field judging moose

why

field judging moose

does any one know of good website for field judging moose cousin drew summit tag he is avid deer elk hunter. luck out with 4 points i will not be able to go with first week of hunt i will in b.c. elk huntig he said .any pictures or tips would be helpful thanks. guys seen tips on elk forum hoping someone has somthing thanks agin.

RE: field judging moose

I'm no expert but I took a beautiful Shiras in WY a few years back and by far the biggest thing to look for in a bull is wide paddles. My bull was only 40" wide but made B&C because he had nice heavy and wide paddles.Also remember the number of points counts but not the length.

Watch alot of moose videos to get used to seeing them. Big mature moose just have a "look" to them.They are actually not hard to judge for this reason.

Good luck!

The biggest thing is having at leat two browtines on each antler. A single browtine will cost you on palm length. Long paddles add up the score in a hurry.

Then look for palm width, spread & then points.

Check out a B&C score sheet & look at as many shiras mounts as you can.

These guys have it right. Look for a bull with at least two points on the brow palms, and well-developed top palms. Palm length in the mid-to-high 30's here is ideal. Look for palm widths in the 12-15" range. Look for a bull with lots of points, but not too many long points as this tends to take away from the width of the palm. Also, points only count if their length is longer than the width at the base. Using the above numbers, a modest spread of 40", say 8 points per side, your looking about around 160", which is above the minimum for B&C. As far as field judging goes, figure around 20" from the base of the antler to the end of the snout on a shiras bull, and around 6-7" in between the antlers on the forehead. These numbers are variable, but might give you some idea in the field.

If you are looking for B&C score then you have heard it all from the previous posts. Good advice.
However, I would suggest that you not get too hung up on the "numbers" unless you are dead set on putting one in the books.(a very small %) I killed a very nice wide paddled bull in Wyoming several years back that had long points and single dagger brows. He doesn't score well at all, but he is a 44"--- wide paddled---long pointed beauty that graces a prominent place in my home and I couldn't be happier with him. So I would say hunt hard and find a bull that you like and then put the hammer down. If he scores well that is great too.

thanks guys does any body have pictures i could send him it dosent have to be b.c just dont want him to shoot dink. thanks

Here are pictures of two completely different bulls. The first is a mid to high 40's with 10 and 9 points. Palms are close to 30 in length and 10 in width. So with each side scoring 56-57 inches and say an outside spread of 46, this bull score close to 160.
395dsc00269.jpg

This next bull is only about 39 wide, and has 12 and 10 for points. The palms are over 35 inches long and around 10 wide. It's sides score in the low 60's and adding the width, will score in the mid 160's.
2373dsc00270.jpg

When scoring a bull, you get palm length, palm width, base diamiter, number of points annd outside width.

The hunts are fun and the meat is great. Like what was said, just shoot a bull you will be happy with and enjoy the experience with family and friends.

Yelum

thanks d13er this what i was looking for could not find thanks a bunch looking so hard.

LAST EDITED ON May-29-10 AT 12:23PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-29-10 AT 12:22?PM (MST)

I agree with everyone else. Split brow and long paddles make your score go up fast, but some character is always a good thing too!

Here is one that scores 168
9x12 points
51 wide
split brows =xtra points
kinda weak on the paddle width though
Wasatchmoose12.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom