First Western Hunt Nevada 192- Suggestions?

R

rockclimber

I'm a bowhunter from Pennsylvania. My wife and i have been living in nevada for almost two years now. I drew a archery deer tag for unit 192 in Nevada and am not feeling very confident.

I'm used to whitetails so i was expecting a drastic change but the more research i have done the more my confidence has dropped.

I'm looking for any tips or any info from someone who has hunted this unit before. The NDOW hunter info sheets for unit 192 seems to indicate that the riparian zones at lower elevations on the eastern side of the mountains are the places to go. This seems to be contradictory to everything i have read as far as early season archery hunting goes (high elevation).

I have found some access to the mountains. I have been concentrating on scouting above 7500 feet near my home. I am finding lots of tracks but not seeing many deer. I have been getting out and glassing the hillsides in the late evenings without seeing much. The hillsides are very wooded and finding a good spot to glass from seems almost impossible. There are a few peaks that are above treeline and i have been checking out treeline at dusk also. Overall it is alot more wooded than i was expecting which is making looking for deer alot more difficult.

Any tips?
Wise words?
A joke?

Don't get me wrong i'll have fun no matter what. I'm sure i'll learn lots and realize that i made tons of mistakes. Just "applying" for a tag was a new experience....In PA you buy a tag....and chances are pretty good that you will hit one or two with the car on your way home from the sporting goods store.

thanks
KT

rockclimber,
I can't offer you any advice on your area except, spend as much time on the mountain as possible.

BTW, I like your attitude :)...good luck.

I saw a nice buck this morning between Genoa and Walleys but of course that is privite land. Have you been on the road behind the NDOT maintenance station by sponner summit? I had this tag 10 years ago and hunted on the top right above Genoa and saw some bucks but it was a tough hunt. You might want to look behind the Jacks Valley school I know it is a wintering range but some deer stay in there year round. Good Luck let me know if you have more questions. Ryan

Thanks for the tips. Yes i have found access to the ridge above Genoa. I saw tons of deer in genoa over the winter, figured at least some had to head up the mountains to higher elevations. How much farther could they go....before they run into the lake? I'm beginning to wonder if the golf courses in genoa offer too much in the way of food and water....

I feel a bit weird about the private land out west. Don't get me wrong it almost all private back east but EVERYONE hunts or knows someone who does. I feel comfortable walking up to any farm and asking permission back east. But out west it seems that hunting is looked down upon. I have been trying to stick to public land just to avoid knocking on doors. Has anyone had good luck asking permission? any bad experiences?

Anyhow i'll be headed out one day this weekend. I was really dissapointed that i didn't get to hunt last year so I am really looking forward to it...sure to be fun.

Good luck to anyone else heading out.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom