First experience with Swiss

FrontierGander

Very Active Member
At the rendezvous ( Santa Fe Trail Rendezvous ) one of my lube dealers showed up with a tent full of muzzleloader supplies and what did he have with him? Swiss of course! He had single 1lb cans and then pulled out a kilo ( 2.2lbs ) of 3fg swiss for $42! I ended up buying 2 of them.

I got excellent accuracy, even during the booshway shoot, until I hit 173 yards and the ol fifty ran outta steam :lol:

It's no where near as clean as folks claim. With a greased patch, 4 shots and she was getting real sticky down near the breech. My buddies great plains rifle experienced the same fouling as well, so we switched to a tester bottle of Buckskinners patch lube ( water based ) I had on hand. After that, loading was not an issue.

Very pleased with the powder and especially the price. I'll shoot it mostly for hunting, but do plan to run it over the chronograph.

Yesterday I went out to my new 100 yard bench and sat down with my Traditions St.Louis Hawken.

Accuracy was horrible! Im talking a 17" target and that sucker was all over the place.

Then I remembered that it was doing this at rendezvous on a trail walk when targets were only 20 - 30 yards away and missing by a foot.

I went and bought the swiss and changed out the knight red hot to a tresco nipple. Everything was fine. I figured the Pyrodex P I was shooting at the time, was bad.

It's the friggin knight red hot nipple that was the cause of the piss poor accuracy!

I changed it out on the range today and shot a 4" group right off the bat.

70gr 3fg swiss is pretty hot and shredding my .020" patches, so I changed targets and dropped the charge down to 60gr 3fg swiss.

100 yard results. The bullseye is 3" diameter just to give you an idea on group size.
img_0511.jpg

Next time out I will set up an orange bullseye on brown paper, so its a little easier to see. I have a german silver front sight and that white back ground made for some real iffy aimining.
www.FrontierMuzzleloading.com

Thanks for the review. I've shot Swiss on a couple of occasions in Africa and it worked fine for me. Dirty though. Man, I really love shooting Blackhorn 209 after shooting blackpowder. If I ever went back to a traditional frontsuffer, I might load up a little Swiss. The whole traditional experience is pretty cool!

?I told my pap and mam I was coming to the mountains to trap and be a mountain man. Acted like they was gut-shot...?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom