Fierce Rifles

Have an Edge in 300 WM. It's a tack driver. Broke the ejector clip (? correct name) on it using another guys brass that had been overpressured. Customer service at Fierce set me right up with a replacement part and some reloading advice, lol. I'm very happy with the gun.

Didnt get much feedback here....but ended up with one anyways. Its a pre-owned Fierce Fury in .300 Winny with factory muzzle brake. Detachable mag, 24" barrel and 2 pc Fierce picatanny mounts. I threw on some cheap Weaver rings and a Leupold 3.5-10x40 scope just to see what it would do. Shot a 1 1/2" group with factory Barnes 180 gr TTSX and probably a 3" group with factory Federal Premium 180gr Partitions (factory 2nds) @ 200 yards.

At first glance and feel, its FAR from a Sako action. I hate to say it but the gun feels cheap. Its similair to a Sako action but no where near as silky smooth. The mag feels thin. The trigger, although very crisp with 0 creep, feels like it could break. Just not "solid" feeling like a Timney, TriggerTech or even a Weatherby trigger. The bolt looks like something any machinest could make. The muzzle break appears to be perfectly fit to the OD of the barrel and is very clean looking and low profile. That being said, not as effective as the brake on my .300 Weatherby by Nathan @ Muzzle Brakes and More.

The finish on the metal is very good. Any nicks or scratches sort of just wipe away with your sleeve. The stock also have no complaints. Its a light feeling mountain rifle. I think 7.2 lbs without a scope but will need to verify as it feels lighter than that.

BUT....it does appear to be able to shoot and I am confident with handloads it will be a tack driver. I suspect most of what you are paying for when buying a new rifle goes to the barrel and accurizing. Its a nice rifle but at $2400 new, its half the rifle of Dads Montana Rifle X3 in terms of feeling stout and solid.

Back to recoil, factory 180gr and 195 grain bullets feel similiar to a 7mm mag. Kick feels slower and more blunt and not quite as violent of explosion though. Another thing I noticed is that I shot 9 rounds and the barrel was warm to the touch but not hot. My .300 Weatherby it hot to the touch after 3 or 4 rounds. Maybe thats caliber specific.

This is the cheapest of their line so maybe the more expensive models will leave off where this one fell short. All in all, I am happy with the purchase. I paid $1400 for a used one with 100-150 rounds down the tube. I dont know if the previous owner cleaned it much but it was clean within 5 patches and a few nylon brushes. I will post more info as I start to reload and see what it can really do. For now, I think I'll add the 4.5-14 Leupold and shoot a cow with it next month with the factory Barnes TTSX.

I have a handful of factory rifles, but just had TS Customs build me a 280 ai. I think from now on I'll pay a bit more and get a custom rifle built each time. The available options, higher quality components, and workmanship is so much better.

2020-04-16 16.42.49.jpg

I have a handful of factory rifles, but just had TS Customs build me a 280 ai. I think from now on I'll pay a bit more and get a custom rifle built each time. The available options, higher quality components, and workmanship is so much better.

View attachment 13530

Dad has a Montana Rifle in 280 AI. It is likely the most accurate and pleasure to shoot of the rifles we own. Recoil is that of a 25-06 or less with their brake. Great cartidge too. His will shoot sub MOA all day long with as much H4831 as you want to feed it topped with 160 Accubonds.

I currently use one in 6.5 x 284 specifically for deer.
( I prefer to have a different cartridge for each species to justify having so may guns).
It is not a custom gun but is a good value for its price range. Shoots sub 1/2 MOA with hand loads but does not do well with factory ammo. I had another one that I gave to my kid that was basically the same but a 24" barrel instead of my current 26". It would shoot 1/2" with factory shells.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom