Fillmore/Oak Creek

Hunterman1966

A friend of mine brother drew the Sportsman Tag for mule deer. He was wondering about the camping and road conditions at Fillmore Oak Creek. They are planning to go out over Labor Day weekend.

It gets a little crowded during the holiday weekends but what place doesn't? I was up there last night quite a few people were driving around but that happens every Sunday afternoon. There weren't really any more campers than usual. Your buddy probably won't find a campsite in the Ponderosas if he doesn't get there a day or two early but there will still be plenty of places to camp.

Lots of fawns this year.

Pics Wiff! Pics!
Screenshot_20220901_222721.jpg

Love the photos and the quality of them. It’s amazing the color and definition the phones and cameras have now, compared to the old days. You can see that detail. Love it
Those could even be cell phone pictures. My friends IPhone (think it’s a 13) takes as good or better than my digital point and shoot

It's the hard horned one above
Great Buck!
He rubbed his velvet a little early this year.
Hope the DIY guys can score on some of those big boys.
If I would have applied for the rifle hunt I would have drawn this year.
I applied for Muzzy.
No nonresident bonus tag on OC for Muzzy.
Just not sure if rifle is the way to go for DIY on that unit?.

Great Buck!
He rubbed his velvet a little early this year.
Hope the DIY guys can score on some of those big boys.
If I would have applied for the rifle hunt I would have drawn this year.
I applied for Muzzy.
No nonresident bonus tag on OC for Muzzy.
Just not sure if rifle is the way to go for DIY on that unit?.
Ya bucks are about half scraped half still holding velvet where I have been. The ones scraped off were all polished up nice.

Any tag on you can get on OC is a good tag right now.

An a certain someone who guides on this unit was disagreeing with me on the number and size of bucks still on the unit.

But they continue to manage it as a premium unit, which is complete BS. That unit is bought and paid for by the outfitters! There's no reason more tags shouldn't be given out for the average Joe to enjoy.
Leave it as is. There needs to be more than one or two places to view nice bucks. The best thing that ever happened to this unit was moving the boundary from the National Forest boundary to the highway.

Leave it as is. There needs to be more than one or two places to view nice bucks. The best thing that ever happened to this unit was moving the boundary from the National Forest boundary to the highway.
You could add another 20 tags to that unit and we would be seeing the same type of bucks up oak creek canyon on a mid November Sunday afternoon drive. Nothing would change for viewing but we would have 20 more happy hunters.

And we blame the DWR for making sure we kill every possible mature animal the second a couple dozen survive to be over three years old.

What’s wrong with keeping a few mature animals in these herds? We just can’t stand the idea that maybe we could get one of those 20 extra tags……… for a year or two, then it’s back to b!tching about over harvest and only seeing yearlings again.

We don’t deserve anything better than what the DWR has been providing us. No wonder Founder believes we’ll be out of mule deer in the next decade or two.

And we blame the DWR for making sure we kill every possible mature animal the second a couple dozen survive to be over three years old.

What’s wrong with keeping a few mature animals in these herds? We just can’t stand the idea that maybe we could get one of those 20 extra tags……… for a year or two, then it’s back to b!tching about over harvest and only seeing yearlings again.

We don’t deserve anything better than what the DWR has been providing us. No wonder Founder believes we’ll be out of mule deer in the next decade or two.
Lumpy, I've really enjoyed your comments over the years and respect your opinion but concerning your last post. You don't have a clue about what's going on with the oak creeks. Your post is so over the top with hyperbole, the oak creek is not a premium unit. That unit is extremely hard to hunt for the average joe hunter. 20 extra tags for the general public and two less auction tags would not lessen the quality of that unit at all.

Lumpy, I've really enjoyed your comments over the years and respect your opinion but concerning your last post. You don't have a clue about what's going on with the oak creeks. Your post is so over the top with hyperbole, the oak creek is not a premium unit. That unit is extremely hard to hunt for the average joe hunter. 20 extra tags for the general public and two less auction tags would not lessen the quality of that unit at all.
Okay then. I’ll offer another opinion, concerning my last post and your’s.

You will get your wish. I shall not have mine.

It’s not a wild guess, it’s simply a matter of consistency.

Rest easy gentlemen, regardless of the data, the system is securely in tack.

Okay then. I’ll offer another opinion, concerning my last post and your’s.

You will get your wish. I shall not have mine.

It’s not a wild guess, it’s simply a matter of consistency.

Rest easy gentlemen, regardless of the data, the system is securely in tack.
I hope my wish comes true. You know as well as I, that most of the monster bucks taken off that unit are from the guided hunters, not your diys average joe.

But they continue to manage it as a premium unit, which is complete BS. That unit is bought and paid for by the outfitters! There's no reason more tags shouldn't be given out for the average Joe to enjoy.
The DWR should make it a premium unit then and not keep managing it as a faux premium unit. It clearly has the genetics to produce monsters and it adds another unit the max point holders can burn their points and get out of the system!!

What exactly makes this unit extremely hard to hunt for the average joe hunter?

Steep, rugged mountains with very few roads.
I figured you would say as much. Sounds to me like you don't have a very high opinion of the average joe hunters capabilities. I guess we have something in common.

Having few roads is a positive for hunters unless you're a fat-azzed road hunter and then you don't deserve to hunt this unit anyway. Yeah it's a steep rugged baztard with loose rocks and very few trails so you'll need the best boots you can afford with good ankle support otherwise you're gonna roll some ankles on those loose rocks guaranteed. Better make sure those boots have armored rubber rands all around the sides or you'll just smash your feet up anyway.

It sounds like the DWR needs to attach a warning notice to this unit like they do on mostly private land hunts (warning if you are an average joe hunter this unit is steep and has few roads so it may not be the unit for you).

Can we remind and admit to ourselves that hunting isn't supposed to be easy. It should be hard as it always has been in the past. How many times do you visualize the perfect non-stressful hunt, great weather, lots of animals and perfect conditions. Then day one and reality punches you in the mouth. It's hot, bugs everywhere it's dusty and you're thirsty. No game to be seen and soon all the enthusiasm is gone. You are going to have to suck it up and actually hunt if you want success.

It should be hard. Fat lazy phuckers don't deserve those huge trophies on the wall if they didn't earn them. Tag soup isn't something to be ashamed of if you gave it your all unless giving your all means you can barely wipe your azz.

Smart phones, air conditioning and fast food have changed and weakened people faster than Darwin ever would have imagined.

It's a hard unit so put in for the Henry's instead.

Last edited:
I figured you would say as much. Sounds to me like you don't have a very high opinion of the average joe hunters capabilities. I guess we have something in common.

Having few roads is a positive for hunters unless you're a fat-azzed road hunter and then you don't deserve to hunt this unit anyway. Yeah it's a steep rugged baztard with loose rocks and very few trails so you'll need the best boots you can afford with good ankle support otherwise you're gonna roll some ankles on those loose rocks guaranteed. Better make sure those boots have armored rubber rands all around the sides or you'll just smash your feet up anyway.

It sounds like the DWR needs to attach a warning notice to this unit like they do on mostly private land hunts (warning if you are an average joe hunter this unit is steep and has few roads so it may not be the unit for you).

Can we remind and admit to ourselves that hunting isn't supposed to be easy. It should be hard as it always has been in the past. How many times do you visualize the perfect non-stressful hunt, great weather, lots of animals and perfect conditions. Then day one and reality punches you in the mouth. It's hot, bugs everywhere it's dusty and you're thirsty. No game to be seen and soon all the enthusiasm is gone. You are going to have to suck it up and actually hunt if you want success.

It should be hard. Fat lazy phuckers don't deserve those huge trophies on the wall if they didn't earn them. Tag soup isn't something to be ashamed of if you gave it your all unless giving your all means you can barely wipe your azz.

Smart phones, air conditioning and fast food have changed and weakened people faster than Darwin ever would have imagined.

It's a hard unit so put in for the Henry's instead.
Hey that's offensive! You forgot rattlesnakes.

What exactly makes this unit extremely hard to hunt for the average joe hunter?
5 or so years ago, I’d agree that the average joe hunter struggled. Most guys would hunt a couple days and then shoot a 160” 4 point and be missing those 18+ points they just dumped.
The units exploded the last few years, and even non outfitted hunters are killing 180”+ bucks consistently.

5 or so years ago, I’d agree that the average joe hunter struggled. Most guys would hunt a couple days and then shoot a 160” 4 point and be missing those 18+ points they just dumped.
The units exploded the last few years, and even non outfitted hunters are killing 180”+ bucks consistently.
This is one of the points I've been trying to make. The amount of bucks being killed is not exceeding the age case that is getting older. More tags could be given out and people could still kill 180" + bucks.

This is one of the points I've been trying to make. The amount of bucks being killed is not exceeding the age case that is getting older. More tags could be given out and people could still kill 180" + bucks.
Saw this coming the second deadibob made his average Joe response. Good job ridgetop, never miss a lick.

The unit’s producing giant bucks for one reason… antelope island transfer. If you give out more tags, more outfitters will be guided more clients. It’s that simple. It will turn into the Henry’s. Shot out, with 30 spotters for every client, and very few 5+ year old bucks in the unit.
Better yet, why don’t they spread the AI seed around, and up the genetics in some units that could really use a change of pace. Put 100 AI deer on the bookcliffs and I betcha see some toads come out of there in the next few years. Vernon could use a booster shot. Pine valley, Manti, Wasatch, fishlake, etc. A very unique resource that we don’t take advantage of. Just saying…

The unit’s producing giant bucks for one reason… antelope island transfer. If you give out more tags, more outfitters will be guided more clients. It’s that simple. It will turn into the Henry’s. Shot out, with 30 spotters for every client, and very few 5+ year old bucks in the unit.
Better yet, why don’t they spread the AI seed around, and up the genetics in some units that could really use a change of pace. Put 100 AI deer on the bookcliffs and I betcha see some toads come out of there in the next few years. Vernon could use a booster shot. Pine valley, Manti, Wasatch, fishlake, etc. A very unique resource that we don’t take advantage of. Just saying…
The unit is producing big bucks because of a few reasons, not just one. The antelope island genetics sure helped, but what about extending the boundaries and all the great feed the mtn has on it? The division flew and shot predators before the sheep were transplanted, helping deer as well. The oak creek has always had good deer, it's just been improved.

They Did Transplant a few AI Deer around to a few different Units,Not Sure Where All Though?

The Best Genetics In The World Will Never Be Very Good If You Don't Let Some Aging Happen Past 3.5 Years Old!

The unit is producing big bucks because of a few reasons, not just one. The antelope island genetics sure helped, but what about extending the boundaries and all the great feed the mtn has on it? The division flew and shot predators before the sheep were transplanted, helping deer as well. The oak creek has always had good deer, it's just been improved.
This! Extending the boundary line, only took 1 year and all those 3 year old deer that were getting killed on general season we’re left to grow up.

They Did Transplant a few AI Deer around to a few different Units,Not Sure Where All Though?

The Best Genetics In The World Will Never Be Very Good If You Don't Let Some Aging Happen Past 3.5 Years Old!
Every unit has some good genetics we just haven't been able to see them on most units because like you said they never get a chance to grow into their potential.

I dont doubt that one bit, but the bucks above are 100% from the island gene pool.

Looks very similar to this famous island deer.

View attachment 86547
[/QUOTi
I dont doubt that one bit, but the bucks above are 100% from the island gene pool.

Looks very similar to this famous island deer.

View attachment 86547
I have seen bucks similar to the dead buck way before the island showed up! hell I've seen bucks on pauns that look similar to the dead buck who knows if that is an island trait!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom