Fires in San Diego

R

Renegade

I heard some limited information that a hunter was responsible for starting one of the fires in CA? What has everyone else heard?

The news reports and papers have stated that a lost hunter started a signal fire near Julian/Ramona in San Diego, and that's what started that huge fire. 3 days later; 3 lives and 500 homes lost in that particular fire (so far). BTW, my sister's home might be one of those lost (she doesn't know yet, but has been evacuated and is staying 100 miles away with my other sis). I also read that the hunter was arrested, but an investigation is pending.

As far as his fate; my bet is that he'll get off scot free if he just remembers to tell them in court that he was doing EXACTLY what is being taught by the Calif. Hunter Education program. One of the subjects we instructors must teach are the actions you should take when you get yourself lost in the woods. Aside from other things you should do, one of those things taught is that no matter if it's a warm day or not, sit down and make a small fire. It calms your nerves, helps re-build the self-confidence you lost when you realized you got yourself lost, and it provides smoke as a signal.

That's a heck of a good idea in a nice wet forest, but here in Southern California in the middle of fire season with miles of dry tinder all around you, not the smartest thing to do (case in point). As far as my lectures go, I'm definitely gunna revise that part of the course for my classes a little bit......make sure you build a SAFE fire, and not one in Santa Ana conditions. I guess we can't ever assume (but want to think) that a little common sense would be involved anymore........

free, no offense to anyone being threatened by the fires, your kin included - I hope the best for everyone involved, but if what you say is correct, then the guy probably should get off scot free. Whoever wrote the Cali. Hunter Ed. program should have some explaining to do though. Here in Utah, IMO our hunter ed program is a joke and makes young hunters about as safe as a $2 hooker. Better than nothing, and in the field accidents have surely come down since it was made manditory, but more needs to be done. Hunting certainly is not looked upon as highly as it once was by the public, and press like this don't help much - I hope your successful in changing your program.......

I just hope it aint' Blueoak and those damn M-80's!
My first thought was that the media found another way to blame us for something!

Make that count up to 1500 homes lost and over half a million acres burned. Death toll was 13 last I heard and climbing. This place is like a warzone. Going outside is eerie.

Spent all of August this past summer dodging a fire that ate up around 60 homes and 4 busineses including a mill that employed 250 people. We were evacuated twice, without power or water for ten days and the highway was closed two weeks. It felt and looked like the end of the world.Wishing you all the rain were getting now which is so heavy we'll probabaly have a slide and close the highway again.She's been a good year in B.C.

Its All over San Bernadino and San Diego.. Its Creepy For sure! My parents said for 2 days they had to leave the lights on during the day its so dark and they my sister has not even returned to school yet!

Yeah, it sucks. More than 5 families we know have already lost their homes. I had to evacuate and when we returned, no power. (I'm writing from my office)

I have heard conflicting reports, however the news said the guy may have created 3 fires to attract as much attention as possible. I have heard that one of them got out of control. I have also heard that when his friend came they didn't completely extinguish them. This may be speculation... we all know how reliable news anchors are! The fact is, I'm sure hunters are going to take flack for it. But now that his fire started, there are at least 3 new fires... you've gotta conlcude arson on those...

The hunter was given a citation yesterday, and CDF is going to pursue an investigation... They are talking about Felony, Manslaughter, etc...

Also, DFG is considering canceling San Diego D16 deer hunt this year. That would really stink, because this would be my first year hunting deer. (Always been a Dove/Quail guy).

Oh well. There's always next year.

Does Anybody know of a link or aticle on the hiker who started the fires in San Diego??? I have heard many diferent stories and that he is in Jail. Thanks

"Are you a vegitarian, If not then Shut UP!" :D

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom