Fish and Chips

Blank

Long Time Member
Girls were really wanting to finish off the Mac 'n cheese, so they told me to get my own dinner tonight. This is the first day it's been above 40 degrees since November, so time to break out the fryer.

While I was running around on errands, the Bank, and Post Office I swung by the grocery and got a nice fresh cod filet. Cut into 3 big pieces, and it was almost too much!!! I do love fish and chips, with malt vinegar tho!!

0639125E-BC42-4583-B374-627CF4DC12D9_1_201_a.jpeg

0BFD7CB8-895C-4783-B06B-B2F447585BC2_1_201_a.jpeg

I love light batter for English style F&C with really tender white fish, and heavier corn meal for coarse saltwater fish, like redfish or drum. This is super simple, and one I can always remember.

1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 cup milk
1 egg

Mix dry together, add wet and mix again. Let stand 20 minutes and fry at 350-360 degrees. Comes out perfect.

Oh lard ! I am a fish & chip junkie , every vacation anywhere we go I search for two things
F&C and Ruben sandwich

Hawaiian islands And New York City !!

Up there, you probably see Pacific cod, or pacific pollock. Same mild white filets, although the cod is a little better, sweeter, and about double the cost. Would be a lot like you ground fish, or rockfish.

Same for Atlantic cod-they try to substitute pollock, haddock, or hake for it, but not as good. I always try to find wild-caught Cod if I can.

I’ve caught a lot of cod but have always let them go. Might have to keep the next ones, didn’t know people ate them.

When Haibut was basically unlimited up there, I would have left them too! Hoping for Friday for that also. :)

That Looks really good there Blank, The best I ever had was at the bamboo room in Haines Alaska ,but that was halibut. Sadly they are now closed and for sale

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom