figuring the drop on a 240 wby mag

brokenneck

I'm not hunting with this gun this year, just bought it,
It's a custom built gun, but on a Winchester m70 action,lidja barrel,timney trigger, custom stock, not sure who made it, topped with a zeiss 3.5-10x44 SCOPE. (By the way,I bought this gun for 500 bucks and a trail camera, which is a trail camera MORE than he was asking:) )
It came with 200 rounds of barns 85 gr bullets, the blue bullets. Cronographed at 3070 fps.

What I want to learn, just for a starting point At the range, is this-
It is sighted in for zero at 200 yards. Going off of the paper it came with it is
+1.45" @100 yrds
0 @200
-6.7. @300
-19.7. @400
-40.4. @500
SCOPE is set for 1/4" per click

So how can I figure how many clicks to raise it to make it zero at 400 yards? 500? 600? Is there a website that will tell me that?

I AM NOT using this for big game hunting this year, and I absolutely know that I will learn this info first hand when I start shooting this weekend. And I also know that I would be better off getting a turret built for the gun, which I will do once I get my load figures out.
But that might be a year down the road and I have a place I can shoot Jack rabbit's and coyote from a rimrock out to 600 yards and would like to play this weekend.
Thank you.

That seems awful. ..
I guess for 500. Buck....its a deal..ammo alone is probably close to
I shoot a .257 WBY mag....ultra light ..
Its a tack driver to 300 yrds ...
I hold dead on.. and I shot it yesterday! Taken a
Rem 7mm as back up..to 3 states starting Friday..
Jester

bn, If me, i'd not invest much time in the ammo you currently have unless your FPS quote was a typo. If not, those rounds are substantially under loaded, not near the cartridges full potential with that bullet. Shoot them up and if the brass is good, you will be on your way to making something that will do that Weatherby Cartridge proud.

Sounds like a good purchase! I'd suggest that you check out this link for info on Barnes Bullets and 240 Weatherby data.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/copper...df?PHPSESSID=1827884cd1bd166a487a5e2c28a5bda8

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Multiply the click value at 100 by the ratio of the ranges to get the click value at the desired range.

For example,

400 yards, 1 click = 1/4"X400/100 = 1". Move it up 20 clicks.

500 yards 1/4" x 500/100 = 1.25" per click. 40.4/1.25= 32 clicks

You might want to actually shoot with it dialed at each range as the difference in actual click value might be a bit off from 1/4" and that could start adding up as the range increases.

I'm going to shoot through a crono this weekend. I haven't even pulled the trigger on it yet. I'm going off of what was written on the box of ammo.
I read my reloading book last night and I'm curious if that#is accurate. That's over 500 fps low?

So are you saying if I'm 40 inches low at 500, if I click it 32 clicks up, that would zero it at 500?
Thanks

LAST EDITED ON Sep-30-14 AT 10:02AM (MST)[p]>I'm going to shoot through a
>crono this weekend. I haven't
>even pulled the trigger on
>it yet. I'm going
>off of what was written
>on the box of ammo.
>
>I read my reloading book last
>night and I'm curious if
>that#is accurate. That's over 500
>fps low?
>
>
>So are you saying if I'm
> 40 inches low at
>500, if I click it
>32 clicks up, that would
>zero it at 500?
>Thanks

Every gun is different. Maybe that's the speed that gun likes that bullet the best. Id contact the previous owner and ask why he settled there, b4 plowin ground hes already plowed.JMHO

BN,

By far the best and only for sure way to know your bullet drop with a given loading is to use your rangefinder to distance a target, shoot, then measure the drop.

No matter what, if those numbers on that loading prove out with a crony, it's considerably slower than a 243 Winchester factory and i'd shoot it for the brass or practice. If the Rifle won't shoot at least some loadings well at near Max velocity or better, IMO, it ain't worth owning.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

>BN,
>
>By far the best and only
>for sure way to know
>your bullet drop with a
>given loading is to use
>your rangefinder to distance a
>target, shoot, then measure the
>drop.
>
>
>If the Rifle won't shoot
>at least some loadings well
>at near Max velocity or
>better, IMO, it ain't worth
>owning.
>
>Joey
>
>
>"It's all about knowing what your
>firearms practical limitations are and
>combining that with your own
>personal limitations!"

Agree!

I wouldn't worry now, you seem in pretty good shape. Shoot some of those rounds thru a crony and see what you have velocity wise and how well they shoot. They might be really light loads for any of several reasons but the main thing is you got free brass, to make your own loads, in the deal.

Joey

Don't worry about the light loads... It's a good thing the gun was treated like a baby. Less erosion for the same number of shots.

Anyway, yes. That is how you calculate clicks at different ranges to drop. But shoot it and see to make sure. Drop can vary from tables and clicks can vary from 1/4" at 100 yards. 32 clicks at 500 is what you would do for your first guess on the range.

Just curious, what if that particular load absolutely drives tacks out of that gun? I'm of course assuming the previous owner spent hours working up that load then went ahead and loaded at least 200 of em, it begs the question, why?

I'm curious too. And wondering what to do if it does shot outstanding? But I think I still have to work on a load that still shot great but uses y the guns potential?

B interesting to talk to the previous owner. Maybe a different bullet Flys better at faster speeds....that is the riddle that is the rifle! And half the fun of shootin em....solvin that riddle! Keep us posted.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom