasin. You are absolutely right when you say this country is broke. This country is going to be forced to make some tough decisions. However, there are still some thi gs I believe are sancrosanct and absolutely off limits. Selling off our public lands ds is one of them.
If public lands are sold off and my favorite fishing hole and deer spot gets a no tresspassimg sign, everything on this forum is irrelevant.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-27-15 AT 07:24PM (MST)[p]I swore off this subject but there is something that needs to abundantly clear, that so far, I've not seen anyone mention.

Apparently there is some kind of statement in Utah's proposal that say's "IF" the State does sell the land, the proceeds from the sale would go back to the Federal government. Therefore, it would never be in the State's interest to sell the land because the State would not get the benefit of the sale.

If that is true, it is a smoke screen.

The State could care less about the proceeds from the sale of the land. They would gladly give the proceeds to the Feds. IT'S NOT THE PROCEEDS FROM THE SALE THEY ARE ATTEMPTING TO CAPTURE FROM PUBLIC LAND IN UTAH, IT'S THE "FUTURE TAX REVENUES AND ROYALTIES" THAT WOULD COME FROM THE PRIVATE OWNERS OF THE PROPERTY. THAT IS WHERE THE LONG TERM REVENUE WILL COME FROM, FOR THE STATE, IF THE LAND IS EVER OWNED PRIVATELY.

That being the case, the State would be delighted if the Federal government sold the land. The minute they did, the land would begin to receive tax revenue for the State. Which is the primary goal the State has, ie: Tax and Royalty revenue. So if the Feds threaten to sell the land, that is like tossing Brer Rabbit in da Briar Patch, it's exactly what they'd like the Feds to do. That way the State can blame the Feds and hip-pity hop down the road, with their increase in tax revenue laughing and chuckling at just how the Feds taught us a lesson in bad behavior. The State could the curse the Feds for selling off the land and tell us there was nothing they could do to prevent it! Damn Feds.

Yes and it would increase Federal tax revenues too, in as much as the property taxes is not the only revenue that would be generated. Profits from industries that are developed on these properties is all Federal taxable. So the Feds, in time, if they haven't already will decide to, will come to believe that the Federal government will be richer if the land is made private. Execute order and she's a done deal!

Like I said, this is a fricking "tar baby" and we're all going to get filthy dirty before we're through here.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. No self control, clearly.

DC

Even though the USFS/FEDS would get a lot of Money!

It'd never even Scratch the Money needed to get them out of the Hole They've Dug!

Oh!

Did I mention?

This World is F'D Up!

Homestead it out by a lottery system would be fair. 640 acre sections since it's already surveyed. You have to start paying taxes on it.

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

Eel, your closer than you can imagine. It's very likely the government, either the State or the Feds, once they decide to turn it public, could actually give these public lands to the right party. For example, the surface value is relatively worthless, compared to the coal or oil that lies under the ground. I can easily see them telling Exxon or Coast Coal, the land or the lease is free, for the royalty fees and taxes you'll pay us for the minerals.

Think of the revenue: Property Taxes, thousands of employees income taxes, royalty fees, cooperate income taxes, road taxes, fuel taxes, sales taxes, dividend taxes, to name but a few, this times every mine, oil field, timber company, RV Park, factory, power plant, etc. etc.

Pretty tempting for all governments ay?

This against a few thousand hunters and fishermen, a a few more granola grinders.

Where's Teddy Roosevelt when we need him. Like Elvis, I believe Teddy's left the building, so it's up to me any you Earl!

DC

"...this against a few thousand hunters and fishermen, a a few more granola grinders."

Jesus help us. I don't believe i've ever been faced with a more heinous idea in my lifetime!

I've been reading this evening about similar, completely screw the common man of HIS land, these land transfer deals in Nv. and Az. too.

Probably near 90% of the general comments i've read have been negative. This has been tried before, hopefully it will be stopped again.

I'd like some links posted somewhere of people in influence that i might contact and unload. Thanks!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

With an 18 trillion dollar debt, and no desire to cut spending, something has to give. The can that's being kicked down the road is going to run out of road one of these days.

Eel
It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-28-15 AT 09:18AM (MST)[p]>With an 18 trillion dollar debt,
>and no desire to cut
>spending, something has to give.
>The can that's being kicked
>down the road is going
>to run out of road
>one of these days.

And selling public land will offer an influx of cash that the government will waste with welfare programs, cronyism, and fraud... and we'll be right back where we are now, but having forever harmed the quality of life of our posterity.

2014 was the highest revenue year ever for the federal government, yet we still ran a trillion dollar deficit and borrowed from Social Security to make up the difference. This isn't a revenue problem, it's a spending problem.

Grizzly

Funny isn't it? It seems like just yesterday when the politicians were giving out trillions of dollars worth of tax cuts.

I can tell you without a doubt that the choicest most beautiful parcels of public land will go those that got the bulk of the trillions of dollars in tax cuts.

I want to extend a heartfelt thanks from me and my family to all those that voted in our current congress. (Sarcasm)

Thank god that I grew up in the best times in America, and thankfully I have another country to retire in. It's still overwhelmingly sad to see what's happening and to witness the loss of the amazing public land we have (*had). But that's life, it's full of both the good and terrible,*and its short.

eel, you do understand that this is about a bunch of states and doing away with our National Forests and public lands, right?

Sell it to China, log it. drill it, parcel it up in huge chunks for the rich, but forever forget about having it accessible to the general public again.

Here we are again, Some people have found something that was basically free, like our hunting used to be years ago, and figured out a way to sell it to make money from that something, that was not theirs to sell.

One of the first things i learned that stuck as a young guy was that we were Steward's of the land, it was up to us to take care of it. No where in any of that concept was there mention of selling off all our public land to the highest bidder!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

>Funny isn't it? It
>seems like just yesterday when
>the politicians were giving out
>trillions of dollars worth of
>tax cuts.
>
>I can tell you without a
>doubt that the choicest most
>beautiful parcels of public land
>will go those that got
>the bulk of the trillions
>of dollars in tax cuts.
>
>
>I want to extend a heartfelt
>thanks from me and my
>family to all those that
>voted in our current congress.
>(Sarcasm)
>
>Thank god that I grew up
>in the best times in
>America, and thankfully I have
>another country to retire in.
> It's still overwhelmingly
>sad to see what's happening
>and to witness the loss
>of the amazing public land
>we have (*had).
>But that's life, it's full
>of both the good
>and terrible,*and its short.

It's been run by the left and the rino's for far too long piper. Time for some conservatives

You got your wish DW, they won, but let's keep the partisian comments on the political forum. ok?

Yes, I do know Joey. No one is more disgusted or sad than me. I hope it never happens!

Eel

LAST EDITED ON Mar-28-15 AT 04:16PM (MST)[p]I would not look for Obama to veto it. He would love that money for some of his pet projects in the inner cities. Plus he may need it to fund Obamacare. Then Obama will tell the voters that this was a bi-partisan bill proving both parties can work together.

What do you guys think about that both Democrats and GOP who has a majority of voters in a city district or urban area adjacent to a large city will buy into this sale of public land and turn around and tell their voters that they saved them from higher taxes due to the budget being so far into the red.

RELH

Let me first say that I'm not in favor of selling the majority of public lands and having it locked up. I read the link posted at the top of this thread and the article posted is from a left wing climate change group, so the way this was written has their spin on it. I then did a search of news articles on this and found that the amendment that was voted on doesn't sell and public land. All National Parks, Wilderness areas, Monuments are off the table. Any sale of public lands would have to voted on by the congress in the future. I also read that this amendment was more symbolic and not binding. There may be a small amount of cases that public land should be sold off but not in mass.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-28-15 AT 05:49PM (MST)[p]I'm sure Obama would veto a bill to sell off public land. If it ever came up, this is a little different though, and its just a step.

Maybe RELH should look up who voted for it, I imagine his hot air would quickly dissipate.
Actually we should all should look at the vote.

In my opinion this legislation is part of a grand strategy , and they will tie it to a budget bill to get this part through, and do what needs to be done, Its "House of cards" at its best.
Obama needs to hear from the public on this, and that we know what's going on, because they will make it as hard for him to veto this bill ask possible.
For the final assault they are waiting for a friendly administration, which is possible in 2016. This is just step two or three of themsomething that's been coming together since the early days of the sagebrush rebellion.
It has little to do with the federal budget,
that's just one of the things that's being looked at to sell it to the public I'm afraid.

To those that think this is needed so congress can sell and trade little parcels of public land, your wrong.
Congress can do that and has been doing that for years.

Piper if you really think that Obama and certain Democrat members of Congress would not sign off on selling of public lands, you have your head buried in the sand and may be in for a shock one day.

RELH

My fear isn't what Obama would do. My fear is that transferring Federal land to the States to sell will actually be a major plank of the Republican platform in the future.

I bet if you asked Ted Cruz or Rand Paul, they would both say they support the Land Grab. That is what is terrifying to me.

We have to stop this at the State level and with our Congressmen. Don't depend on a President, whomever it is.

(FWIW, I would vote for Hillary over a Republican that would sign a bill transferring Federal land to the States.)

Grizzly

I'm going to voice my opinion to whoever matters. Red white or blue. The bottom line is what's important.

I want the public land to stay public. Period.

Wow, what a wonderful thing for sportsmen. Let's just pick a number, say 50%. For ideological purposes of course. To heck with history or geography or anything else. Amazing

Well, i'd feel a lot better about all of this if it weren't for the drift that we all should be getting from what 2lumpy has been saying.

He strikes me strongly as a Man that you don't want to bet against. To me, i'm getting from him the same drift that i'd see in a cat that has just had half a dozen canarys for dinner.

It don't matter Dem or Rep, we as Stewards of our Public Lands need to do whatever we need to do, aside from a small sale here and there from time to time, to keep our Public Land from being sold away!

Joey

>http://www.cruz.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=1502
>Just to take the spin out
>of the cruz/republican bashing. Colorado
>is 35% federal.

Thanks for the link DW. Just as I suspected.

That link proves Cruz will sell millions of acres in Utah, Nevada, and Wyoming for sure. His bill doesn't prevent Congress from selling off millions of acres in Colorado, Idaho, Arizona, New Mexico, Montana, etc... either. It sets a maximum amount of Federal land in a state at 50%, but doesn't set a minimum.

Rand Paul has many quotes about supporting tax-cheat Cliven Bundy and saying the Federal Government should not own land inside of States, so his position is clear too.

Grizzly

Congressmen that support the sell-off of federal land that I found through a quick search...

Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY)
Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX)
Rep. Rob Bishop (R-UT)
Rep. Steve Pearce (R-NM)
Sen. Dean Heller (R-NV)
Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT)
Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT)
Rep. Chris Steward (R-UT)
Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-UT)
Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-WA)
Sen. Jeff Flake (R-AZ)
Sen. John McCain (R-AZ)
Rep. Trent Franks (R-AZ)
Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA)
Rep. Ken Calvert (R-CA)
Rep. Tom McClintock (R-CA)

Just so everybody knows where our elected officials stand.

Grizzly

LAST EDITED ON Mar-28-15 AT 11:11PM (MST)[p]
>
>It don't matter Dem or Rep,
>we as Stewards of our
>Public Lands need to do
>whatever we need to do,
>aside from a small sale
>here and there from time
>to time, to keep our
>Public Land from being sold
>away!
>
>Joey
>
>
>"It's all about knowing what your
>firearms practical limitations are and
>combining that with your own
>personal limitations!"

Completely agree sage!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-28-15 AT 10:56PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-28-15 AT 10:56?PM (MST)

>http://dailycaller.com/2011/03/17/congressional-republicans-push-to-sell-federal-land/
>Is this what yer talkin bout
>grizz? If there's more to
>it shoot me a link.
>

Here you go, DW. It's an image I found searching Google Images, I don't know the link, so hopefully this works... (The sources are all listed at the bottom, for some reason they are mainly FoxNews articles.)

413federallandgrab.jpg

edit: DW, I can't get it to work. It is not too large a file (only 261kb), but it is tall and skinny and maybe that is why. You might be able to find the same image by doing a search for those names and "transfer federal land". I think that is what I did when I found it. Oh and sweet game tonight, I wish Notre Dame had held on though.

Grizzly

You can bet that will be joined by many Democrats that have districts within large urban and city areas. I look for more CA. Democrats to join those three GOP members from CA.
Obama would sign off on it and you can bet Hillary would sign off on it also. As well as several GOP candidates that may run for president.

Lets face it guys, as hunters we are a minority as voters. We can not even count on the granola crunching hikers as most are city living Democrats that will be influenced by their rep. in Congress. Bottom line, it is going to happen sooner or later.

RELH

I got my eyes on a few sections of the Ruby Mountains.:) J/K

DW, Notre Dame just barely didn't win.:)

Eel

Took me till damn near 1 am to find a print of the bill. After reading it Larrbo in post 19's got it about right near as I can tell.

You can see what the State Politicians want/are up to!

More Tax Revenue!

When are the People of this State/Country gonna Stand Up & Say:Enough is Enough!

Guess it's gonna have to get Perty Ugly before that happens!

I've been Asking the Same Question all my Life!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom